Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a Windshield!

We own a 1997 Sunsetter and her windshield and frame were taken out by a tree this winter. We can't get a windshield from Malibu or Taylor made. Any help on where to find a replacement windshield would be appreciated, or if anyone knows of a low value boat ie: blown engine, with the same windshield that would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

Mark

We own a 1997 Sunsetter and her windshield and frame were taken out by a tree this winter. We can't get a windshield from Malibu or Taylor made. Any help on where to find a replacement windshield would be appreciated, or if anyone knows of a low value boat ie: blown engine, with the same windshield that would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

Mark

I will be replacing my windshield with Lexan. It is a fraction of the cost and a DIY project for me and my son. I had no luck finding anything that was not a fortune to either make or ship. I did a quick seach and found that the impact resistance and flexibility make for a fairly straight forward fix. You will need some sort of template and if yours is like mine, the metal edging that mounts it to the hull.

I just replaced mine last week. I used bronzed lexan. It was easy and makes a nice looking job. I too could not find factory glass from Malibu or Taylor.

Fortunately for you guys, the glass you're replacing is all flat. A '97 Sunsetter is going to have curves in both axis, which will make for a MUCH more difficult DIY job.

To the OP, I think finding a salvage boat is probably your best bet of getting a factory replacement. Outside of that, I'm not sure you'll have many options if both Malibu and Taylor Made are out of them.

Fortunately for you guys, the glass you're replacing is all flat. A '97 Sunsetter is going to have curves in both axis, which will make for a MUCH more difficult DIY job.

To the OP, I think finding a salvage boat is probably your best bet of getting a factory replacement. Outside of that, I'm not sure you'll have many options if both Malibu and Taylor Made are out of them.

my windshield is curved one if not both axis and not flat. That was part of the beauty of the lexan in that, with the frame work it will flex to fit.

my windshield is curved one if not both axis and not flat. That was part of the beauty of the lexan in that, with the frame work it will flex to fit.

Sure, but can it stop a bullet?

Right, but it doesn't have the amount of curvature that a Sunsetter from '95-'01 has. Without some heat, there's now way Lexan will flex to fit.

Sure, but can it stop a bullet?

That's a good point, if I had a dime for every time I needed my windshield to stop a bullet...

I used 1/4" lexan. I put it in the direct sunlight to warm it for better bendability...Bends like cooked spagetti noodles.

Thanks,

Mark

Like Skicrave said try putting a search out in some marine salvage yards or insurance compaines - there must be few 97 Sunsetters thatr are scrap.

Taylor made can make you a windshield? They take a long time to get but i don't see any reason why Taylor made can't, e-mail me your Hull ID number and if you still have it there is a clear Taylor made sticker on the port side windsheild that has taylor mades part number

I would love you help you out if you need it

You can e-mail me directly at [email protected]

I used 1/4" lexan. I put it in the direct sunlight to warm it for better bendability...Bends like cooked spagetti noodles.

Jason,

Can you post a pic of your boat with the bronze lexan. I was lucky enough to get one of the last two windshields for the 91 euro skier about 2 years ago. It was a pain in the a** installing the taylor made windshield. I had to flex the windshield to get it to fit. I called the dealer when I got the windshield out of the box and it didnt fit the curvature of teh boat. he said that its normal to flex the windshield to install. Scary...but it worked.

Jamie

Jason,

Can you post a pic of your boat with the bronze lexan. I was lucky enough to get one of the last two windshields for the 91 euro skier about 2 years ago. It was a pain in the a** installing the taylor made windshield. I had to flex the windshield to get it to fit. I called the dealer when I got the windshield out of the box and it didnt fit the curvature of teh boat. he said that its normal to flex the windshield to install. Scary...but it worked.

Jamie

Yes I will post some pics of the boat when I have it competed...Should be done in 2 more weeks!

Taylor made can make you a windshield? They take a long time to get but i don't see any reason why Taylor made can't, e-mail me your Hull ID number and if you still have it there is a clear Taylor made sticker on the port side windsheild that has taylor mades part number

I was speaking to someone at Taylor Made recently as I thought I may need a new windsheild. They said they could make a new one if I gave them the correct part #. Luckily I managed to fix my old one as a new one was going to be very expensive. Hopefully the guys insurance will take care of it. My insurance didn't want to take my claim.

Edited by Arkid

Talk about a dealer with some service!!! Thumbup.gif