Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

sunsetter ballast

mickey119

what is the best set up for a 96 sunsetter lx? right now I have a launch pad 540 in the back along with 100 lbs of lead. I have 250 in the ski locker. The wake is good at 20 mph but its really wide. I like to ride at 24ish and the wake starts to flaten out by then. any advice?? thanks!

That answer depends on your riding abilities primarily. If you are okay with riding at a true 24mph (some speedo's and PP can be grossly off) then you will want substantial weight for a good wake at that speed. The general formula is that as your riding progresses you will add length to the rope and ride at a faster speed. The result is the need for more weight as a result (plus a very good foundation of fundamentals to get "pop" out of the wake).

Now onto weight. Generally weight in the bow results in a less vertical wake, while weight in the back will result in a more vertical wake. I am not sure as to what you need specifically since i do not have experience with that hull. Generally most boat I have rode behind require somewhere in the range of 60% weight in the back and 40% in the front. Based on this very simple concept I am betting you are far too rear heavy.

Now, personally I would stick a 500 on each side of the motor and one in the bow, plus the 250 in the locker to see where you get.

And remember more weight = more strain on the motor, harder to drive (like a tank) and propping down is likely needed as well.

Keep us posted.

That answer depends on your riding abilities primarily. If you are okay with riding at a true 24mph (some speedo's and PP can be grossly off) then you will want substantial weight for a good wake at that speed. The general formula is that as your riding progresses you will add length to the rope and ride at a faster speed. The result is the need for more weight as a result (plus a very good foundation of fundamentals to get "pop" out of the wake).

Now onto weight. Generally weight in the bow results in a less vertical wake, while weight in the back will result in a more vertical wake. I am not sure as to what you need specifically since i do not have experience with that hull. Generally most boat I have rode behind require somewhere in the range of 60% weight in the back and 40% in the front. Based on this very simple concept I am betting you are far too rear heavy.

Now, personally I would stick a 500 on each side of the motor and one in the bow, plus the 250 in the locker to see where you get.

And remember more weight = more strain on the motor, harder to drive (like a tank) and propping down is likely needed as well.

Keep us posted.

This is what we do in our '95 Sunsetter also. 2- 560 on each side of the engine about a foot back from the seat, and a 360 in the locker filled to what will fit in it. No lead... should the boat get swamped, I don't want it to sink! We usually have 4-6 people on board, 2 up front and the rest in back.

Forgot to add that we have the wedge down also.

Edited by Sunsetter95
Guest J-Ro

Wedge? If so toss a sack in the walkway and you're golden with the set up you have. If not, the best wake I have gotten out of that hull was 500 behind motor, 250 or so on each side of the motor, sack in the locker and a sack in the walkway.

no wedge Cry.gif but im going to try 540 on each side of the motor, the locker sac and 250 in the walkway. I will let you all know how that turns out.