Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Access

Bondo

Hey Crew,

Has anyone cut their own wedge access hole in their wood swim-platform. I am not sure what hardware I should purchase as far as hinges and some sort of latching mechanism.

Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bondo

Any wood platform I have ever seen has the hole cut in from the factory. Are you talking about putting on a generic Teak platform and mod'ing it for wedge?

Just wondering... Dontknow.gif

Hey Crew,

Has anyone cut their own wedge access hole in their wood swim-platform. I am not sure what hardware I should purchase as far as hinges and some sort of latching mechanism.

Thanks,

Bondo

Any wood platform I have ever seen has the hole cut in from the factory. Are you talking about putting on a generic Teak platform and mod'ing it for wedge?

I think '99 was the first year that they had the hole in the platform (as an option), then '00 it became standard.

Hey Crew,

Thanks,

Bondo

I've done it on my '98.

Shoot me a PM and I'll send you a pdf of the measurements required.

Edit: Look here, there's some photos and details I posted previously:

Teak Deck Refinishing

Edited by Mechmaster

I did it on our '98 as well. You can purchase the latch through your local dealer, and the hinge is just a stainless steel piano hinge.

I think '99 was the first year that they had the hole in the platform (as an option), then '00 it became standard.

I don't know when they became standard, but on my '99 SSLxi, it was absent. Pain in the neck with the SSLxi.

When I did mine I pulled the middle two slats off, cut them on a radial arm saw. I used the pieces as the door. I modified the existing underbraces to use for the door support. The only thing I bought was the latch & the hinge. Everything else was exisiting............

I installed an access door on my '95. I have had three people standing on it with no issues. It is still solid after three seasons.

Wedge Door

I don't know when they became standard, but on my '99 SSLxi, it was absent. Pain in the neck with the SSLxi.

My 99 SLXI has the opening.

To the OP, it's a matter a preference (and maybe if I lived in MN I would have a different opinion :) ), but I wouldn't bother installing it. I find at least 1/2 the time I need to jump into the water anyhow to put enough pressure on the wedge to free up the pins.

My wedge pins release and I pull it up with one hand. Polish up your pins and the holes. Some have said that they had to grind a little bit off the tips because they were draging on the mounting plate. Check it out.

My wedge pins release and I pull it up with one hand. Polish up your pins and the holes. Some have said that they had to grind a little bit off the tips because they were draging on the mounting plate. Check it out.

Thanks - I'll check out the tips & mounting plate. I do grease the pins, but still find once it's really been under a lot of load that I need to push on the wedge fin with my feet to release the pressure and get the pins to move. It's usually blazing hot when we are using the wedge, so I don't mind jumping in to cool off instead of reaching through the wedge door :)

Hey Crew,

Thanks,

Bondo

If you want more pics of the way I did my door, PM me and I will send them. There are several members that have put doors in. I think it use to be in the DIY section for a while.

Hey guys.... I have the fiberglass platform for my 03 rlx with the door access for the wedge. Problem is last year, my brother pulled it up real quick and didn't close the door all the way... and when we got back to the boathouse....it was not there... so does anybody know if you can buy just the door for the platforms or would i have to get a new platform? its just a pain in the arss when somebody steps down to the platform and their leg goes through the platform haha.

Thanks Crew for all the help.

I have PM'd a couple of you for some more pictures.

This site is awesome!

Thanks Again

Bondo

Edited by Bondo

I appreciate it! Ill have to get on the website and see what the closest dealer is...I bought the boat from a tournament host after their one season (2 tournaments) of use. Ill see what I can do...until then its just a "watch that first step" thing ... haha