Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change

I can really get use to this. I have had a few questions on this site with great tips so far. I guess why stop a good thing now.

I'm looking for the easiest and best way to change the oil in the boat. Also what grade people are using. One more thing can I run the boat out of the water? I use to have an outboard with ear muffs to do this but not sure how to hook up water to a 2002 Wakesetter VLX. Thanks for the help in advance.

Assuming you have the Monsoon engine, you will want 15W-40 oil. I use Napa, but others work just as well.

There are quite a few threads on oil changes and use of a Fake-a-Lake (which is what you can use to run the engine out of the water). I use an oil extracter and make use of a gallon size baggie when taking off the filter (Napa Gold 1069).

Another way to run the engine off the water is to install a Perko flush kit.

You'll need a fake a lake to run the boat out of the water. Do a search. It's basically the same as the ear muffs. DO NOT PUT THE BOAT IN GEAR ON LAND.

For oil, the book recommends approx. 5 qts. of 15-40. I use Penzoil Marine avail. at West marine. Filter will be any of these: Merc. 35-802885T or newer 35-866340K01

Penn. PZ3, NAPA gold 1069, AC PF25

Penske PN30, Fram PH30, Puro. L20049

Castrol CM30, Motorcraft FL10,

Quaker State QS30, Wix 51069

If you can drain the oil from the oil drain tube through the lage plug in the hull, that'd be the easiest. Otherwise, you'll need an oil pump/vacuum/evaucator. Do a search.

Good topic here.

You'll need a fake a lake to run the boat out of the water. Do a search. It's basically the same as the ear muffs. DO NOT PUT THE BOAT IN GEAR ON LAND.

Or, you can loosen the C-clamps to the proximal end of the raw water uptake hose, pull the hose off

of the raw water intake, and insert a garden hose down 12-15 inches. Turn it on before you start

your engine, or roughly at the same time if you have an assistant, and keep an eye on the temp.

gauge. Sure, it's a little more of a hassle, but you don't have to worry about the fake-a-lake

getting dislodged as you crawl in and out of the boat. Just gradually adjust the flow rate down

so water is not spilling back out of the proximal hose end, or pull the plugs and let it overflow

all it wants.

I use a vacuum oil extractor for the oil, but I insert it into the larger diameter oil drain hose

coming from the pan rather than from the dipstick. Takes about 15 minutes or so.

And, I use Pennzoil Diesel 15W-40 'cause I can find it at just about any auto-parts store.

Or, you can loosen the C-clamps to the proximal end of the raw water uptake hose, pull the hose off

of the raw water intake, and insert a garden hose down 12-15 inches. Turn it on before you start

your engine, or roughly at the same time if you have an assistant, and keep an eye on the temp.

gauge. Sure, it's a little more of a hassle, but you don't have to worry about the fake-a-lake

getting dislodged as you crawl in and out of the boat. Just gradually adjust the flow rate down

so water is not spilling back out of the proximal hose end, or pull the plugs and let it overflow

all it wants.

I use a vacuum oil extractor for the oil, but I insert it into the larger diameter oil drain hose

coming from the pan rather than from the dipstick. Takes about 15 minutes or so.

And, I use Pennzoil Diesel 15W-40 'cause I can find it at just about any auto-parts store.

When you insert the oil extractor into the oil drain hose, how do you make a seal? Does your oil extractor thread onto the oil drain hose? Do you vacuum the oil up over the top of the engine from the oil drain hose, or do you feed the oil exractor hose thru the bilge drain hole and then connect it to the drain hose? Thanks.

Edited by Cory

all it wants.

When you insert the oil extractor into the oil drain hose, how do you make a seal? Does your oil extractor thread onto the oil drain hose? Do you vacuum the oil up over the top of the engine from the oil drain hose, or do you feed the oil exractor hose thru the bilge drain hole and then connect it to the drain hose? Thanks.

Cory, yes you can get fittings from Home Depot to attach some extractors to your drain hose. My Tempo oil boy came with a garden hose size attachment at the end. I went to home depot and picked up a couple of brass fittings to reduce it to drain hose fitting size. I have a pic of mine in a earlier threads out there in search land.

EDIT: Found it!

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....1580&st=40#

Edited by Addictedto6