Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just a quick question. Does it matter what end of the impeller goes on first. Seems to fit both ways, any issue with this. The last impeller had zero fins and a new one was needed bad. Could this have hurt the motor (Monsoon) in any way. It never overheated. Also a quick run down of how each of you change the impeller would help. Thanks.

Edited by JRo
name='JRo' date='May 11 2008, 11:00 AM' post='240735']

Just a quick question. Does it matter what end of the impeller goes on first. Seems to fit both ways, any issue with this. The last impeller had zero fines and a new one was needed bad. Could this have hurt the motor (Monsoon) in any way. It never overheated. Also a quick run down of how each of you change the impeller would help. Thanks.

• it doesn't matter which way the impeller goes in.
    hurt the motor? depends how long you drove it without the engine getting water. it there is not any water getting to the engine, the temp sensor might not be able to determine if the motor is overheating, so the engine could be overheating and you would not know it.
    have you taken the old one out already? otherwise i think most guys use 2 screwdrivers and pry/wiggle it out. i use an impeller puller.

[

I would go looking for those fins (or fines as you call them). They probably ended up in the trans. cooler screen and will block the flow of water with the new impeller installed.

I think I'd be looking for all the rubber pieces too. Pull the hose(s) between the impeller housing & the trans cooling screen & I imagine you will find most of it, clogging the water's path.

I had a heck of a time getting the impeller out of the housing. In the past with an DD I've used a pair of paint can openers to do the job. But because this boat is a v-drive, & the motor faces backwards, it was tough to get any tools, much less two hands, back there to get it out. I tried needle nose pliers but wasn't making any progress. The process I ended up making work was using a paint can opener with a piece of string tied to the end of it. I'd tie off one end of the string so I couldn't lose it if I dropped it. Then run the paint can opener back over the muffler, & then into the impeller housing. With one hand I could thread it in & hook the impeller, then with the other hand I could pull the string. Then move the paint can opener to the other side of the impeller, pull the string, move it again, etc. Took just a couple of minutes.

post-821-1210533464_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. That is what I did. The impeller came off easy but the new one was a little tight seeing that it had fins on it, haha. I just was not sure about it's universal instalation the fins seemed straight but can't be to sure. I did find pieces on the screen and removerd them. Thanks Again.

Also helps during removal/installation to spray a little binding lube in the housing, if you can get to it.

JRo, where are you located in the Finger Lakes? I'm out past Caz.

Also helps during removal/installation to spray a little binding lube in the housing, if you can get to it.

JRo, where are you located in the Finger Lakes? I'm out past Caz.

Yeah, we just bought a cottage on Canandaigua Lake. We just fell in love with the spot, water is perfect and lake is very well protected. Enjoy the summer.