Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pins won't stay in Illusion X Tower

Malibusteve

My 2007 has an illusion x tower. the pins are constantly wiggling themselves out. This is going to severly injure someone when it crashes down on a head. Anybody had this problem? What was the fix? Dealer has been closed so I haven't had a chance to aske them about it yet

malibusteve

Lower the tower and adjust the tension on the spring/ball holding the pins in on top of the tower base. Turn the set screw on top of the pin slowly while sliding the pins in and out until they get to where you can just pull them out.

strange, we're having a hard time putting the pins in and getting them out. I have to use pliers on one because i can't turn it out of the lock position

strange, we're having a hard time putting the pins in and getting them out. I have to use pliers on one because i can't turn it out of the lock position

Have some one stand under the front of the tower and move the top of the tower up & down while you turn the ring out of it's locking tab. If it's hard to pull the pin, it can be adjusted like I posted above. Ideally, it's adjusted correctly when it will not turn by it's self and work it's self out.

Although I've seen towers with the set screws adjusted correctly (any tighter and the pins are impossible to remove, even with pliers) still walk themselves out while towing the boat or running through rough water.

Doesnt the pin have a key ring style ring on the end that retains it in place were you put it in and turn it. Just a thought

Doesnt the pin have a key ring style ring on the end that retains it in place were you put it in and turn it. Just a thought

Hi Dennis,

Yes the key ring thingy is supposed to retain the pins unless you turn them out of the locked position. Unfortunately, mine wiggle themselves out of the retained position and are then free to more easily back out.

Yep, that's exactly what I've seen too. It's just a flawed system.

skicrave,

i wonder what malibu's answer to this is? I'll be dammed if I'm going to baby sit those pins. $50k-$60k should be enough to fix this flaw. Don't you think?

Mine got worse through the season and I believe its related to the plastic bushings wearing and the extra movement allows them to wiggle out easier. Have the bushings replaced. If you have an awesome dealer like mine, it won't cost you a dime.

I would much rather have the non-quick pin tower like my 05 was - solid as a rock.

We put our tower down everytime so it works out well for us. But with the removal of the pins I thought it would be easy to lose one, so I was wondering a good reasonably priced place to get a spare or two

I had a problem with one of my pins always coming out. I found that the set screw with the spring ball was drilled off center of the pin, so there was no way to adjust the pin any tighter, as it would lock the pin in solid.