Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 Model Monsoon and Hammerhead Exhaust System Issues

Here is some important information for owners of 2008 model Monsoon and Hammerhead engines. Indmar issued a service bulletin to the Malibu dealers asking them to inspect the exhaust elbows on a group of 2008 model Monsoon and Hammerhead engines starting with engine serial number 144156 and ending with serial number 146758. Some of the engines in this group may have been built with exhaust elbows that have restricted water passages that will not allow sufficient water flow to cool the exhaust hoses adequately. This is issue didn't show up at our end of line test at Indmar or at Malibu's lake test because the engines are not run long enough or under the right conditions to have the problem occur.

Inspection is simple. We have provided a measuring tool to the dealers to allow them to remove the exhaust hose and measure the gap between the inner and outer wall of the exhaust elbow. If the gap is too small, they are to replace the elbow. The whole process is pretty simple. If you have an engine in this group and already have some hours on it without experiencing a problem, your exhaust elbows are probably just fine. Most of the failures we have seen have occurred in the first 10 hours of operation.

Indmar is very sorry about this situation. We are dedicated to provide our our customers with the best products possible. Unfortunately when you are on the leading edge of technology, unexpected problems occur.

Larry Engelbert

Director of Customer Service

Indmar Marine Engines

thanks for the info.

i missed that potential problem by 1100 engines. I have just over 30 hours on my 340 with no problems.

what kind of problems/failures occured? overheating? exhaust hose failure?

thanks for the info.

i missed that potential problem by 1100 engines. I have just over 30 hours on my 340 with no problems.

what kind of problems/failures occured? overheating? exhaust hose failure?

The exhaust hoses are exposed to hot exhaust gasses without having sufficient water to cool them down resulting in a hole being melted in the hose. That serial number range does not indicate how many units are in the group. At Indmar, the next engine going down the line gets the next serial number so there are other engines with serial numbers between that upper and lower number. They might even be engines built for another manufacturer. If I recall correctly there around 600 Malibu units affected.

Larry Engelbert

Larry, thank you for your presence and information provided here. I wish the fuel line problem in 03 was announced in a similar fashion.

Larry, thank you for your presence and information provided here. I wish the fuel line problem in 03 was announced in a similar fashion.

Ouch Jack, that stings. Can't you even let it get to page 2 before you dredge up past history? :)

Peter

Thank you for posting this info in such a timely manner. It appears that the Monsoon engine in my VLX is within the recall range and I've made a request for my dealer to take a look. Thanks for the early notice - I'm glad you gave me this info before I used the boat this weekend. Thumbup.gif

Larry/Inmar, Thanks for being up front, as much as you can on issues like this. I just put the first 2.1 hours on the new Bu and just check the serial # 146316. Is it advisable to haul it back to the dealer or just wait for the 10hour service? So far following the break-in procedure. I did check all rubber and fittings at 2 hours and all seemed OK.

Larry/Inmar, Thanks for being up front, as much as you can on issues like this. I just put the first 2.1 hours on the new Bu and just check the serial # 146316. Is it advisable to haul it back to the dealer or just wait for the 10hour service? So far following the break-in procedure. I did check all rubber and fittings at 2 hours and all seemed OK.

Most of the issues we have seen happen very early in the life of the engine. I would suspect thet you will be OK to have the check done at the 10 hour. I wouldcheck the exhaust hoses periodically just to make sure. When there is a problem the exhaust hoses actually get a hole melted in them.

Ouch Jack, that stings. Can't you even let it get to page 2 before you dredge up past history? :)

Peter

:lol: Meant it as a compliment, the more info provided the better! And as I recall, someone did alert us to the problem in 03. Whistling.gif

Anyway, I'm checking my exhaust hoses carefully when I run the boat. But since you chimed in here, maybe you should take a trip out here--and bring your TOOLS! ;)

Most of the issues we have seen happen very early in the life of the engine. I would suspect thet you will be OK to have the check done at the 10 hour. I wouldcheck the exhaust hoses periodically just to make sure. When there is a problem the exhaust hoses actually get a hole melted in them.

Larry thanks. I am in break in at about 5 hours and motor needs to be checked as it is in affected range. Since the water temp is still pretty low (52) right now, will that help, or is it irrelavent? Have the failures been in warmer water conditions? I'd like to get the full 7 hour break in before taking it in for initial check.

Also -are all motors in the serial number range positively affected, or just possibly affected, and need to be checked. Thanks.

Larry thanks. I am in break in at about 5 hours and motor needs to be checked as it is in affected range. Since the water temp is still pretty low (52) right now, will that help, or is it irrelavent? Have the failures been in warmer water conditions? I'd like to get the full 7 hour break in before taking it in for initial check.

Also -are all motors in the serial number range positively affected, or just possibly affected, and need to be checked. Thanks.

The water temperature has nothing to do with it. Not all engines in the group will be affected. In fact we expect to see a small number of affected engines. We just want to get them checked to avoid problems ... and unhappy customers.

Larry

Peter

:lol: Meant it as a compliment, the more info provided the better! And as I recall, someone did alert us to the problem in 03. Whistling.gif

Anyway, I'm checking my exhaust hoses carefully when I run the boat. But since you chimed in here, maybe you should take a trip out here--and bring your TOOLS! ;)

I SHOULD do that Jack, I could use a ski or two. About the tools, well, my notice lied or the postman stole it, for I didn't get a gauge from them. I was planning on requesting one though, maybe even one for you too. :)

Peter

I SHOULD do that Jack, I could use a ski or two. About the tools, well, my notice lied or the postman stole it, for I didn't get a gauge from them. I was planning on requesting one though, maybe even one for you too. :)

Peter

Thumbup.gifClap.gif

Hhhmmmm. . .I would imagine a test-drive would be required following each inspection? And because I like to be thorough, I probably should ski behind each one as well? Crazy.gif

Hhhmmmm. . .I would imagine a test-drive would be required following each inspection? And because I like to be thorough, I probably should ski behind each one as well? Crazy.gif

When are you coming over to check mine?

When are you coming over to check mine?

When are you going to put it in the water?! Whistling.gif

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but this failure happened to me this weekend on my 2012 Response Txi with only 2.4 hours. I found a hole in the side of the exhaust hose on the starboard side. Dealer thinks it is from this issue since the exhauset manifold wasn't hot and the engine didn't throw any codes. Looks like an easy fix but I wanted people to know it is still a potential issue.

BlastRLXi, what engine do you have in your TXi? I believe this may be due to the tip direction rather than water flow, but I'll let Indmar address that.

Peter

BlastRLXi, what engine do you have in your TXi? I believe this may be due to the tip direction rather than water flow, but I'll let Indmar address that.

Peter

Peter,

It's the monsoon. Can you elaborate on your tip direction theory? I pulled the exhaust hose off to try to check the tip but it was difficult to get my head in to see without pulling the tip off the manifold. Both tips (port and starboard) looked to be angled the same. I was surprised that Indmar would let this continue to happen if they supposedly addressed this issue in 2008. Wouldn't all the tips put on the engines since the problem was discovered be inspected at Indmar before the engine was shipped?

Thanks,

Bob

Sorry to bring up an old thread but this failure happened to me this weekend on my 2012 Response Txi with only 2.4 hours. I found a hole in the side of the exhaust hose on the starboard side. Dealer thinks it is from this issue since the exhauset manifold wasn't hot and the engine didn't throw any codes. Looks like an easy fix but I wanted people to know it is still a potential issue.

Any pictures?

Any pictures?

No, I didn't take any but I can once I get back down to the boat. The service bulletin from Indmar is Bulletin SB2008-3MB dated April 23, 2008. The bulletin gives good pictures of what to look for and how to test the gap that is required for proper water flow through the passage.

If your engine is the same as this one http://www.indmar.com/Engine/malibu/5.7lmonsoon.aspx then it has a completely different exhaust manifold than what was used on 2008 and therefore this bulletin will not apply to your situation even though the symptoms are the same. Have done a quick check in the Indmar doco but don't see anything for the new gen headers there yet but have sent an email to Indmar for comment.

Blast, with the Monsoon it may be the same issue, but bear in mind these are still welded together by hand, by people welding thousands every year. It's not hard to fathom a mistake here or there.

There was similar issue on the newer tube-in-tube manifolds, where the outlet was perfect for one application and just enough off on angle for another application, so that the hot exhaust would create a boil on the inside of an exhaust hose and eventually melt a hole. By changing the outlet angle a few degrees they fixed it for all applications, but these were not in use on your Monsoon in 2012.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

I certainly understand a manufacturing defect can occur when these parts ars made. My issue was that there was no inspection of these parts with the go/no go gauge that Indmar made for this reason. The exhaust dumps are easily inspected either before or after installation and should have been done before it shipped from Indmar.

Is there any way to tell if the angle of the exhaust dump is off. The hole was burned on the starboard side exhaust hose directly toward the starter. There was some water spray coming out of the hole at idle but it wasn't much.

Thanks,

Bob