Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

water pump

I have a 2007 v ride approx 70hrs. The boat will going to the dealership for annual maintenance. (oil etc)

The mechanic adivised that there are two water pumps and that the seal or rubber flapper on one of the pumps should be replaced. ($125) What does the crew think

Ron A

I have a 2007 v ride approx 70hrs. The boat will going to the dealership for annual maintenance. (oil etc)

The mechanic adivised that there are two water pumps and that the seal or rubber flapper on one of the pumps should be replaced. ($125) What does the crew think

Ron A

Two water pumps Dontknow.gif Never heard of that before. ICBW, but I'm pretty sure that the only water pump is the impellar housing :unsure: I believe the "rubber flapper" that he's talking about is the impeller, and if he's charging you $125 for that, then I'd go pick my boat up Ranting.gif

Edit: Part should cost you about $30 and takes 15 min to change out. Sorry for the rant, just don't like people being overcharged!

Edited by SCOTTDOMINE

There are two separate water pumps. The first is the raw water pump, the one with the impeller (flapper), and it should be changed every year. As far as the cost, the part is $30 but, ~$100 to change it does seem a little high.

The second water pump is the water circulating pump. Remember, these are basically car engines. A Monsoon has a Chevy water pump mounted right on the front of the motor and is driven by the belt.

Pete's got the two pumps identified. There really is no maintenance to the engine circulating pump. It either works or leaks. He does have a v-drive, and the dealer makes a profit on parts, so they're probably charging an hour labor to do the swap. I don't think that's totally out of line. But it's not a hard job for the mechanically inclined.

Edited by vette-ski
There are two separate water pumps. The first is the raw water pump, the one with the impeller (flapper), and it should be changed every year. As far as the cost, the part is $30 but, ~$100 to change it does seem a little high.

The second water pump is the water circulating pump. Remember, these are basically car engines. A Monsoon has a Chevy water pump mounted right on the front of the motor and is driven by the belt.

Thks for tips- "The Crew Knew"

Ron A

• 1 year later...
Pete's got the two pumps identified. There really is no maintenance to the engine circulating pump. It either works or leaks. He does have a v-drive, and the dealer makes a profit on parts, so they're probably charging an hour labor to do the swap. I don't think that's totally out of line. But it's not a hard job for the mechanically inclined.

How much can the circulating pump on a 2001 Monsoon leak before needing to replace? When i fired the boat up after the winter lay-up...a fairly steady drip / stream was leaking. First time ever.

There is a seal between the impeller housing & the engine water pump. I've never replaced it but I suppose it could leak without the pump being bad.

There is also a weep hole on the underside of the engine water pump. When it leaks, the bearing/bushing inside the pump is failing. So it's time for a new water pump. Their not marine specific so you can save a little money & get one from your local Napa type auto parts store.

The raw water pump Pete mentioned is electric & located down in the bilge, usually mounted to a stringer. Follow the water intake from the hull, to the v-drive, then the raw water pump, then to the engine.

Lots of threads on here about replacing the impeller. It's a bit of a PITA, but there are tricks to make it happen a little easier. Heres a recent thread.

A marine circulator pump has different bearing and material construction to deal with raw water versus engine coolant.

So I would go with a marine circ pump versus an automotive one. YMMV

-Chris