Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement Guages

It appears my fuel gauge has gone bad. I've checked all the wiring and even tried a replacement MDC. Once powered up, the gauge quivers like it's going to move, but nothing happens. It looks almost like it's stuck.

The oil pressure and voltage works fine.

Any ideas? The actual gauge is sealed. I've thought about drilling a small hole and running a coat hanger up to try and "break it" loose...

What does a new gauge cost?

Edited by gtsportster

have you gone to the other end, and tested the sensor. pull the sensor from the tank, and manually move it up and down. also test the ohms. depending on which sender is in there, the range is something like 0 to .15 (that's what is was on my fish boat).

It appears my fuel gauge has gone bad. I've checked all the wiring and even tried a replacement MDC. Once powered up, the gauge quivers like it's going to move, but nothing happens. It looks almost like it's stuck.

Any ideas? The actual gauge is sealed. I've thought about drilling a small hole and running a coat hanger up to try and "break it" loose...

You can ground the gauge out to see if it's working! http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/alfa/45/svc8x66.htm

Good Luck, it's an easy fix!

Edited by 68Slalom
have you gone to the other end, and tested the sensor. pull the sensor from the tank, and manually move it up and down. also test the ohms. depending on which sender is in there, the range is something like 0 to .15 (that's what is was on my fish boat).

I've checked on the ohms at the sender. In fact I just put in a new sending unit thinking that might be the problem (plus I wanted a better unit per some of the recommendations here).

Thanks

You can ground the gauge out to see if it's working! http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/alfa/45/svc8x66.htm

Good Luck, it's an easy fix!

How do I do that? It's actually a combination gauge, fuel/temp/voltage. There are four wires, but apparently they are not designated to a specific gauge. Tthe speedometer has four wire also. I've checked the voltages accross all the wires on each separate gauge. The voltage on the working gauges (speedo & tach) appear to be the same as the non working.

I believe the MDC is adding a level of complexity that I can't seem to follow...

Thanks for the link. I'll investigate some more.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm having the same exact problem with my 02 sunsetter,i have changed out the sending unit,and also burned a small hole to in the face plate to see if it was stuck. i would love to know what you did to fix the fuel guage problem? thanks