Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WTB Fake-a-lake, & oil pump

This seems like a topic that has probably been asked to death, but I did a search and couldn't find anything. Forgive me if I'm repeating a common question.

I just got a lesson from my dealer on how to change the oil in my HH383 engine, and I now am determined to do all my own oil changes in the future. I could have purchased an oil pump and fake-a-lake from my dealer, but I was convinced that there must be a group buy for these items on the BuCrew. I don't find any such deal, so I guess I'll ask the question:

What brand of oil removal pump should I buy, and where should I buy it? (his was 12v operated, and he hooked it to the starter cable for power)

What brand of "fake-a-lake" should I buy, and where should I buy it?

My dealer also had a really cool oil can that he put the fresh oil into the engine with. It had a flexible line from the bottom of the can, and a valve on that line, so he could put the line into the oil filler opening and then open the valve to fill it with oil. COOL! Anyone know where I can get one of those?

Please be patient with the mechanically-challenged newbie.

Fake a lake used to advertise in the back of Waterski mag I ordered mine many moons ago direct from them. I don't subscribe to the spineless magazine anymore though to know if they still advertise.

KTM -

I have a fake-a-lake sitting in the garage and have no need for it any longer. It has been used about a dozen times. If you are interested in purchasing it, just PM with a price and we'll hammer out a deal.

Rob

This seems like a topic that has probably been asked to death, but I did a search and couldn't find anything. Forgive me if I'm repeating a common question.

I just got a lesson from my dealer on how to change the oil in my HH383 engine, and I now am determined to do all my own oil changes in the future. I could have purchased an oil pump and fake-a-lake from my dealer, but I was convinced that there must be a group buy for these items on the BuCrew. I don't find any such deal, so I guess I'll ask the question:

What brand of oil removal pump should I buy, and where should I buy it? (his was 12v operated, and he hooked it to the starter cable for power)

What brand of "fake-a-lake" should I buy, and where should I buy it?

My dealer also had a really cool oil can that he put the fresh oil into the engine with. It had a flexible line from the bottom of the can, and a valve on that line, so he could put the line into the oil filler opening and then open the valve to fill it with oil. COOL! Anyone know where I can get one of those?

Please be patient with the mechanically-challenged newbie.

Forget the "fake-a-lake" Tried it once Frustrated.gif Get all wet and crawl around on the ground No.gif Not for me!

Get yourself one of these:

http://www.shopping.com/xGS-Perko%20Flush%...=XPO1&BSC=1

Forget the "fake-a-lake" Tried it once :Frustrated: Get all wet and crawl around on the ground :no: Not for me!

Get yourself one of these:

<a href="http://www.shopping.com/xGS-Perko%20Flush%...=XPO1&BSC=1" target="_blank">http://www.shopping.com/xGS-Perko%20Flush%...=XPO1&BSC=1</a>

AGREE! And, they'll fall over while you're up in the boat working and you may not know it till the engine is overheating.

But buy it from Discount Inboard Marine:

http://skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1046

good prices and EXCELLENT customer service.

Okay, a couple of questions:

Does the impellor get enough water with the in-line valve that I won't be in danger of damaging it?

Am I correct in thinking that the 1" is the correct size?

Does it come with really good instructions? I am not mechanically savvy. I'm not sure where I would need to install it.

I appreciate the help. I am borderline handicapped when it comes to mechanical things.

K

Our intake lines are 1.25" and I think that is outer diameter (OD). The guys at skidim can tell you for sure. All you do is cut a section out of your raw water intake line, slide the fitting in place, and double clamp both sides. I've cut the line using a hacksaw previously, works pretty well--it is reinforced with a spiral wire.

If you fly me out there and let me drive your boat, I'll install it for you. :)

So how does a fake a lake randomly fall over when you're running the boat?

Honestly I have run literally hundreds of boats with a fake a lake and NEVER has one fallen over in the middle of running a boat.

The flush pro's are nice only if you run a quick connect at the transom of the boat, otherwise you have to run a hose through your nice boat!

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

When i looked at fake-a-lakes at west marine they were $50 if memory serves me (usually doesn't), about 3 yrs ago.

An alternative it to just make one, I know you said you aren't "mechanically inclined" but it's super easy.

1 Toilet Plunger

1 brass fitting from home depot (1 end accepts a garden hose, other end is like a tapered cone-looks like a christmas tree (only brass color, not green)

Drill a hole in the side of the plunger wall and insert the brass fitting. Add a little silicon and your good to go.

Also, I'll but a couple 2X4's under the boat to raise the fakealake so that is tight against the hull (compressing the plunger slightly), this way it won't fall out while your running it....