Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower support stiffners inside boat

Guest johnhanley

Guest johnhanley

I just bought a 94 Euro F3 with Tower and noticed where rear tower legs attached to the boat there were just holes drilled and bolts used without any backing plate on the inside. Soooo, Just finished installing a 3" W x 12" L 3/8" T aluminum backing plate on each side. This should help with any stress to the fiberglass hull right? I would have went wider but there was curvature and I wanted the plate to be flat against the fiberglass. Is it normal for towers to be installed with no backing plate?

Air Force 1

Welcome to the Crew Welcome.gif

I see that you're from San Antonio. I'm also from San Antonio and I have a 1991 Euro F3 Skier. Which lake do you normally go to? We normally go to either Medina or Dunlap.

Adding the backing plate was a good idea. I just have a extended pylon for my boat, so not much experience with towers, but from reading on here about others installing towers, they always talk about making sure to use the backing plates to spread out the forces on the fiberglass.

Jamie

Welcome to the Crew Welcome.gif

I see that you're from San Antonio. I'm also from San Antonio and I have a 1991 Euro F3 Skier. Which lake do you normally go to? We normally go to either Medina or Dunlap.

Adding the backing plate was a good idea. I just have a extended pylon for my boat, so not much experience with towers, but from reading on here about others installing towers, they always talk about making sure to use the backing plates to spread out the forces on the fiberglass.

Jamie

Yes, we live at 1604 and Bandera Rd in Stonefield Estates. House is on the market and we are looking at sealing a deal on 1.2 acres 1 mile from Medina. We just bought the boat a couple of months ago and we are ready to go. Been to Medina only so far. My wife pulled me on the wakeboard last weekend but it was choppy and not much fun. Weather is looking good for tomorrow, we are getting the boat out of storage tonight and getting ready to go out to Medina in the morning.

AF1

the backing plate is definately a good idea. when i have done that before i actually also put some good stiff rubber between the plate and the fiberglass. if u have trouble finding some,,,i have even bought some of the rubber mudflaps and cut the sizes i need out of those.

• 2 weeks later...
I just bought a 94 Euro F3 with Tower and noticed where rear tower legs attached to the boat there were just holes drilled and bolts used without any backing plate on the inside. Soooo, Just finished installing a 3" W x 12" L 3/8" T aluminum backing plate on each side. This should help with any stress to the fiberglass hull right? I would have went wider but there was curvature and I wanted the plate to be flat against the fiberglass. Is it normal for towers to be installed with no backing plate?

Air Force 1

Hey AF1...ditto, backing plates will only help...out of all the towers I've looked at when I was shopping, all came with some type of backing. I think you did the right thing!

srintx