Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Questions about wiring the "Add a Battery" system

LS1boarder

Hey guys, I'm going to be wiring my battery system today, and it seems more complicated than I thought. Here are a few questions...

First, here is a link to the .pdf wiring diagram

It looks like the power wire from the engine runs directly to one of the batteries. Then there are two additional wires from that battery, one to the ACR and one to the switch. Also, they call for in-line fuses on the power wires that run to the ACR. The other battery has two wires, one to the other side of the switch and one to the other side of the ACR.

Then there are two other posts on the switch, one for the starter, and on for the fuse panel. The fuse panel I get, but do our boats have a separate power wire for the starter? I'm not sure how to wire this portion. Do I just leave this terminal empty, since I believe that the starting runs through the fuse box?

Also, I don't understand what the LED and SI terminals are on the ACR. What do they do?

Thanks a ton for your help!!

EDIT: One more thing, do I really need an in-line fuse in all of the locations that it calls for one?

Edited by LS1boarder

Are you saying that the power wire runs from the alternator to one of the batteries on your boat now or on the diagram?

Are you saying that the power wire runs from the alternator to one of the batteries on your boat now or on the diagram?

That's how it is now, and how it is on the diagram.

That's not how it is on the diagram. On the diagram it has the alternator wire coming into the provided "Common" post on the switch. Then from there one side goes out to one battery positive, and the other side goes out to the other battery positive. Then the ACR goes in between the two battery positives from 2 new cables you have to provide. Look at it again. You don't have to hook up anything else on the ACR besides the ground. You could do the fuses if you wanted, I didn't on mine and everythign is working fine.

That's not how it is on the diagram. On the diagram it has the alternator wire coming into the provided "Common" post on the switch. Then from there one side goes out to one battery positive, and the other side goes out to the other battery positive. Then the ACR goes in between the two battery positives from 2 new cables you have to provide. Look at it again. You don't have to hook up anything else on the ACR besides the ground. You could do the fuses if you wanted, I didn't on mine and everythign is working fine.

Ok, so in the diagram there are two wires coming off their image of the engine. One is from the alternator and the other is from the starter I believe. I must be missing something, but it still looks to me like the alternator wire goes right to the positive on the first battery. Maybe I should just have the dealer do this, I obviously don't know much about it.

Ok, so in the diagram there are two wires coming off their image of the engine. One is from the alternator and the other is from the starter I believe. I must be missing something, but it still looks to me like the alternator wire goes right to the positive on the first battery. Maybe I should just have the dealer do this, I obviously don't know much about it.

I see what you're saying. I didn't hook mine up like that, but if you don't feel comfortable I'd have the dealer do it for you. I'm using a perko and not their switch so I run both to the common in the Perko.