Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sangar, boat or submarine?

brazosvet

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brazosvet

• areamike

• txwakejunkie

• GeorgeWBush

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He can't go down again with 3 barrels on 'im. Not with 3 barrels he can't.

(Said in my best Quint voice)

:lol: Yeah but this ain't a Shark. Although with the same underwater characteristics, it's close.

How to sink a boat. add balast and 15 people, exceeding the limit. Hope the insurance company does not find out.

"You say a tree fell on your house? Was it a Ficus? Sorry then your not covered"

overload the boat with water and people is a recipe for swamping and filling the boat to the top but not to sink it. The ballast bags only increases the weight in the boat by the weight of the empty sac (whether the water is in the sac or on the seats, doesn't make a difference). The people did not go down with the boat so that weight would not have caused the sinking. Maybe the guy had lead ballast as well.

Out of curiosity anyone have any Bu sinking/swamping horror stories that couldn’t be handled by the bilge pumps?

I remember seeing a swamped Malibu that was under water in a liquid force video a year ago.

That video on BFC is crazy. Why would anyone do that to a boat. You will see and Ad great boat for sale excellenct shape, always on lift etc. what a joke

What video is he talking about? That main page needs some serious help....

That video on BFC is crazy. Why would anyone do that to a boat. You will see and Ad great boat for sale excellenct shape, always on lift etc. what a joke

What video is he talking about? That main page needs some serious help....

<a href="http://www.barefootcentral.com/ShowSkiChallenge.htm" target="_blank">http://www.barefootcentral.com/ShowSkiChallenge.htm</a>

scroll down to " The Submarine "

Its ok, it was just a mastercraft. ;)

Edited by txwakejunkie
He can't go down again with 3 barrels on 'im. Not with 3 barrels he can't.

(Said in my best Quint voice)

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

- Chief Brody

The really important issue this brings-up is mfg. testing. Sangar is a well respected company, as is Malibu, CC, and others. With all the advances in wake-making technology, can we as buyers be sure the boat we buy is not going to do this. I feel like, in this case, that Sangar was too quick to give their client the boat he wanted, and not a boat that was safe. Does every model get tested for boyancy? I mean real world testing, not just computer simulation. I'll be asking from now on.

that is an old video of that MC being swamped. I don't remember the exact story, but the owner of the MC was NOT trying to do that. It happened during a show, and to avoid the embarrassment, he and the passenger at the end did the old "I meant to do that ..." motion.

Edited by jgouveia3
The really important issue this brings-up is mfg. testing. Sangar is a well respected company, as is Malibu, CC, and others. With all the advances in wake-making technology, can we as buyers be sure the boat we buy is not going to do this. I feel like, in this case, that Sangar was too quick to give their client the boat he wanted, and not a boat that was safe. Does every model get tested for boyancy? I mean real world testing, not just computer simulation. I'll be asking from now on.

I'm sure Sanger tested the boat which is why it is rated for 9 persons. NOT 14-15 that were in it at the time.

I'm sure Sanger tested the boat which is why it is rated for 9 persons. NOT 14-15 that were in it at the time.

With the amount of people and ballast, I understand how it filled with water. What i dont understand is, why it went to the bottom?

With the amount of people and ballast, I understand how it filled with water. What i dont understand is, why it went to the bottom?

It will be interesting to hear the answer to this question!

Is there a strong current on the Brazos?

That video on BFC is crazy. Why would anyone do that to a boat.

I looked for the video. Does any have a direct link?

I agree. The Mastercraft in the video didn't go to the bottom nor did the two Malibus in the other pictures.

Is there a strong current on the Brazos?

It isnt to bad right now because the dams are closed. I'm not sure when this happened, or where on the brazos he was. They had been letting some water out for the last week or two and it did have some movement. We were on the river last saturday and could not feel the current moving us due to the wind blowing.

We'll probably never hear the true story, but my quess is that if they really had 14 people they may have also had extra weight that we all don't know about somehow and even if the boat was equipped with the proper floatation material in the hull it doesn't mean it "should" float. If he had solid weight or lead bags it's easy to take out once the boat is on the trailer, don't know Whistling.gif

What exactly was the MC driver trying to do?

Unless there were a lot of lead weights in the Sanger it shouldn't have sunk to the bottom even with 15 people in a 9 person capacity boat. Being overloaded with ballast (water ballast - not lead) and people could cause taking on water but not sinking the boat. After the people are out the boat should float back up to the top. It will be interesting to see if there was a design issue with the Sanger or if lead weights were involved.

I never knew air chambers were allowed, I always thought foam was required for bouyancy.

Tell your friends to steer clear of any D215's with low hrs!

What exactly was the MC driver trying to do?

Unless there were a lot of lead weights in the Sanger it shouldn't have sunk to the bottom even with 15 people in a 9 person capacity boat. Being overloaded with ballast (water ballast - not lead) and people could cause taking on water but not sinking the boat. After the people are out the boat should float back up to the top. It will be interesting to see if there was a design issue with the Sanger or if lead weights were involved.

I never knew air chambers were allowed, I always thought foam was required for bouyancy.

Tell your friends to steer clear of any D215's with low hrs!

There is not only a person limit, there is also a weight limit. You exceed that weight limit and your out of the manufactures capabilities of how the boat was built, that was my point!

Edit: I quess the only good thing that came out of this was that no one was hurt....

Edited by 68Slalom