Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sangar, boat or submarine?

brazosvet

Friends just recieved a new Sangar they ordered, and waited for months to get. First day out, maiden voyage, the driver turned into a roller, took a little water over the bow and she went straight to the bottom. They are looking at a Malibu now.

Oh yes, Sangar offered to re-do their boat (ie. new engine, interior, ect.). No thanks.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brazosvet

• areamike

• txwakejunkie

• RTS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are your saying the boat completely sunk, as opposed to just being swamped? Wow, I thought all these boats should have floatation foam to keep them at least at the surface. The boat wasn't heavily ballasted with lead or something was it?

A "little" water over the bow sunk it??? Just out of curiosity, was this driver error or is there something wrong with the design of the boat?

Yep, the boat went all the way to the bottom. Must have been a design error, because even if it was swamped, it should have floated. Luckily, no one was injured.

No hard ballast added.

Edited by brazosvet

This is one of those have to see it to believe things. How the heck could it literally sink short of some major manufacturing flaw. I watched that entire Sanger factory tour video on BFC and while it contained the usual marketing fluff that any manufacturing tour would you can't say they build a crap boat by any means. And look at that MC video of the driver who almost certainly dumped the boat into reverse accidentally and loaded it up with one hell of a lot of water - it popped right back up. I'd expect that from just about any boat.

I thought boats in this size range were required by the Coast Guard to only sink to the gunnels even if there was a large hole in the boat? Is Sangar a Coast Guard certified boat? How did they get it off the bottom? (Edit: I just saw the recovery photos) I'm glad your friends were not hurt...

Sangar's offer to refurbish the boat is nice, but this will damage their reputation in a major way.

Edited by rts

To recover the boat, divers took those blue barrels you see in the pics down full of water. They were tied on to the boat, then filled with air from an onboard compressor. I believe they had about 12 barrels tied on, and the Sangar was still under water. It was neutrally boyant at that stage and could be towed to the ramp.

Looking around on the net, it looks like our boats require 'basic flotation,' meaning some part of the boat (usually the bow) must stay above the water for 18 hours in calm water in the event of swamping, with the boat loaded to certain criteria. Other types of boat may require level flotation.

Here's a page that gives the calculations of how much flotation is required to acheive 'basic flotation'. Any Sanger reps looking around here may want to forward this to your engineering department.

How to Float a Boat

If they've been cheating on the flotation, I wonder what insurance companies, and the Coast Guard for that matter, would have to say about this.

Edited by rts

There must be more to it than taking a roller. For the non-Texas people, the Brazos river in the area where that was done is nothing more than an oversize sewage ditch. It's about 125' wide at the most, susceptible to LOTS of debris after a rainstorm, and averages about 10-15' deep w/ large rocks and trees near the edges. Granted, there are some people that load up the ballast out there, so rollers are Texas-sized, but something else had to contribute to this other than A roller.

Here's the thread on the local scene tho not much more info on what happened...

http://www.dallaswakeboarding.com/index.ph...94&catid=13

WOW, We are on the brazos all the time and have hit some rollers, but never sank the boat. Somethings fishy, there has got be something more to the story.

WOW! There must be something more to the story. Is the boat for sale? I would totally take this on as a project boat.

According to Chuck of barefootcentral. Apparently he is friends with the "former" owners.

I just put a new showski video on the home page of BFC. You should enjoy it. I got a call from some friends in Dallas that just last weekend took delivery of their new Sanger D215 with 8.1 420hp engine. Basically, image a wakeboard boat that could do 52mph. They were out on the Brazos River all weekend with fat sacs full and about 15 people in the boat (3 or 4 in the front). They went to take off one time and the skier let go. So the driver make a bat turn and heads back to the skier headed right into his own stern roller. The boat hit is in the same way the boat in the video did. The difference being, the extra weight drove it that much more under water. Within about 15 seconds, the boat was on the bottome of the river. How's that for your first day on the water in a brand new $50,000 boat? Just watch the video and you'll get the picture.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/ba...mp;postcount=33

How to sink a boat. add balast and 15 people, exceeding the limit. Hope the insurance company does not find out.

"You say a tree fell on your house? Was it a Ficus? Sorry then your not covered"

That video on BFC is crazy. Why would anyone do that to a boat. You will see and Ad great boat for sale excellenct shape, always on lift etc. what a joke

I thought boats in this size range were required by the Coast Guard to only sink to the gunnels even if there was a large hole in the boat? Is Sangar a Coast Guard certified boat? How did they get it off the bottom? (Edit: I just saw the recovery photos) I'm glad your friends were not hurt...

Sangar's offer to refurbish the boat is nice, but this will damage their reputation in a major way.

You can bet the insurance company is going to go back to Sanger and try and find out what happened and if Sanger does offer to fix it, I'm sure that's the route they will take.

What Sanger model was it?

I guess that would be a D215. Thanks for the pics.

Does the "D" stand for deep ?