Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hot off the CNC

Hot off the CNC -

This is mill finish 6061-T6 Aluminum - step pads -

I got tired of the rude people that step on the gunnels instead of on the step pad so I made them longer to fit between the grab handle locations -

What are the opinions? certainly better than the old black plastic ones I have.

Finish? - Brushed - Anodized - Polished - Bead blasted - Powder coated -

post-4425-1210217716_thumb.jpg

Comments please......

Steve

Edited by SFD
Hot off the CNC -

I got tired of the rude people that step on the gunnels instead of on the step pad so I made them longer to fit between the grab handle locations -

Comments please......

Steve

Another pic:post-4425-1210217916_thumb.jpg

Hot off the CNC -

Comments please......

Steve

geez man tough crowd - 41 hits & no comments? that bad eh?

Hot off the CNC -

Comments please......

Steve

Looks Good Steve!

The main problem I've had on my boat is when people step on the gunnels they never step on the rubber grip stuff I've already got. Not sure they would get the message unless it said STEP HERE DUMB A$$ in recessed LEDs.

I really like the concept, but might suggest a thiner profile, and maybe shorten it up.

Nice ! I'm probably my own worse enemy when it comes to stepping there, considering the gunnel height is equal to that of my houseboat decks. Price ? or should I ask...

They are very cool looking. My only question is how hot do they get in the sun? I have a feeling no one in the summer time will be able to put their feet on them.

Nice ! I'm probably my own worse enemy when it comes to stepping there, considering the gunnel height is equal to that of my houseboat decks. Price ? or should I ask...

I'm ready to go production next week - need to fine tune the CNC but finishing is the next step -

Cost - very economical in these tough times- send me your email & I'll send better pics - Right now you're looking at unfinished aluminum but that leaves the options wide open.

They are very cool looking. My only question is how hot do they get in the sun? I have a feeling no one in the summer time will be able to put their feet on them.

That was one of the first thoughts, if it goes south I can use them as trailer emblems - Summers almost in full bloom here so I can set them outside and do a UL test on the driveway. ( backyard engineering )

Hot off the CNC -

Comments please......

Steve

how much to make another set?

can you produce them in a slim profle?

Edited by my malibu

sfd,

great idea! it seems whenever people are done sking/boarding or just enjoying a cold one they have a tendacy to sit in this area (at least in my boat anyway).

i think the 'malibu' font certainly needs to match the font type on your boat....or at least be very close. it seems like malibu has used several types (3-4) over the years. not sure how many choices of font you have on cnc machine?

we have been using this company for decorative architectural features on our projects lately:

http://www.mcnichols.com/photos/products.html

they have some kewl stuff....looks good Thumbup.gif

maybe less is more.....smaller logo on lower corner with less linework for traction grid...thinner profile perhaps :unsure:

post-3641-1210225246_thumb.jpg

post-3641-1210225246_thumb.jpg

bit phatter grid lines with a smaller checker pattern....maybe logo could be slightly raised and down in corner, again.... Dontknow.gif

post-3641-1210225351_thumb.jpg

post-3641-1210225351_thumb.jpg

straight from the malibu marketing p***! thin grid lines, polished finished, ovalized central logo with modern malibu font Yahoo.gif

post-3641-1210225497_thumb.jpg

post-3641-1210225497_thumb.jpg

straight from the malibu marketing p***! thin grid lines, polished finished, ovalized central logo with modern malibu font Yahoo.gif

I really like the idea. The big question is cost... I think I would go with polished to match other stuff on my boat. Once you get the final version done, you need to post some additional pictures. My assumption is that they mount in the stock screw holes? Thumbup.gif

I really like the idea. The big question is cost... I think I would go with polished to match other stuff on my boat. Once you get the final version done, you need to post some additional pictures. My assumption is that they mount in the stock screw holes? Thumbup.gif

Was thinkiing screw holes countersunk or 3M highbond tape & silicone

Hot off the CNC -

Comments please......

Steve

Slim as in depth or thickness? The parts, like the black plastic ones, are 1/4" tall 1 1/2" wide & 22" long.

post-4425-1210217916_thumb.jpg

I'm ready to go production next week - need to fine tune the CNC but finishing is the next step -

Cost - very economical in these tough times- send me your email & I'll send better pics - Right now you're looking at unfinished aluminum but that leaves the options wide open.

Spoken like a true salesman. Thumbup.gif

Hot off the CNC -

Comments please......

Steve

Slim as in depth or thickness? The parts, like the black plastic ones, are 1/4" tall 1 1/2" wide & 22" long.

So they'll go back to the drawing board - shorter ( 12" long ?? ) x 1 3/4" wide x 1/4" to 3/16" tall x sharper grooving & change the fonts) - patterns are going to be modified per comments made - THANK YOU.

( Still thinking highbond 3M tape & silicone - no screw holes required )

I'll get back after further mock-ups are done.

We can talk about more parts at very affordable pocket change - my largest cost impact after production would be finishing

• 2 months later...
Nice looking pads, keep us all up to date what you find out about them heating up in the sun.

I can see it now, a Malibu brand on the bottom of your girl freind :lol:

These look sharp though, no doubt about it.