Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater Install 2007 VLX..

pennery

Wel I just got my heater from Heater Craft and they as always were great to deal with.. I am toying with the idea of installing it myself.. I am wondering who has done this and although I have heard it is a PITA to get the hoses ran up to the drivers kick panel I would like all the advice I can for making this task easier.. Also what is the route that the hoses take? I purchased a 3 vent heater because we used the heater in the last boat all the time so I figured it would be better and the cost really was not that much more..

I also have the factory Rockford sub mounted in the kick panel as well and would like to make sure the 3 vent will fit with that in place..

I can't believe that boat didn't have a heater on it? Who screwed that up! Dontknow.gif

It's not difficult to install a heater as much as it's time consuming, especially on a v-drive. If you've got spare time and like projects, go for it. If your time is worth money, pay the dealer to do it.

The hoses run from the engine compartment through the stringer and up to the driver's foot well area. The easiest way to get them to follow the prescribed path is to run a tape from the driver's footwell area back to the engine, and then use that to pull a small rope through, that you can attach both of the hoses to. If you lean over the kickboard with the factory sub you'll see the passageway in the back corner closest to the walk-through where the hoses will exit from. Likewise, if you spend some time looking in the bilge of the engine compartment you'll see the entry to the stringer on the starboard side of the boat.

I've never done it from scratch but the heater needed to be relocated from the stock location for the sub to fit,theres plenty of room on my little 04 VLX for a sealed box and 12" sub

And like skicrave said use an "electricians" type fish tape(Home Depot has'em) to pull the hoses or try to get a tape measure to pull a small rope through then pull the hoses.

I can't believe that boat didn't have a heater on it? Who screwed that up! Dontknow.gif

It's not difficult to install a heater as much as it's time consuming, especially on a v-drive. If you've got spare time and like projects, go for it. If your time is worth money, pay the dealer to do it.

The hoses run from the engine compartment through the stringer and up to the driver's foot well area. The easiest way to get them to follow the prescribed path is to run a tape from the driver's footwell area back to the engine, and then use that to pull a small rope through, that you can attach both of the hoses to. If you lean over the kickboard with the factory sub you'll see the passageway in the back corner closest to the walk-through where the hoses will exit from. Likewise, if you spend some time looking in the bilge of the engine compartment you'll see the entry to the stringer on the starboard side of the boat.

I am not sure but I don't like to place blame... Whistling.gif We won't mention any name's

So the hole is already behind the Sub? it must be easier to run the tape form the footwell to the rear and that would show me where to run the hose from the engine compartment I assume..

Thanks for the help..

I'm in the process of installing a 3 vent in my boat. The easiest part was running the hoses. Like they said, run the tape from the driver's footwell back to the engine. You'll see where if exits right beside the transmission. Make sure you don't run the hoses under the transmission like I did. The shaft was rubbing on mine. Opps, I'm not used to these darn v-drives :) BTW , you may want to get the Y adaptor ($40) from Heatercraft if you would like to have heat at idle.

My next big step is drilling out the fiberglass in the bow walkway for the hottube.

Jim

I'm in the process of installing a 3 vent in my boat. The easiest part was running the hoses. Like they said, run the tape from the driver's footwell back to the engine. You'll see where if exits right beside the transmission. Make sure you don't run the hoses under the transmission like I did. The shaft was rubbing on mine. Opps, I'm not used to these darn v-drives :) BTW , you may want to get the Y adaptor ($40) from Heatercraft if you would like to have heat at idle.

My next big step is drilling out the fiberglass in the bow walkway for the hottube.

Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim, did you run one hose at a time or is the space large enough to get both hoses through..

Are you doing 2 hot tubes or just one.. I was thinking I would like one hot tube in the bow walkway for the passenger and one in the driver kick panel for the person sitting behind the driver.. How do they come from the factory?

I ran both hoses at the same time. I taped the ends together. Yes, I do have two hot tubes. The other will be mounted on the driver's kick panel. I'm not sure how they come from the factory.

• 2 weeks later...

I did it on my 2004 sunsetter xti direct drive. It took only a couple hours, I didn't have to run the hoses all the way to the back, but the hoses were stiff enough that they just pushed right through. I did it one at a time. I was going to do it someplace besides the driver kick plate but changed my mind. The engine also is setup to have a heater even if it doesn't come with one.

It works great, just don't forget to blow the water out of the line when you winterize it, if you have to winterize it.

My heater came set up with 1 hot tube in the walkthru and 2 fixed outlets in the driver's kick panel. Is it possible to convert 1 of the fixed outlets to a hot tube? Has anyone done this?

• 1 year later...
My heater came set up with 1 hot tube in the walkthru and 2 fixed outlets in the driver's kick panel. Is it possible to convert 1 of the fixed outlets to a hot tube? Has anyone done this?

3 outlet setup How much in parts and where did you buy it from? Thanks

I think if I were installing another heater, I'd use all Hot tubes. No point (other than lack of space) to have basic vents. Hot tubes will work in that situation & so much more.

Heatercraft will make them in custom lengths for you too. I had one in my 205 that was 6' long. Was great for those stuck in the back seat.

Also check out the Hot Wraps blankets. I think Bakes still has them. Best heater accessory ever.

Yep, made an extended one about 6' long. It's nice for people in the back. If you do a search the "prototype" may come up? I installed my own heater & it was pretty easy. Ran the hoses through the gunnels, though............

• 3 weeks later...
I did it on my 2004 sunsetter xti direct drive. It took only a couple hours, I didn't have to run the hoses all the way to the back, but the hoses were stiff enough that they just pushed right through. I did it one at a time. I was going to do it someplace besides the driver kick plate but changed my mind. The engine also is setup to have a heater even if it doesn't come with one.

It works great, just don't forget to blow the water out of the line when you winterize it, if you have to winterize it.

I have a sunsetter lx 2001, you stated that the engine is set up for the heater even if it does not have one, where did you locate the plumming for the heater.

• 5 years later...