Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Capacity Rating Exceeded??

Squag Mon

Just wondering if anyone has had issues or have received tickets for exceeding boat capacity. Specifically related to ballast. Many, many topics related to ballast, how much, and where to place in boat but I haven't read much discussion about exceeding boat capacity when it can be done easily Whistling.gif with two or three sacs.

Edited by Squag Mon

Some days I think my coolers coolers and peeps would exceed the capacity w/o any ballast Crazy.gifBeer.gif Never got a ticket though, or even been checked for that matter Dontknow.gif

Technically everything on board counts toward the capacity plate, that includes water that is added to any ballast tanks, even if it is factory installed ballast. Even the weight of the gas in the tank counts. That is the way it is in Oregon anyway, but I'm pretty sure that nation wide since it is a coast guard thing. That being said, I am a marine deputy and I have only written tickets for overloading when an old tourny ski boat was actually taking on water because it had so much weight in it. The bilge pump was barely keeping up, but they were still getting after it. I have also written up boats with too many people on board, but I give them a pass for the overloading and just stick them for not having enough life jackets. In another thread called "Oregon boaters" I did a little rant about how ridiculous the overloading laws are written. A lot of gray areas for sure.