Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skiing behind a bu

Awest

I was wondering what it is like to ski behind a 1998 Sunsetter vlx at 32? I was just offered a sweet deal on one. My kids wakeboard and my wife and I like to ski. Would also consider surfing behind it with the wedge and ballast if possible. I know it won't be a tournament wake but life is full of compromises. Just need something decent that won't kick my old but.

Cheers

AW

It will be better than any I/O, but worse than one of the Diamond Hull or tournament ski boats. If that's a minor or major difference will be the opinion of the skier.

BTW - Welcome to the 'Crew!

We had a 2000 VLX and it was pretty rough for skiing. However, weinrdog is right, it will definitely be better that an I/O.

We are coming from an 18ft I/O and it frankly was not that bad to ski behind. Hopefully this will be better. I once saw a guy skiing behind a 26 ft Cobalt so I know anything is possible, just not necessarily desirable.

We are coming from an 18ft I/O and it frankly was not that bad to ski behind. Hopefully this will be better. I once saw a guy skiing behind a 26 ft Cobalt so I know anything is possible, just not necessarily desirable.

It depends on what you mean by "not that bad" I also owned an I/O 19' Bahner and it was a great ski boat when you only had 2 people riding in the boat. Once you added a little weight the wake in the back would widen out so much and interupt when crossing twice instead of fighting the wake in the middle only. Plus it didn't have much divided storage and only fit 6 people, don't get me wrong I loved the boat. It would 60+ mph and handled fairly well for a semi-flat bottom, but any "true" ski boat is not going to be an I/O Whistling.gif

Why a 2001? Was there a significant change in the hull design?

I am not that serious about skiing that I would want to buy a direct drive flat hull boat. This needs to be a family boat that meets everyones needs from surfing to skiing if possible. Am I going to get airborne every time I cross the wake on a slalom ski at 32 with three people in the boat? Not doing that would be great.

Thanks for the responses. This site is great.

AW

I am not that serious about skiing that I would want to buy a direct drive flat hull boat. This needs to be a family boat that meets everyones needs from surfing to skiing if possible. Am I going to get airborne every time I cross the wake on a slalom ski at 32 with three people in the boat? Not doing that would be great.

AW

The 2001 Sunsetter VLX was on the diamond hull and gives a very nice ski wake for a v-drive.

AW

Buy MDude's SLXI if you are looking for a great crossover boat w/ an emphasis on slalom.

AW

Buy MDude's SLXI if you are looking for a great crossover boat w/ an emphasis on slalom.

Plus1.gif If your serious!