Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 383 HH Flooding

I have an 05 383 HH in my RLXI. About 5% of the time after turning off the boat it is a bit difficult to start. It appears to be flooding. If you just hold the key on for about 4 seconds or so it will start or it will start quicker if you rev it. The dealer basically told me that these are very aggressive motors and that I just have to deal with it being a bit temperamental. I am not sure I agree with that. I think the dealer just didn’t want to deal with it. Anyone have similar issues with their 383’s?

If it starts right up when cold, then your ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor is bad, hard starting is a common result once the engine is warm. The sensor is telling the computer the engine is cold, so it responds with a rich mixture from the fuel injectors making for hard starting. Putting your throttle at 100% (in neutral, of course) while cranking the engine tells the computer to go into "clear flood mode", but you have to pull it back real fast after it starts.

Edited by electricjohn
MalibuNation
If it starts right up when cold, then your ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor is bad, hard starting is a common result once the engine is warm. The sensor is telling the computer the engine is cold, so it responds with a rich mixture from the fuel injectors making for hard starting. Putting your throttle at 100% (in neutral, of course) while cranking the engine tells the computer to go into "clear flood mode", but you have to pull it back real fast after it starts.

John, I might not be awake quite yet but how do you "Putting your throttle at 100% (in neutral, of course)"?

Grabbing the throttle and holding the "thingy do" up that allows you to shift from neutral to foward or reverse? Gawd, it's been too long since I've been in my boat ... though I fired it up Sunday ... in the driveway!

Edited by jchooper

John, I might not be awake quite yet but how do you "Putting your throttle at 100% (in neutral, of course)"?

Grabbing the throttle and holding the "thingy do" up that allows you to shift from neutral to foward or reverse? Gawd, it's been too long since I've been in my boat ... though I fired it up Sunday ... in the driveway!

Wouldn't a stuck open thermostat do the same ?

Not really, because the ECT sensor would tell the ECM that the engine was not at operating temp due to the open T-stat. Where a bad ECT would tell the ECM that a warmed up engine was still cold.

I am guessing the strategy for a boat is the same as a car. If the throttle is at (WOT) wide open throttle and the motor is not running it tells the fuel to shut off and only allow air to clear a folded condition.

Edited by Sixball
MalibuNation
There is a knob you push or pull near the throttle that disengages the shift mechanism.

E J, learn something everyday, thanks.