Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who manufactures these guages??

spinxt

Anyone know who makes the gauges in the picture below? The previous owner must have used windex or something similar to clean, as there are hairline cracks forming on the plastic lenses. I hate to have to replace the whole gauge due to an aesthetic issue. I'm hoping to just call the manufacturer and get replacement lenses.

Thanks,

Chris

dash.JPG

Anyone know who makes the gauges in the picture below? The previous owner must have used windex or something similar to clean, as there are hairline cracks forming on the plastic lenses. I hate to have to replace the whole gauge due to an aesthetic issue. I'm hoping to just call the manufacturer and get replacement lenses.

Thanks,

Chris

dash.JPG

I have the same guages on my '98. I windex bad for them or something? Does the chemical dry-out or weaken the lenses? I hadn't heard of that before (thank goodness I have never used windex).

I replaced the gauges in my 02 response last season and the lense is not separate from the gauge. You'd destroy the gauge even trying to get the lense off.

I believe the gauges are made by Borg Warner, but I couldn't find them available anywhere except through the Malibu dealer.

Good Luck!

The 07 came from Medallion Instrument. Do a search on it. Out of Spring Lake Michigan. It is owned by BorgWarner. This is what I was told from a very good source.

Can you poke a mirror up thru the dash and see if you can read the back of them.

Huh?

The manufactorers name should be on the back of the gauges. Under the dash, by were your knees would be if you were sitting in the drivers seat, is a 2" hole to get wires and power to the gauges. There is room in that hole to fit an inspection mirror which you could use to read the back of the gauges. That is how I found my broken horn. The whole dashboard comes off in one piece too, if you want to go that route.

Edited by electricjohn

Ah, well it's no secret that the gauges are made by Borg Warner. But they're OEM private label, so you'll only be able to get them through a Malibu dealer.

The gauges are sealed using an ultrasonic welder to prevent the inside from fogging (which was a common problem on the first generation models), so the face cannot be replaced separately.

Oh, and it takes maybe 5 minutes to pull out the gage panel, just remove the allen head bolts around the perimeter and the whole panel will slide out.

Speaking from experience, I think replacing all three gauges runs about $400. Mine had water in them at one time which created a muddy water mark on the inside. Never mind the details of how that happened Whistling.gif

Some of the info above is correct, and some is a little outdated.

The gauges were manufactured by a company now called Medallion Instrumentation Systems in Spring Lake, MI. Medallion was owned by BorgWarner as part of their Air/Fluid Systems division until around 2002, then their Emissions/Thermal Systems until 2003 when it was sold to a group of private investors. Medallion still makes Malibu gauges.

The gauges you in the picture are indeed sonic welded. There is no way you can remove the lens without permanently damaging the gauge. Unless there is a problem functionally or you are really bothered by the look, I'd suggest leaving them alone.

well if you are married, convince your wife that you need to replace the gauges, and it would be cheaper to get Perfect Pass now, and that solves the problem for one of the gauges, then you only have to buy 2 new ones....

well if you are married, convince your wife that you need to replace the gauges, and it would be cheaper to get Perfect Pass now, and that solves the problem for one of the gauges, then you only have to buy 2 new ones....

I like your way of thinking...... Whistling.gif

Some of the info above is correct, and some is a little outdated.

The gauges were manufactured by a company now called Medallion Instrumentation Systems in Spring Lake, MI. Medallion was owned by BorgWarner as part of their Air/Fluid Systems division until around 2002, then their Emissions/Thermal Systems until 2003 when it was sold to a group of private investors. Medallion still makes Malibu gauges.

The gauges you in the picture are indeed sonic welded. There is no way you can remove the lens without permanently damaging the gauge. Unless there is a problem functionally or you are really bothered by the look, I'd suggest leaving them alone.

For a first time post, that was solid.

Thumbup.gif

Welcome.