Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a new board CWB pure or Hyperlight Imperial?

chadwick02

Im not a great wakeboarder, but I do enjoy messing around on one from time to time, and like to have one for company to borrow when they come up if they like. I’m just beginning to clear the wake comfortably and do some grabs and stuff. Nothing too fancy yet. I’ve been riding on a 10 year old Obrien board that is way to small for me, so I think its time for a new board!

I am 6’ 200 pounds, foot size 11 +/-. We’ve got that Obrien board which is strictly a beginner board, so I am looking for something that will allow me (and who ever else uses it) to progress from there.

I’ve been looking at either a:

- used 2004 CWB Pure 141 with bindings, real cheap

- NEW 2007 Hyperlight Imperial 140 http://www.wakeside.com/product/on_sale/wa...keboard+2007.do

Anyone got any experience with either of these boards? Any other recommendations? I don’t want to break the bank here since I’ll only jump on the board a few dozen times a year, if that, but at the same time I want something that will be good for a few years to come.

Thanks!

Chad

I ride the 05 CWB flame(not very diff from the pure) and i like it. It has been a great upgrade from the obrien shapiro i rode before it. A friend of mine, who will be riding with us this weekend, just bought an Imperial. I will ride it and give you some feed back on it.

As of now, my next board will be the ronix Ibex. I am going to try to demo one next weekend.

I have an 06 CWB Pure with the Torq bindings. It's a good board to go to from a beginner. I also came off of an O'Brien beginner board which was my first and went to the Pure. I use it without the fins and it's definitely a lot looser than the O'Brien beginner that I had but will teach you to be a better boarder. I'm looking to upgrade now to a pro level board but not sure if I'll do it this season or next.

Chad:

I might would recommend spending a little money on a lesson or two which usually means you can try out several boards and see what you like or what a pro might recommend. You can also be a beginner and ride a board listed as intermediate/advanced. I would stay away from anything listed as beginner. Plus if you are w2w and grabs, you are well past a beginner. I learned on a LF Substance many years ago, but that same board was listed intermediate/advanced and used by the pros at that time, but I was able to keep that board for years on through learning inverts. So get the best bang for your buck.

What is your budget? I'd look online for a "new" or good used board a year or two old, but get very good bindings. I've seen several major brands online for 100-130 bucks, new in plastic a year or two old. And people often overlook the importance of good bindings and I always say spend as much on bindings as the board.

I know I didn't answer your question, but I've seen several in years past ride the Pure and its a good solid board, but molded in fins are small. IMO, I'd look newer than 04 if your budget can accommodate. I have no experience about the Imperial and do not know anyone the rides it, sorry.

I think you'll find a noticeable difference no matter which way you go going from a 10 year old board to something 1-2 years old and stay with a major brand. I've also heard from a few on our boat that a continuous rocker is easier for the recreational person, but I never found that true for me personally. I went from a 3 stage as a beginner to continuous as I got better. But that was just me, hence why I say ride some boards before buying if possible (and take a lesson or two which will increase your fun potential), and why you notice I'm not mentioned the current board I ride.

Thanks Guys!!

txwakejunkie: please keep me updated on what you find!!

wakeup: thanks for all the great info. I will take it to heart. There are NO pro shops around here anywhere. Just not something anybody has. There might be a local bike shop that carries a few wet suits and MAYBE one board, but they wouldn’t be too keen on letting me demo it, and i'm sure its a beginner board at best. Besides that it’s pretty much Dicks sporting goods or the like... I DO have a few buddies and a bunch of girls on the lake that board, and some of them are very good. I've spent lots of time with them, talking, boarding...etc, and I have tried a few of their boards. The best conclusion I came too was that ANY board was a HUGE improvement over mine. I did not fall in love with any of their boards, probably because for one reason or another none of their boards were the correct set up for me (too small a board, set up funky, huge bindings...etc). I even rode a bright pink hyperlight syn, and honestly, I enjoyed ever moment I was on that board!! (but, it was too small for me). So my experience to demo boards is limited, and honestly, I think I’m lousy enough at the sport where any board will help me improve over what I’ve got now!

As for a budget, I don’t really have a set one. I suppose I'd like to be somewhere under 400 for both bindings and board, if possible. BUT, if I've got to spend an extra 50 or 100 bucks to get something that will be really beneficial to me in some way, then convince me and I'll do it. I like the idea of buying 2007 or 2006 leftover new equipment. It seems like there are some great deals to be found on that stuff

I realize bindings are a very important part of the set up also. I am keeping tabs on another thread asking about bindings. Since I share the board a fair amount with friends and family, I want a binding that is easy to get into (hinge??), and for me, I would like something that is tight and secure, but most importantly something that will release or be forgiving when I take a nasty digger (I have very bad knees). Its too bad they don’t make releasable wakeboard bindings like they do hard shells for skiis. It also has to be durable - I take good care of my stuff, but it gets well used, I dont want to have to worry about pulling a lace too tight and ripping a boot like I have read about some of them out there.

Anyone else got some good recommendations?? Im really looking at that hyperlight imperial. The price sure is right, and I could spend some money on some nice bindings to go with it. Are different brand boots and boards compatible?? Will a liquid force binding fit on a hyperlight board?

I have Ronix Cells on a CWB flame and before that it was hyperlite 3ds on an obrien. My wife has Ronix rise bindings on here LF Jett. I think any binding will fit any board.

I will let you know on the ride this weekend for sure.

Thanks Guys!!

As a general rule most bindings will fit most boards. Hinge is an easy on and off system, but these days most good bindings are not that hard to put on and off since many have the lace up system. I ride LF Transit bindings and love those and allows for lace up over the foot and sep lace up for the ankles. Just dunk your bindings in the water before putting those on the first time and that always works great for me.

Bad knees and wakeboarding are common, but IMO you can rip a knee quicker by one foot coming out than both feet staying in. So you do want bindings that support you correctly, feel solid and make you confident. You can always ride at slower speeds while learning tricks. Even though the board drags and you'll get tired quicker, we slow it way down for beginners even to 16-18 mph until they get the idea/confidence. We then speed it up so the wake is not so far apart.

Since you do not have access to a good teacher, you might want to checkout some vids on the subject. I still think the old Detention series by Shawn Murray is a classic. I see he has a newer version out too, and I think I've seen posts on this in the past so you might want to search.

enjoy.

I have a hyperlite 140 ERA with ERA bindings its in great shape, I would sell you for cheap. Great board I just can't get any of my buddies without boards to ride it because they all ride my Transcend Platinum or Absolute Platinum...

I saw a few guys ride a 2008 HL-Era demo today. They were pretty good riders and one was a friend of mine. The were doing scare-crows, rolls, roll to reverts, Raleys, etc...and all commented on how high the board rode in the water and it was visible from inside the boat how easy the transitions were. They comments that because it road high, it took a split second to really hook/bite on the turn, but they unanimously loved the board and I think BOTH are going to get one.

Not sure if that helps or not. Dontknow.gif

I have a hyperlite 140 ERA with ERA bindings its in great shape, I would sell you for cheap. Great board I just can't get any of my buddies without boards to ride it because they all ride my Transcend Platinum or Absolute Platinum...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks Guys!!

wakeup: thanks for all the great info. I will take it to heart. There are NO pro shops around here anywhere. Just not something anybody has. There might be a local bike shop that carries a few wet suits and MAYBE one board, but they wouldn’t be too keen on letting me demo it, and i'm sure its a beginner board at best. Besides that it’s pretty much Dicks sporting goods or the like... I DO have a few buddies and a bunch of girls on the lake that board, and some of them are very good. I've spent lots of time with them, talking, boarding...etc, and I have tried a few of their boards. The best conclusion I came too was that ANY board was a HUGE improvement over mine. I did not fall in love with any of their boards, probably because for one reason or another none of their boards were the correct set up for me (too small a board, set up funky, huge bindings...etc). I even rode a bright pink hyperlight syn, and honestly, I enjoyed ever moment I was on that board!! (but, it was too small for me). So my experience to demo boards is limited, and honestly, I think I’m lousy enough at the sport where any board will help me improve over what I’ve got now!

As for a budget, I don’t really have a set one. I suppose I'd like to be somewhere under 400 for both bindings and board, if possible. BUT, if I've got to spend an extra 50 or 100 bucks to get something that will be really beneficial to me in some way, then convince me and I'll do it. I like the idea of buying 2007 or 2006 leftover new equipment. It seems like there are some great deals to be found on that stuff

I realize bindings are a very important part of the set up also. I am keeping tabs on another thread asking about bindings. Since I share the board a fair amount with friends and family, I want a binding that is easy to get into (hinge??), and for me, I would like something that is tight and secure, but most importantly something that will release or be forgiving when I take a nasty digger (I have very bad knees). Its too bad they don’t make releasable wakeboard bindings like they do hard shells for skiis. It also has to be durable - I take good care of my stuff, but it gets well used, I dont want to have to worry about pulling a lace too tight and ripping a boot like I have read about some of them out there.

Anyone else got some good recommendations?? Im really looking at that hyperlight imperial. The price sure is right, and I could spend some money on some nice bindings to go with it. Are different brand boots and boards compatible?? Will a liquid force binding fit on a hyperlight board?

I was able to try out the Imperial this weekend. It has ALOT of pop but it is a bit harder to set your edge. I like to only go out a 10-15 ft and set my edge and go. With this board you have to go out a bit further and start setting your edge earlier. Maybe after you get use to it you can really progress with it. I was uncomfortable in the bindings so i only rode one set and went back to my board. I have the Ibex coming this week, i will update on that after next weekend.

so over all i would say about the Imperial:

Good pop

easy landings

rides high on the water

takes a little time to get use too.

hope this helps.

Edited by txwakejunkie

Chad

I have a hyperlite premiere for sale that has bindings on it but are to small for you it also comes with a bag asking 180.00 for all board is in great shape only rode a few times also on sale forum. post-4846-1211858056_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys!!

wakeup: thanks for all the great info. I will take it to heart. There are NO pro shops around here anywhere. Just not something anybody has. There might be a local bike shop that carries a few wet suits and MAYBE one board, but they wouldn't be too keen on letting me demo it, and i'm sure its a beginner board at best. Besides that it's pretty much Dicks sporting goods or the like... I DO have a few buddies and a bunch of girls on the lake that board, and some of them are very good. I've spent lots of time with them, talking, boarding...etc, and I have tried a few of their boards. The best conclusion I came too was that ANY board was a HUGE improvement over mine. I did not fall in love with any of their boards, probably because for one reason or another none of their boards were the correct set up for me (too small a board, set up funky, huge bindings...etc). I even rode a bright pink hyperlight syn, and honestly, I enjoyed ever moment I was on that board!! (but, it was too small for me). So my experience to demo boards is limited, and honestly, I think I'm lousy enough at the sport where any board will help me improve over what I've got now!

As for a budget, I don't really have a set one. I suppose I'd like to be somewhere under 400 for both bindings and board, if possible. BUT, if I've got to spend an extra 50 or 100 bucks to get something that will be really beneficial to me in some way, then convince me and I'll do it. I like the idea of buying 2007 or 2006 leftover new equipment. It seems like there are some great deals to be found on that stuff

I realize bindings are a very important part of the set up also. I am keeping tabs on another thread asking about bindings. Since I share the board a fair amount with friends and family, I want a binding that is easy to get into (hinge??), and for me, I would like something that is tight and secure, but most importantly something that will release or be forgiving when I take a nasty digger (I have very bad knees). Its too bad they don't make releasable wakeboard bindings like they do hard shells for skiis. It also has to be durable - I take good care of my stuff, but it gets well used, I dont want to have to worry about pulling a lace too tight and ripping a boot like I have read about some of them out there.

I was able to try out the Imperial this weekend. It has ALOT of pop but it is a bit harder to set your edge. I like to only go out a 10-15 ft and set my edge and go. With this board you have to go out a bit further and start setting your edge earlier. Maybe after you get use to it you can really progress with it. I was uncomfortable in the bindings so i only rode one set and went back to my board. I have the Ibex coming this week, i will update on that after next weekend.

so over all i would say about the Imperial:

Good pop

easy landings

rides high on the water

takes a little time to get use too.

hope this helps.

thanks dude. thats some good info!

Chad

I have a hyperlite premiere for sale that has bindings on it but are to small for you it also comes with a bag asking 180.00 for all board is in great shape only rode a few times also on sale forum. post-4846-1211858056_thumb.jpg

Maybe...what size are the bindings and what year and size is the board?

Ok, MY Awesome wife bought me a Ibex144 for my birthday. Yahoo.gif I tried it out today and here is the report.

The pop was INSANE, you can get all the air you can handle!

The landings are very soft compared to other boards I have been on.

It is very easy to butter slide or surface 180.

It took me 3 sessions to be as comfortable as i was on my board i have been riding for 2 and a half years now.

It feels like riding with out fins at first then you get use to it.

Very fun board to ride and great looking too!!!

I give this board two thumbs up for sure. Thumbup.gif cant wait to go ride again!

Edited by txwakejunkie
  • 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for the info. I picked up a hyperlite imperial 140 and cwb faction bindings. So far I LOVE it. The bindings are awesome!! Easy to get into, comfortable, good control...etc. The board seems stable, forgiving on landings, good pop. I dont have alot to compair it too, and I'm not the greatest rider, but I'm sure having a blast riding it. Thanks for all the great info!

Now I need to find a good rope. I'll start a new thread.

Thanks again,

Chad