Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Welds Cracking

Guest johnhanley

hmmmmm welded with the wrong rod, or stress load is to much, or crappy welder

its not a big deal, if its under warranty bring it back, if not go to a local truck body shop and get then to grind out the old weld metal and weld it back up. try to get the actual material that the tower is made out of so the body shop can use the right rod to weld it up.

Anyone else have this problem. I think it is from running to fast in the chop across the lake?

Post pictures of tower and specific close ups of failed welds for additional info on repairing this situation.

I've seen this happen on several different brands of towers. The old Metcraft towers that came stock on Tige's & Calabrias were terrible. We've seen AirBooms & New Dimensions get completely torn off the boat by the rider. Or the stock MC towers on the X1 or X2..... hence their recall for the cross braces.

Plus tons of homemade jobs that were never made right to begin with.

What make is yours?

It happened to mine over the last 2 seasons. A Skylon Swoop that was put on the boat in 2002. Mine cracked at the top section of the tower. It wasn't at a weld but rather where the tubing was sectioned and through bolted. The aluminum cracked where the bolts were recessed through the solid tubing. Although I do place the blame on myself for having a speaker box that weighs about 75 lbs, I do not think that the failure would have occured if the tubing wasn't sectioned. I have yet to see another swoop tower that has the same bolt design. Luckily a friend owns a muffler shop so the section is getting cut out, sleeved and then braced with some aluminium plating.

. We've seen AirBooms & New Dimensions get completely torn off the boat by the rider.

Can you get film footage of this? I'd like to see the look on the riders face when that happens

. We've seen AirBooms & New Dimensions get completely torn off the boat by the rider.

Can you get film footage of this? I'd like to see the look on the riders face when that happens

Hopefully it will be mid Raley. I would pay money for that.

Guest johnhanley

Hopefully it will be mid Raley. I would pay money for that.

Sorry guys been at work. I bought the boat used and on the side of the tower it says Zero Flex so I am assuming it is MC design. Hit the links to see the welds.

The cracks are on the top of the rear poles where the 3rd top brace ties-in to the front tower pole

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/j...os/IMG_6780.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/j...os/IMG_6781.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/j...os/IMG_6782.jpg

I did take the tower off and have it in a fab shop getting repaired, just curious as to why they cracked out

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/j...os/IMG_6784.jpg

Looks like it could have been a bad weld,maybe had it set a little too hot. Whats the fab shop think?

That tower looks like it has been broken and repaired before. I dont get the need for the broken weld to be there in the first place. It doesnt seem to be the weld that hold the two pieces together.

Is that a big monster tube in the back of the truck? Where you pulling that at the time?

Edited by txwakejunkie
Guest johnhanley
That tower looks like it has been broken and repaired before. I dont get the need for the broken weld to be there in the first place. It doesnt seem to be the weld that hold the two pieces together.

Is that a big monster tube in the back of the truck? Where you pulling that at the time?

Yes, monster tube, but pulled it from back of the boat. It could have been from pulling my fat arse wakeboarding! I didn't notice the cracks until the end of the weekend so I really don't know when it happened.

AF1