Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any recommendations for used boat

Guest johnhanley

Guest johnhanley

Bought a Malibu Euro F4 from a guy in Houston. Boat is in excellent condition. I have some questions about the engine though. I took it in to get serviced and they told me everything checked out ok, but the boat runs cold. (No thermostat). Is it ok to run without the thermostat or should I put one in?

Thanks

Hanley

Engine:

Chevy 350

260 HP Mercruiser

4 blade prop

You should have a thermostat for quicker warm up on the engine..I would wonder why someone took it out??

Guest johnhanley
You should have a thermostat for quicker warm up on the engine..I would wonder why someone took it out??

I asked myself the same question. The history on the engine "from the guy that sold it to me" is that at 250 hours he installed some hot plugs from an auto part store and it fried the engine. So it had a rebuild at 250 hours. It has 750 hours now, so approx 500 hours on the rebuild.

The only thing I notice because of running cold is it takes a few seconds to start when I first put in the water and also a slight hesitation when pulling someone out of the water. Not enough hesitation to make it difficult getting up but a slight hesitation nonetheless.

So he just forgot to replace the thermostat after he rebuilt the engine? sounds strange and so does the hot plug theory, but any way your engine will run much cleaner and better with the correct thermostat, if not find out whats wrong before your boat fries another engine.

Have fun with your new boat.

I asked myself the same question. The history on the engine "from the guy that sold it to me" is that at 250 hours he installed some hot plugs from an auto part store and it fried the engine. So it had a rebuild at 250 hours. It has 750 hours now, so approx 500 hours on the rebuild.

The only thing I notice because of running cold is it takes a few seconds to start when I first put in the water and also a slight hesitation when pulling someone out of the water. Not enough hesitation to make it difficult getting up but a slight hesitation nonetheless.

The first thing I would do is make sure he's got the right plugs in it now and install a thermostat. I think Big D is right to question his explanations as it seems fishy to me too.

Guest johnhanley

The first thing I would do is make sure he's got the right plugs in it now and install a thermostat. I think Big D is right to question his explanations as it seems fishy to me too.

I called the previos owner today and asked about the thermostat and he said he has ran without it for couple of years. His reasoning was that when he pulled up to the edge of the river sand or trash could possibly clog it up and overheat. Make any sense to you guys? The boat is now specifically on a lake so what do you guys think?

First I hope you don't ever drive any boat in shallow enough water where sucking up sand would be a concern. Besides that, I'd definitely change the impeller if thats what the previous owner was doing, also add the correct thermostat and flush your system with a fake a lake or something similar to clean a debris out.