Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hammerhead Oil Level

I just checked my oil level and it is a good 2" over the fill line. Oil looks very clean, just too much. I see in the Indmar manual a reference to a condition they call "making oil", that supposedly happens when this motor is run only in short times, as it would on a small ski lake. They recommend changing the oil every 25 hours if you run your boat like this. I'm only at about 18 hrs since the last oil change, but needless to say I am taking it in tomorrow for a change. Has anyone else experienced this?

I just checked my oil level and it is a good 2" over the fill line. Oil looks very clean, just too much. I see in the Indmar manual a reference to a condition they call "making oil", that supposedly happens when this motor is run only in short times, as it would on a small ski lake. They recommend changing the oil every 25 hours if you run your boat like this. I'm only at about 18 hrs since the last oil change, but needless to say I am taking it in tomorrow for a change. Has anyone else experienced this?

Shocking.gif WOW, if I had to take my Bu in every 25 hours for a oil change, I'd go broke! Can you change it yourself? It's really pretty easy, but to each his own Dontknow.gif

2"over the full mark isn't as much over as you may think. The dipstick in that engine is almost horizontal when it goes into the oil pan so very little change in the oil level shows up as a big change on the dipstick.

I am assuming you have asome time on your engine and have not seen this issue in the past. If this has never happened before there are some things that should be checked. Is the engine coming up to temperature? If it isn't warming up it will cause the computer to add more fuel like it has to for a cold start. If you have access to a fuel pressure tester? The next couple of things require a fuel pressure tester. Is the fuel pressure too high? Should be close to 60 PSI. If it is too high more fuel will flow through the injectors when they open. Does the fuel system hold pressure? There should be some fuel pressure in the fuel rail after the engine is shut off and it should hold it for a very long time. If it doesn't hold pressure you may have a stuck injector that is dumping fuel when it shouldn't be.

Larry Engelbert

Indmar Service

Power to the Sport

2"over the full mark isn't as much over as you may think. The dipstick in that engine is almost horizontal when it goes into the oil pan so very little change in the oil level shows up as a big change on the dipstick.

I am assuming you have asome time on your engine and have not seen this issue in the past. If this has never happened before there are some things that should be checked. Is the engine coming up to temperature? If it isn't warming up it will cause the computer to add more fuel like it has to for a cold start. If you have access to a fuel pressure tester? The next couple of things require a fuel pressure tester. Is the fuel pressure too high? Should be close to 60 PSI. If it is too high more fuel will flow through the injectors when they open. Does the fuel system hold pressure? There should be some fuel pressure in the fuel rail after the engine is shut off and it should hold it for a very long time. If it doesn't hold pressure you may have a stuck injector that is dumping fuel when it shouldn't be.

Larry Engelbert

Indmar Service

Power to the Sport

Thanks for the help. I have not seen this before, but I've only had the boat for 12 months/98 hrs. I will ask the dealer to check the fuel system as you suggest.

Larry Engelbert

Indmar Service

Power to the Sport

Larry, it's great to have an Indmar Service person on our site. THANKS for being part of the family. Me thinks we'll be asking you a lot of questions in the future.

Like this one. (Sorry for the hijack). I have a '98 RLX with the carby. One of the manuals I got with the boat says redline is 4800.... other folks on the site who have later model carbies say it's 5000. Also, don't know if it has a rev limiter. Any ideas? (Hijack off)

Edited by doughickey

How warm does the engine have to be before it stops adding extra gas? My 07 HH has the thermostat stuck open and I've still been running it while I wait on my turn at the dealer. It makes up to 120-130 degrees but doesn't go over 130 all day. Am I going to have the magical oil making engine? Why can't these things make gas instead of oil?

Larry, it's great to have an Indmar Service person on our site. THANKS for being part of the family. Me thinks we'll be asking you a lot of questions in the future.

Like this one. (Sorry for the hijack). I have a '98 RLX with the carby. One of the manuals I got with the boat says redline is 4800.... other folks on the site who have later model carbies say it's 5000. Also, don't know if it has a rev limiter. Any ideas? (Hijack off)

WOT RPM range for a carb engine is 4400-4800.

Larry

How warm does the engine have to be before it stops adding extra gas? My 07 HH has the thermostat stuck open and I've still been running it while I wait on my turn at the dealer. It makes up to 120-130 degrees but doesn't go over 130 all day. Am I going to have the magical oil making engine? Why can't these things make gas instead of oil?

130 is pretty cold. The fuel enrichment is active up to 140 degrees. Get it fixed then get the oil changed!

Larry

WOT RPM range for a carb engine is 4400-4800.

Larry

Thanks Larry. Other folks on the site here with later model 310's say they run them up/past 5000. I've always thought that was risky. Thanks for confirming.