Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

winterization

1999responselxlostlake

I have a 1999 response LX. I live in MA. Is it really neccessary to fog the engine when you winterize it?. I just drain the engine, run antifreeze through it, drain it again, remove all the engine plugs. wash and wax it. Is this enough?

Thanks Erich

The short answer for me. Long term storage on cars, I don't bother with it. Long term storage on marine motors that have direct passages from stored liquids to the inside of the combustion chamber, I use fog.

Wait, somebody give me a calendar. Did summer pass me by???!!!! Cry.gif

I was wondering the same thing!!??

Fogging is real simple and cheap. Its one of thoes things that I just like to do for cheap insurance, and its not very difficult at all.

Where in Mass are you??

Unless you lose the straw in the intake. :) What's your method, Chris?

Hey, wait a minute, we need to pummel the OP who started a winterization thread--not only before Labor Day (I hate that), but before the FOURTH OF JULY!!!

EDIT: And Memorial Day even!

Edited by VinRLX

Hey, wait a minute, we need to pummel the OP who started a winterization thread--not only before Labor Day (I hate that), but before the FOURTH OF JULY!!!

Straws are for children and winterizing girly-men!

I just spray down/up the intake, no straw. At around 1000 RPM and let the motor stumble and then kill it, 20 seconds or so of fogging. Nothing fancy

-Chris

When I saw the title, I thought the OP might be from down under. Winter is starting over there now isn't it?

I'm a carby guy.... always fog. Pull the cleaner, spray into the carb. Spray until it chokes itself to death.

Question: Do you EFI folks also fog? What do you spray in to? Are you concerned about clogging injectors?

With my pontoon boat 30 hp Merc 4-stroke, EFI, I don't fog.... for the above implied concerns. For those who also have either 2 stroke or 4 stroke EFI outboards..... what do you do?

As for those with PWC's..... please don't fog.....don't add fuel stabilizer..... don't winterize...... don't re-charge your battery...... don't grease any fittings..... just let them die a natural death.

I just spray down/up the intake, no straw. At around 1000 RPM and let the motor stumble and then kill it, 20 seconds or so of fogging. Nothing fancy

-Chris

And the shotgun approach is for young punks who don't care about making a mess. ;)

Doug, I don't spray through the intake for exactly the reason you mentioned. I fog the cylinders individually.

-Chris

And the shotgun approach is for young punks who don't care about making a mess. ;)

Doug, I don't spray through the intake for exactly the reason you mentioned. I fog the cylinders individually.

Ah jack but what about your intake? Oh but, you leave your boat in the garage anyway!

And I don't make a mess, the intake is like 3" wide, how can you miss that!?

Question: Do you EFI folks also fog? What do you spray in to? Are you concerned about clogging injectors?

You can fog an EFI in the exact same way you fog a carby....you spray it into the incoming air path. IE, through the throttle body. Fog oil will have the same chance of clogging the injectors as it will plugging jets in your carb - it won't because it's not on the fuel side. Now some of us overly particular winterizers will do the spray through the spark plug hole method (that's what I do). But through the throttle body works and that's most likely what the dealers do.

As for those with PWC's..... please don't fog.....don't add fuel stabilizer..... don't winterize...... don't re-charge your battery...... don't grease any fittings..... just let them die a natural death.

Why all the hate? :unsure:

Now some of us overly particular winterizers

HEYYYY! What do you mean, 'overly-particular'? And isn't that just a bit redundant? Biggrin.gif

Now some of us overly particular winterizers

HEYYYY! What do you mean, 'overly-particular'? And isn't that just a bit redundant? Biggrin.gif

I didn't know if a-n-a-l would pass the language filter. But hey, I'm in that class myself.