Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'08 VTX Delivery Gone Bad

jvo

My husband and I went out to take delivery of our very first boat - 2008 VTX - on Sunday! Yahoo.gif My husband did a great job pulling the boat and backing it down the ramp (this was his first time). The dealer rep was at the driver's seat and backed the boat off the trailer and I thought something didn't sound quite right with the engine... then the rep killed the engine and started it back up again -- I was thinking that it was odd; I wouldn't normally have killed the engine right after backing it off the trailer. Once he started it back up again I saw him put the throttle forward, but we started going BACKWARDS!!!! Whether the throttle was the forward position, neutral, or back, we only went backwards! *$%&**!!!

So, needless to say, we had to paddle the boat back to the dock (good thing we were prepared and had a paddle with us!) and manually put the boat back on the trailer. The boat is back at the dealer's now getting serviced. Apparently a couple of wires shorted out and caused the transmission to only run in reverse. We are now picking it up on Wed and taking it out with the dealer to see if it works.

My biggest fear is that our boat is a lemon! Has anyone heard of this happening before? Any advice on how to handle the situation with the dealer? He has offered to pay for our first 20 hr check-up...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice. I'm really hoping that this is just a fluke and I'll be laughing at the situation later this summer.

First of all....Welcome.gif

I would just let the dealer do what he will for you and sounds like he will make it right. If not, Indmar is literally ONE call away. The cool thing is that you can pick up the phone, give them the VINs off the engine/tranny and they can tell you ALOT about your boat.

I bet it is just a once off issue, so I wouldn't necessary panic yet. Certainly no mechanic damage was done by the mishap.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

Sorry to hear about your first outing going bad!

Congrats on the new boat! Thumbup.gif

Im sure that the problem will be solved and that you will be happy with your boat. It has to be be pretty rare for this sort of thing to happen but I would hold off on the lemon thing a bit longer.

I would`nt start thinking lemon. Make sure your dealer documents the incident so you have a record of it. the same sorta thing happened with my 07 at 30 hrs but it was the shift cable coming loose. my dealer went way out of there way to make it right. I havent had any other issues with the boat.

Thanks for the replies and reassurance! I'm sure everything will work out just fine in the end. I'll post pics and give an update after we see what this boat can really do tomorrow! :)

I would`nt start thinking lemon. Make sure your dealer documents the incident so you have a record of it. the same sorta thing happened with my 07 at 30 hrs but it was the shift cable coming loose. my dealer went way out of there way to make it right. I havent had any other issues with the boat.

I had the same issue with the shift cable coming loose. (it was my fault I bumped it while winterizing the shower.) The boat started in reverse and wouldn't shift into fwd or neutral. It was a simple fix. Just remember if it ever happens in the future not to panic and just to turn the engine off. I'm sure it's a one time thing and if you ask the dealer they will show you how to reconnect the cable so you have piece of mind just in-case.

No cable in an 08...shift by wire.

Stuff breaks in new boats, it's all under warrenty, and it all gets fixed. Go enjoy the new boat when you get it.

-Chris