Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What kind of prop should I get

Thething

I just purchased a 2000 Response LX with a 350ci Vortec 310 hp engine. The only thing it doesn't come with a prop! This is my first boat so I'm looking for advice since there are a lot of options out there.

Here's what I'll be using it for:

1. General boating: 60%

2. General towing: tubes, beginners, etc. 20%

3. Slalom & barefooting: 20%

I'm looking for something that's good on gas and good out of the hole. Top speed is not a concern. GPH is. I will of course by a spare with the kit...

Thanks for your recommendations.

Acme or OJ CNC props are the best choice. Do a search on this board and you'll find a ton of info. You can also call both of the companies directly and give them your boat/ model year and they will hook you up with some good info!!

I just purchased a 2000 Response LX with a 350ci Vortec 310 hp engine. The only thing it doesn't come with a prop! This is my first boat so I'm looking for advice since there are a lot of options out there.

I'm looking for something that's good on gas and good out of the hole. Top speed is not a concern. GPH is. I will of course by a spare with the kit...

I have an Acme 449 prop that will be great for your boat. I also have an OJ 13x13 that needs fixed. I will give it to you if you want to pay shipping.

I have an Acme 449 prop that will be great for your boat. I also have an OJ 13x13 that needs fixed. I will give it to you if you want to pay shipping.

Thanks. How much would shipping be to either Montreal, Canada or North Troy Vermont (05859)?

i would find out what the shipping would be to one of the online prop repair places is, if there is not a local prop place in your area...

whatever it is, its going to be waaaaay cheaper than buying new, so don't hesitate on this very generous offer...

Thanks. How much would shipping be to either Montreal, Canada or North Troy Vermont (05859)?

i would find out what the shipping would be to one of the online prop repair places is, if there is not a local prop place in your area...

whatever it is, its going to be waaaaay cheaper than buying new, so don't hesitate on this very generous offer...

Plus1.gif

Don't think twice, just say thanks and where do I send the $$.

What's your zip and dimensions of the prop including weight? Needed for shipping quote.

Thanks again. I wasn't expecting such a fast and kind response.

What's your zip and dimensions of the prop including weight? Needed for shipping quote.

If he doesn't want it, can I be next on the list. I would love to get rid of my CVP stainless before it throws a blade through my hull.

If he doesn't want it, can I be next on the list. I would love to get rid of my CVP stainless before it throws a blade through my hull.

Getting rid of the CVp was the best for my SLXI...

And how many yrs did that take you before believing the CNC props are the best. Crazy.gif

I had the stock prop on my 03 RLX (13x12) up until about last year when I switched to an acme 911 (13x10.5) Hole shot it MUCH better, holds wakeboarding speeds MUCH better, and actually saved me in gph a little bit. I lost about 2 mph off the top end but never have missed it, esp considerin the gas I'm savin and how much easier it is to pull up a skier/boarder. The cool thing about getting those props fixed...you can get them completely repitched. you can take a busted up 13x12 and turn it in to a 13x10.5 for WAYYY less than buying a new one. I took my stock prop and repitched it to 10.5 as my back up this winter.

I had the stock prop on my 03 RLX (13x12) up until about last year when I switched to an acme 911 (13x10.5) Hole shot it MUCH better, holds wakeboarding speeds MUCH better, and actually saved me in gph a little bit. I lost about 2 mph off the top end but never have missed it, esp considerin the gas I'm savin and how much easier it is to pull up a skier/boarder. The cool thing about getting those props fixed...you can get them completely repitched. you can take a busted up 13x12 and turn it in to a 13x10.5 for WAYYY less than buying a new one. I took my stock prop and repitched it to 10.5 as my back up this winter.

Um, I hate to point this out, but going to a lower pitch increases your RPM. That is, for any given speed you want to hold, the engine needs to turn faster/burn more fuel to deliver.

Though I'm sure your holeshot is a ROCKET!!! :)

And how many yrs did that take you before believing the CNC props are the best. Crazy.gif

I never doubted CNC would be a huge improvement, there was another impediment of getting one...

Mat,

My zip is 22030 and the box will be 12x12x12 and full of foam so what do you guys figure will be the weight.?

I do not want to make a trip to the PO for that, 10 miles.

I will PM my address and you can send a personal check for the shipping.

Andy

Um, I hate to point this out, but going to a lower pitch increases your RPM. That is, for any given speed you want to hold, the engine needs to turn faster/burn more fuel to deliver.

Though I'm sure your holeshot is a ROCKET!!! :)

agree. i have the same boat as OP, i would not think you would need anything lower than the 13 X 12 (i have the Acme, its a 515). You have a very good hole shot with this. Unless you are weighting your boat way down, i wouldn't go any lower.

sorry, i just reread the OPs original specs, and i have the Monsoon II with EFI. I still would use the same prop though...

Edited by jgouveia3

I have a '98 RLX with the 310 carb. It came with the 13 X 13 CVP stainless.... but for fear of the blades cracking (at least that's what I told my wife)..... i went shopping for a NiBrAl prop a few years ago.

Talked to OJ and ACME. A toss up.

I ended up deciding on the OJ XMP....purchased through Skier to Skier. Cost at the time was $300 plus shipping.

I tried their recommended 13 X 11.5..... revs were higher than I wanted. Would go past 5000 rpm (redline on the 310 carby was 4800) So I exchanged for the 13 X 12. Much better. Great holeshot.... good midrange.... I also don't care about top end.

NOTE: Eric Johnson (OJ props) explained to me that the 310 carb actually has MORE torque atthe low end rpms than the Monssons of the same year.

My suggestion is the 13 X 12 if you're skier.......... but if you want to add a lot of weight for boarding, the 13 X 11.5 might be better.

Also, the CNC props have a much LARGER surface area than the older stainless props from CVP. (Below, is a shot of the old 13 X 13 CVP (on the right), and the new 13 X 11.5 OJ XMP CNC prop on the left.)

post-114-1210200494_thumb.jpg

I have a '98 RLX with the 310 carb. It came with the 13 X 13 CVP stainless.... but for fear of the blades cracking (at least that's what I told my wife)..... i went shopping for a NiBrAl prop a few years ago.

Talked to OJ and ACME. A toss up.

I ended up deciding on the OJ XMP....purchased through Skier to Skier. Cost at the time was $300 plus shipping.

I tried their recommended 13 X 11.5..... revs were higher than I wanted. Would go past 5000 rpm (redline on the 310 carby was 4800) So I exchanged for the 13 X 12. Much better. Great holeshot.... good midrange.... I also don't care about top end.

NOTE: Eric Johnson (OJ props) explained to me that the 310 carb actually has MORE torque atthe low end rpms than the Monssons of the same year.

My suggestion is the 13 X 12 if you're skier.......... but if you want to add a lot of weight for boarding, the 13 X 11.5 might be better.

Also, the CNC props have a much LARGER surface area than the older stainless props from CVP. (Below, is a shot of the old 13 X 13 CVP (on the right), and the new 13 X 11.5 OJ XMP CNC prop on the left.)

Thanks so much for the advice. I think I've got all the info I need. This forum is wonderful and members very helpful.

Edited by Thething

I'm runnin close to 2500 lbs in mine and the wedge. I called acme when I was trying to figure out what pitch to go with...they suggested the 911 because of holeshot and holding a more constant speed at wakeboarding speeds. The only thing I can think of is with that much weight it might make a difference in hpg? I can see how it would be less efficient comparing it to the stock prop with an unweighted boat...but with it that heavy the torque is a must. all I know is it has a helluva holeshot and I don't have to fill up as much as I used to...

• 1 month later...

Well after doing a lot of research, I settled on the ACME 515 3 blade prop and and very happy with its performance. 4800 RPM at WOT no problem. Great hole shot. I haven't run it enough to determine GPH.

Jim at ACME was very helpful and definitely knows his stuff.

Thanks everyone.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at a 13x13 OJ prop for my sportster... I know everyone says 13x12 is perfect for the boat, just wondering what peoples take is on this size and what characteristics I can expect?

I'm looking at a 13x13 OJ prop for my sportster... I know everyone says 13x12 is perfect for the boat, just wondering what peoples take is on this size and what characteristics I can expect?

NorCalibu has your exact set up, running the OJ XMP as well. Drop him a line as he can help with how it performs now.

My question - what are you looking for in the prop and why would you want to go 13x13? Is the prop you're looking at an XMP or the older non-CNC'd Legend prop? Big difference between the two

NorCalibu has your exact set up, running the OJ XMP as well. Drop him a line as he can help with how it performs now.

My question - what are you looking for in the prop and why would you want to go 13x13? Is the prop you're looking at an XMP or the older non-CNC'd Legend prop? Big difference between the two

I just got the boat and don't have a ton of $$$ lying around. the CVP is scarying me so I'd just like to replace it and I've found a NIB 13x13 1 1/8 OJ for a good price...

what are the differences in the legend and newer XMP?

I'd like to save fuel if anything else, it already has great holeshot and I'm not too concerned with top speed at this point. I just dont want to throw a blade on the cvp...

If its a 13 X 13 4 force. Its a great prop. If you are looking to save money and are getting a good deal, it should suit you fine. Then when you have some extra $$ you can get a CNC prop, and your Legend can be your spare. I have some XMP's on the way so I can better give you my thought on the difference's between them and a 4 force in a week or so.

Edited by bretski75

its a 3 blade, not a 4. I just want to get rid of the CVP...

its 7 years old so not a CNC'd prop. its brand new, purchased for an echelon with the merc as a spare.

what kind of performance can I expect from this 13x13 legend esspecially compared to my CVP 13x13?

TIA