Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

retire the 'classic', green OBRIEN WORLD COMP?

Arctic Slalom

after nearly 30 years of love, the classic, green, OBRIEN WORLD COMP has reached its retirement age Cry.gif.

the ski was purchased by our buddy, dennis who purchased the ski in 1981 for $245. back then it was a cutting edge. dennis, who taught us all how to ski, can still 'lay it down' with the best of them, but he's nearly 60 now and his back isn't what it used to be! as i move into the season, i'm looking to replace/retire the ski, but with what?

what should we buy to replace this old classic? Dontknow.gif my 3 brothers and I will share the ski.

we'll likely buy a double boot. i've been thinking about the CDX's which Wiley's has. i think the HO nitro would be a good ski too, but i really have no idea how these will handle?!

i wouldn't mind finding a better used ski if anyone has something they would like to sell. need to fit men size 11. we range in weight from 175 to 225. go with the 69? we typically pull from 33-36.

we ski weekends, fairly hard. don't have a course on our lake, but in the last year we have really started to ski much more (since buying the malibu) i'll attached some photos of us skiing so you have a better idea of skill /lack of skill level!

thanks!

post-3641-1210049333_thumb.jpg

me, seeing how high I can get that green tip out of the water!!! :blush:

I still own one, up in the rafters. Dude, the new ski's are much better, especially the boots. Check one out, you will not go back! Rockon.gif

Might want to look at the Radar Senate. It is suppose to be a high performance yet forgiving ski. I just got one to replace my Triumph and if I can ever get my lift in the water, I will actually get to try it. Another option would be a D3 ski, there are some great deals at D3 Waterskis

I think a 69" ski is going to be way too big for the 175 lb skier, maybe a 68" would be the best all around fit.

I still have mine, but haven't skied it since the mid 80's. Check out ski-it-again.com. There are always a lot of good used skis on there. The CDX is a very good ski. A SIXAM would be a great choice too, as it's more forgiving. I too have heard good things about the Radar, but doubt you will find a used one, and new its going to cost you $$. Definately go with double boots. I've been using them for 20 years and love the feel. The Animals are very comfortable. I just switched to Approaches, but I may end up going back to my Animals. Whatever you choose is going to be a night and day difference, especially the speed difference.

Don't sell the world comp. One of my ski buddies runs 32 on his on a regular basis.

Would like to see what he can do on a newer stick. My dad has an old World Team from 1985 and trying to ski on that thing like I ski on my Monza results in... bad results. You can't turn those things without getting way back on the tail and they drag so hard you're tired after you ski 100 yards.

Arctic, check out the Comp/Freeride series from HO. They're great midrange skis that will absolutely blow that old green stick out of the lake.

You will probably find the transition to an HO easier than to other companies. I used to have the same ski, then went to an EP Comp 1, then to HO CDX. (Herb O'Brien was behind all 3 skies). When I was demoing skis I found the HO was most similar to what I was used to. Connelly, D3, etc. all seemed to want me to stand differently in order to get them to turn.

If you are not currently on a double boot, I would have each of you ski on one first. Some people have a difficult time making that transition, and you have 3 people to keep happy.

I had to retire a Kidder Redline with double boots last year because of a boo boo....... :unsure: I ended up with a Triumph and after the initial month of eating wake I have learned to love it, great ski and feels much faster to me. FUN FUN Clap.gif

Don't sell the world comp. One of my ski buddies runs 32 on his on a regular basis.

Would like to see what he can do on a newer stick. My dad has an old World Team from 1985 and trying to ski on that thing like I ski on my Monza results in... bad results. You can't turn those things without getting way back on the tail and they drag so hard you're tired after you ski 100 yards.

Arctic, check out the Comp/Freeride series from HO. They're great midrange skis that will absolutely blow that old green stick out of the lake.

i was wondering why it takes me till the end of june to have enough strength and stamina for multiple set mornings! maybe with a new ski I will be using less gas cuz it pulls easier!!! Yahoo.gif

the cdx is about $550 with double boots at wiley's

i will take a look at the comp/freeride series...$399 w/ boots (any 07 closeouts on the internet anywhere?)

why in the marketing material do they only say a triumph can be pulled at 32 mph max?

what's with the upper limit? does the ski not handle 36 very well?

i will look around on ski-it-again....looks like there are plenty of skis, but many of them are smaller sizes.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain...postid=SIA05793 -this might work?!

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain...postid=SIA05670 -this would be good, too?!

is a nitro basically the same as a CDX? how is a truth different than the CDX?

thanks for all the input!

Edited by Arctic Slalom

From what I remember, the Truth is a carbon version of the CDX. I know this ski had a reputation as being a bit on the wild side but I have no personal knowledge. The Nitro is not the same as the CDX, it is based off of the newer Monza design but is a bit wider and more forgiving than the Monza. Its suppose to be a good ski.

A used CDX would be a good ski or a new System 8 or Nitro. Try Ebay for some good deals. I would also seriously consider the D3 Custom X at waterski world. For $299, that might be about the best deal out there.

From what I remember, the Truth is a carbon version of the CDX. I know this ski had a reputation as being a bit on the wild side but I have no personal knowledge. The Nitro is not the same as the CDX, it is based off of the newer Monza design but is a bit wider and more forgiving than the Monza. Its suppose to be a good ski.

A used CDX would be a good ski or a new System 8 or Nitro. Try Ebay for some good deals. I would also seriously consider the D3 Custom X at waterski world. For $299, that might be about the best deal out there.

will check it out, thanks! Rockon.gif how do you create the weblink like you did above?

Edited by Arctic Slalom
how do you create the weblink like you did above?

The fourth button from the right (insert link) on the tool bar. Click it then enter the url, then you put a name to it. Good luck on your search.

I'd stay away from the System 8 or even the Monza if you're looking for a ski to be shared. Those are both extremely finicky in terms of binding placement, fin setting, etc.

The truth is a non carbon Phantom. I would stay away from them though if you want something forgiving. CDX was and still is a really good and forgiving high end ski. Great value

Radar Annex I feel is as smooth and forgiving as the CDX. I am on A Monza, and was on a System 8 2 years ago. Great skis on smooth water. Get them in the chop, not so much. If I were to choose a new one today I would go Annex.

If you are sharing a ski the Senate is probably a good one. If you want to go cheap find an HO ASX. Its a similiar style to a Senate, (Wide Performance ski)

Obviously I am partial to Herb's ski's.

Here is a Vengeance (ASX) they don't say what size.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain...postid=SIA06007

Edited by bretski75

well, i found a 07 nitro for $200/no bindings....pretty good deal...ski is in mint shape.

problem is the ski is a 67" and I weigh 215.

is this to much weight for this ski? the HO charts say a 67" is suppose to be for someone under 200 lbs. :unsure:

i send a message to the guy with the vengance, but no answer....

Last year I made a change too - I had been skiing on a 1977 O'Brien Competitor. After doing some research, I went with the O'Brien Allegiance. Made a great buy on it at the end of July. The double wraps definitely took some getting used to. They instantly showed me that my stance has been wrong all these years. I also found that the ski wants you to commit faster - unlike the Competitor where you could make slow lazy turns. I went to a ski school in Orlando in March and got some great pointers. I am happy I made the change and am skiing better now. Now all I need is nice weather on a weekend when I am at the cottage. I am beginning to think it might be easier to win the lotto. Yahoo.gif

Unless you're skiing shortline at 36 MPH all the time, that ski's too short.

yup, gonna keep looking for a 69"....

• 1 month later...

alright....I found a 70" HO CDX (red) with double high venoms in my size!!!!!

he wants $275....this is a good deal, isn't it?!

question is, will this ski be a 'tank' for my 175 lbs. brother? he's 6'-2" and built like a rail.

the 70" looks perfect for me, 225 lbs.

IMHO, a ski that works for a 225lb dude isn't gonna be the same stick that works for a guy that weighs 50lbs less. You're 69-70" material, he's a 67" kind of guy. World of difference between the two...

Edited by edwin
IMHO, a ski that works for a 225lb dude isn't gonna be the same stick that works for a guy that weighs 50lbs less. You're 69-70" material, he's a 67" kind of guy. World of difference between the two...

Agreed. Although if your brother is just hoping to use it as a weekend hacker ski and isn't looking to advance, it'll work. If he's looking to improve on his skills a lot, he should really have his own ski.

Agreed. Although if your brother is just hoping to use it as a weekend hacker ski and isn't looking to advance, it'll work. If he's looking to improve on his skills a lot, he should really have his own ski.

weekend hacker!!! ROFL.gif that's him alright....anything is better than the old green beast in his eyes! he's the free-loading, college student who can afford a $50 nightly bar tab, but can't save for decent ski!

maybe I should just make him wear one of those leaded jackets we used to use for football training....although those wouldn't be very bouyant, would they!

i think i'll get the 70" cdx. my younger bro will just have to hit the P90X and protien really hard! Tongue.gif