Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1st Oil Change and Oil Filter is Stuck

Unfortunately, things are so tight that I still had to almost tip the filter on its side to get it out of the boat... messy job. Hopefully I will figure out a better system in the future so I don't have to spend so much time cleaning up after.

One of the idiots on this board enlightened us with his method and I've used it since. Place appropriate sized container under filter. Break the filter loose, drive a nail into the filter near the bottom, then near the top. After majority has emptied out, remove filter (perhaps using a zip-lock bag). I also place an oil absorption mat under the entire operation so my bilge is oil-free when I'm done.

Don't recall if someone mentioned it above, but be SURE the gasket from your old filter is still on the old filter--NOT stuck up in the adapter fitting.

One of the idiots on this board enlightened us with his method and I've used it since.

I think I just got slammed...

Feeling a little like an idiot today, Jerry? But, hey, you probably don't need my help with that, so, sorry. Whistling.gif

Where ya been lately, anyway? You'd better get things shored up at work so you can have a little ski time this summer. . .

everytime I have used a PZ3, this happens to me. I have BY NOW about 4-5 different types of wrenches/straps to get an oil filter off. I no longer use PZ3's, but only Fram with the grip tape on the bottom of the filter or K&N filters. Havent' had a problem since.

The K&N's are nice -- they have a nut molded into the bottom, so you can use a socket.

Good news is after you get the factory's off you can hand tighten the new one and you should never have the problem again.

By the way I had to butcher my first filter to get it off..... :unsure:

everytime I have used a PZ3, this happens to me. I have BY NOW about 4-5 different types of wrenches/straps to get an oil filter off. I no longer use PZ3's, but only Fram with the grip tape on the bottom of the filter or K&N filters. Havent' had a problem since.

IIRC, Fram makes the PZ-3.

Its those cheap penzoil filters. I work for a GM dealer and we use penzoil and always have problems. The dealer keeps using them because they are cheap. I use AC Delco on my boat.

Its those cheap penzoil filters. I work for a GM dealer and we use penzoil and always have problems. The dealer keeps using them because they are cheap. I use AC Delco on my boat.

GM dealer uses Penzoil over AC Delco?? Crazy.gif

GM dealer uses Penzoil over AC Delco?? Crazy.gif

I worked at a GM dealer and we only used AC. My buddy works at a gm dealer now, and they only use AC.

The only time we didnt use AC was when someone would request something diff.

Edited by txwakejunkie
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem on my 2008 monsoon and had to take it to the dealer to get the filter off. After that, I am seriously considering the oil filter relocation kit from Indmar. This should be standard equipment on all marine engines. It is on Crusader engines.

Vette-ski,

Good point. Yes I am running the Hammerhead and there is basically no room around the oil filter. The adapter was spinning (basically the filter-adapter connection was tighter than the adapter-block connection). I removed the water inlet hose and hot shower line to get a a little better access and 2 or 3 hernias later I was able to get them apart without having to tear the filter apart. Clap.gif Unfortunately, things are so tight that I still had to almost tip the filter on its side to get it out of the boat... messy job. Hopefully I will figure out a better system in the future so I don't have to spend so much time cleaning up after.

congrats. i use a large zip lock bag once i get the filter loose enough to spin by hand.

It may not work for someone that doesn't have any room, but I use the bottom of a two liter pop bottle.

Had the same problem with the boat last year. I did something a little different, didn't take it to the dealer, but right down the road to the Jiffy Lube. Those kids busted their butts to remove it, but they made it a mission to get it done and didn't want to charge me anything. They ended up using a gripper with a rag between the filter and the wrench. Later that day I stripped one of the engine drain plugs and couldn't get any grip on it. I went down the road to a different mechanic who was able to help me out with that too. He wouldn't take any money either. I always figure these guys have the right tools, experience and the mentality that if they can't accomplish something as simple as removing a filter or plug, they're not worthy mechanics. I guess my point is you don't ALWAYS have to go the the dealer, especially when you're dealing with a marinized car engine...any decent mechanic will do...that and every 15-minute job I undertake usually ends up taking 5 to 10 times longer Dontknow.gif .

Welp...true to form, I cannot get my oil filter off EITHER Mad.gif

I put it on myself. I only went like 1/4 turn past hand snug with a wrench. Mad.gif Well that is the LAST time I EVER tighten a filter with a wrench. I have broken TWO (2) wrenches in an attempt to get the Muther off there. Going to try one more time and then to the dealer I guess. Mad.gif

Lesson Friggin' Learned.

Cold

Do you think it is better if it is warm, so the filter might swell a bit? The oil is out of the motor at this point, so not an option right now....but in the future, does it make a difference?

Was the engine (oil) warm or cold when you tried?

Scott I got a wrench from the Matco tool guy, after breaking two cheap whrenches, and got it off no problem. I am sure Snap-On guy also sells them and be sure to grab filter as close to motor as possible.

I did just that...and thought I felt it giving a little bit, but alas...I had only twisted the metal on what has otherwise always been my goto tool for oil wrenches. Wonder if you can get that stuff online?

Scott I got a wrench from the Matco tool guy, after breaking two cheap whrenches, and got it off no problem. I am sure Snap-On guy also sells them and be sure to grab filter as close to motor as possible.

When you put a new filter on make sure that you put a little coating of oil on the seal prior to installing the filter. I tighten ~ ¼ turn past the point where it first touches...by hand. Never had a leak nor a stuck filter. (knock on wood)