Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Out with the old and in with the ?

Dave K

After a whole bunch of upgrades, my family and I are going sell our 99 Sunsetter V-drive to upgrade. Why I'm not sure but everyone else in the house figures it is a good idea so when the boss says yes, I better jump on board.

So what would your suggestion be. 5% of the time my daugther skis, 90% of the time we are boarding and cruising the lake, and 5% of the time (and i wouldn't say it too loud) we tube.

I like the idea of a V-drive because of the room and weight distribution, but that's as far as I can get. Auto ballast would be nice but I can always put it in myself. In fact I could almost do any upgrade. I would like to stay in the $21-23k mark, but..... I do not know... should I look at a wakesetter or a sunscape and what size?

Your pros/cons and advise would be appreciated

Thank You

After a whole bunch of upgrades, my family and I are going sell our 99 Sunsetter V-drive to upgrade. Why I'm not sure but everyone else in the house figures it is a good idea so when the boss says yes, I better jump on board.

So what would your suggestion be. 5% of the time my daugther skis, 90% of the time we are boarding and cruising the lake, and 5% of the time (and i wouldn't say it too loud) we tube.

I like the idea of a V-drive because of the room and weight distribution, but that's as far as I can get. Auto ballast would be nice but I can always put it in myself. In fact I could almost do any upgrade. I would like to stay in the $21-23k mark, but..... I do not know... should I look at a wakesetter or a sunscape and what size?

Your pros/cons and advise would be appreciated

Thank You

Sounds to me like you may not get much of an "upgrade" for the price you are looking at Dontknow.gif I would have to guess that your Bu would be worth about what you want to spend. Unless, of course, you mean that you are looking at spending $21-$23k more than what you sell your Bu for? By the sound of it I would then look at a Wakesetter for your needs! JMO, of course :)

I probably will go up to $26k after thinking about it. I may not be making a huge move up, but I am thinking maybe just alittle larger and a year newer. I kind of like the idea of the sunscape model just for the extra room,

I'm not sure of what the differences are between the sunsetter and sunscape models, but dont forget to include sales tax in the price of a new boat. Tax on a 26K boat could easily be $1500+ That could be a lot of hassle (money, time, a "new" used boat that you are unfamiliar with compared to yours that you know well) just to go a year or two newer. BUT if there are some major differences (or, you feel like you are getting towards the usefull life of your boat without putting some serious money into it) then maybe it would be a good move.

How big a crew is typically with you?

Keep what you got... You won't really find anything better for the price you are willing to dish out!

Plus, it's not a great time to sell even though it is close to summer. This time of the decade you want to sell first and buy second, you may find yourself with two boats at the same time.

I see absolutely no reason to sell your boat right now when you'll be making a lateral move at best. You're not going to get any more boat based on how much you want to spend, and for your breakdown of activities, the SV23 hull on a Sunsetter VLX is ideal.

Stick with what you've got and put the cash you were going to spend towards your daughters education, it will be much better used there.

Plus1.gif I would seriously doubt that you could find anything better than what you've got until you crack $30,000, at least. We've got a 2001 Sunscape 23, and I don't see myself upgrading any time soon. And I wouldn't consider it at all unless it is one of the new wake hulls. The thing to consider with the 23-foot Sunscape, at least in my experience, is that it's harder to get a good wake out of it versus the 21 foot hull. IMHO. I'm always fighting the bowrise in my boat.

And I don't know if it's *that* much more room. I know the people capacity goes from 11 to 13 on the 23 foot, but you're really only talking about a foot or two more of length.

If your boat is running good and pretty much has what you need, why take the chance of buying another very well-used boat and running into problems?