Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loading on an uneven ramp

Malibusteve

I recently gained access to a new private ramp that is very near to my home and without any wait at all. The ramp is a bit narrow with a curb, but the water is deep and there's a dock so I'm using it every chance I get. The problem is that the ramp is uneven at the bottom. In other words when the trailer is backed down, the right side of the trailer sits higher than the left. Not so much of a problem when launching, but somewhat of a problem when loading. The boat tends to slide over on the trailer on the deeper side. I end up having to back it again and push and hold it centered (which is no easy task) as the boat is pulled out until the boat rests on the bunks. Suggestions? Ramp isn't wide enough to favor one side over the other.

I experience a similar situation when loading in a river current (boat pushes to downstream trailer guide). If I don't have someone in the boat to push off the trailer guide the boat wants to push up against, I use one of my bight orange life preservers (we all have them) and lodge it in between the trailer guide and the boat. For my boat, I only have 2-3 inches in between the trailer guides and the boat on each side. Works well and is soft on the boat.

Don't put the trailer in so deep, as long as gravity is beating boyancy it should sit correctly.

-Chris

Plus1.gif Do a little power loading, and the boat will find its way just fine

just get the boat on and then once you pull out rock the boat to the middle. It's not hard.

Or just drive fast over the bumps on the way home

just get the boat on and then once you pull out rock the boat to the middle. It's not hard.

Crazy.gif

MalibuNation

With no transom straps/tie downs.

No, no, no, I'm just kidding.

Edited by jchooper