Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carburated vs. EFI

I was hoping someone can lend some information and thoughts about the advantages of an EFI engine. I am looking at purchasing a 2001 Response LX with low hours, the only problem is that it has the 310hp carburated motor. Curious if anyone can help talk me through my future decision!

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't let carb vs. EFI cloud your decision. The most important thing is the overall condition of the boat.

Is EFI nice? Yes. It starts with one turn of the key and a carb will need some adjusting from time-to-time that the ECM on an EFI handles automatically.

i agree, but after living in high humidity climate areas all of my life (NE and FL), EFI is wonderful the way it starts first time, every time....

If you don't mind spending the extra time keeping a carb tuned properly and are competent working on one or you don't mind taking it to a dealer for your tune ups every year you should be fine.

If that bothers you get an EFI.

your info doesn't show your 20.

if you are a cold weather boater it could take you 5 (or more) minutes to get the carb off the trailer.

not many boats in line at the ramp during the cold weather.

more of a patience (or lack of) thing.

Owned both, that carb 310 is a very powerful motor, and very reliable once you get it set up properly.

Simple to maintain and repair. However, alot of people will not buy a boat with a carb anymore.

-Chris

A well tuned carbed motor will work fine. Although the EFI has a bit more HP, I'd bet the torque numbers are very close.

Edited by electricjohn
A well tuned carbed motor will work fine.

Thanks for the comments everyone...another question...

Can you install speed control (perfect pass) with a carb motor?

I'm still partial to carbs. If the boat is in good condition and the price is right, I wouldn't hesitate about it having a carb.

Absolutely.

I am a small block chevy guy and own a 1997 Response carbie, never have touched the carb boat runs perfect. I do all my own maintenance and would rather service a carb then EFI any day. Just my 2 cents worth. Rockon.gif

I have a carbed boat, no real issues. Have to adjust the electric choke twice a year when the temperature swings about 40 degrees, but that is about it. Takes a couple of cranks longer to start, not as smooth while it is warming up, but within a couple of minutes, no difference. No IAC or control system issues that I have seen with other EFI boats. Bottom line, no system is perfect, in an ideal world, EFI is better, but would not be a deal breaker either way in my mind. The 310 carbie has lots of torque, and there should be no issue with power.

Absolutely.

I am a small block chevy guy and own a 1997 Response carbie, never have touched the carb boat runs perfect. I do all my own maintenance and would rather service a carb then EFI any day. Just my 2 cents worth. Rockon.gif

With a carbie, you have to know motors. With EFI you have to know motors and computers. An understanding of how the ECM works makes the EFI pretty easy to troubleshoot.

One thing I like about multiport EFI is that each cylinder is getting precise amounts of fuel as needed. When I pull my plugs at the end of the year to fog the cylinders, each spark plug looks exactly the same- and nearly brand new- every time. You don't see cylinders running rich or lean relative to how they are sucking atomized fuel through the shared intake plenum. You don't see gas washing down cylinders during flooding or unusually rich conditions. I think this contributes to prolonged cylinder life in multiport EFI motors.

Edited by M3Fan