Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

smart tabs trim tab system

kaiasdad

I've been noticing that some of the newer boats are now adding trim tabs as standard equipment. I'm considering purchasing the Smart Tabs trim tab system st1290-80 for my 93 f3 euro and want to know if anyone has used these or has any insite to the value of this trim tab system.

MalibuNation
I've been noticing that some of the newer boats are now adding trim tabs as standard equipment. I'm considering purchasing the Smart Tabs trim tab system st1290-80 for my 93 f3 euro and want to know if anyone has used these or has any insite to the value of this trim tab system.

I always thought they were for bigger faster boats ... especially I/Os ... in wavy conditions.

Edited by jchooper

if you are talking about the same "smart tabs" that are used on ocean fairing boats (like my Center Console), they are not needed (or shouldn't be). For my CC, they are used for a couple of reasons:

- allowing the boat to be on plane at slower speeds (our flat hulled ski boats are almost always on plane)

- adjusting the attitude of the hull depending on sea/wave conditions (following seas, etc) (i doubt you are doing much sea pounding in your F3)

- adjusting the attitude of the hull for balancing the load (I guess they could be used for that)

- and many other reasons (too early for me to think right now)

by the way, a couple of those points above CAN'T be done with the Smart tabs - they need to be accomplished using a manually operated electric or hydraulic system like Lencos or Bennetts.

The question is why do you want them? Are you trying to solve a problem you are having, or trying to change the wake shape or size, or tuning the wake for a particular event? Knowing that would help answer your question.

My opinion is the only thing you could gain is to balance the boat out. Like if your always pitched to the right because of driver weight. These boats are designed with the prop at a downward angle which is constantly pushing the bow down. The boats that have a ride plate, like Tige, specifically design the back of the hull to allow less lift and naturally have more bow rise.

Thats the beauty, and drawback, of the inboard

MC won't actually use a trim tab, but they have been reshaping the rear of the hull to put some "hook" in it for a similar effect. A number of their older V-drives had a terrible porpoise to them, even in calm water. The hook would force the bow down at all speeds.

My guess is if your weighting your F3 & need the bow to sit down at slower speeds, the trim tab will do the job. But their aren't a lot of guys doing it on these boats.

An interesting alternative to look at is the Switchblade. It's a Wedge like device that adjusts to the point that it can act like a Wedge or a trim tab. Sounds like there are some drawbacks too so check into it carefully.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
The question is why do you want them? Are you trying to solve a problem you are having, or trying to change the wake shape or size, or tuning the wake for a particular event? Knowing that would help answer your question.

Thanks for all the replies, this board is awesome for bouncing ideas around and getting good advice. There are three things I am trying to accomplish with a tab system, one is to reduce the porpoising effect at low speeds and smooth out the ride in choppy waters. The second is to reduce the sliding effect going over other wakes. Finally I'd like to change the shape of the wake for wakeboarding behind my boat. When i purchased it the original owner put a Skylon Tuna Tower on it with wakeboard racks.