Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery charging: any precautions?

Using a "Battery Tender Plus" getting ready for the new season. Any cautionary tales? Issues to be aware of? Thanks.

Just make sure your fluid levels are up if yours is a serviceable wet cell battery.

Using a "Battery Tender Plus" getting ready for the new season. Any cautionary tales? Issues to be aware of? Thanks.

Just make sure your fluid levels are up if yours is a serviceable wet cell battery.

Plus1.gif

I kept my wet cells on a battery tender. I forgot to check the water level and they dried up. Cost me $400 to get new batteries. This time I went with Optima Blue Tops. Well worth the money.

Edited by MUpde

I've had my boat laid up for ~8 months on a battery tender the whole time. Wet cell old school Interstate battery and the water level was perfect after 8 months of not touching it.

Is this battery tender plus the best charging system out there? From reading the website it appears to be a smarter charger than the run of the mill charger. Comments?

Is this battery tender plus the best charging system out there? From reading the website it appears to be a smarter charger than the run of the mill charger. Comments?

I've used 1 tender plus on my 2 dry cell stereo batteries since last summer. I plug it in as soon as I get back from the lake and it's was on constantly all winter. It keeps the batteries and my 1 farad capacitor at 12.8 to 13v.

My Optima deep cycle start battery only gets charged when I run the boat, it's a mule ! Thats better than a work horse in case you didn't know :)

I'd say they're the most popular out there. It's a float/trickle charger. They monitor the battery's state of charge and only add what's needed during storage (not much). Unlike run-of-the-mill chargers that just keep a constant charge on for a certain amount of time.