Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

circuit breaker tripping on ballast pump

Anyone else have this issue?

Just took my boat out for the first time this season (06 23LSV Wakesetter) due to the low water levels here on Lanier.

The ballast pump for the left rear trips it's breaker after a few seconds - filling or draining.

Any ideas?

Couple things to check. You do see water coming in and out of the ballast tank, or through hull fitting?

Impeller inside the pump

Knicks or cuts on wiring to pump

Edited by 06vlx

I had one do the exact same thing. I took the pump apart and found the impeller was locked up...would not spin by hand. I took it to the dealer and was given a new one. He told me that they had had a few with issues.

You say it's kicking the breaker on both fill & drain? On two different pumps?

My thought as well. Unless it's a simmer reversible, sounds more like wiring than a hard failure.

I've never dug down into the details of the system (3rd year, never had a single issue with the boat yet!).. does the stock ballast system use separate pumps for drain/fill?

This is only on the left rear that it's doing it.. I'll double check if it did it both ways - but pretty sure it did. I KNOW it did it on fill.

I've never dug down into the details of the system (3rd year, never had a single issue with the boat yet!).. does the stock ballast system use separate pumps for drain/fill?

This is only on the left rear that it's doing it.. I'll double check if it did it both ways - but pretty sure it did. I KNOW it did it on fill.

Yes, separate pumps for fill and drain (at least that's the way mine is). Sounds like you might have some wiring getting wet.

Yeah...I missed the part where you said it does it on drain and fill....doh! My problem was only with the fill pump. That pump in my boat is located between the engine and vdrive. If yours is doing it on both pumps then I believe you have a different issue as said by the others.

just had a fill pump on center ballast replaced.....same symptom. Not both fill and drain pumps though.....surely both yours did not freeze up simultaneously. Then again, maybe so. Wiring on a 2006 should not be getting bad; too soon. Not much help. Sorry.

I guess I need to double check.. it may only be fill - since it wouldn't fill, not sure I ever checked the drain function.. the whole thing started when we took it out to go ride... filled up the ballast, and was looking a little lopsided. Will check drain tomorrow and report.

"-)

I guess I need to double check.. it may only be fill - since it wouldn't fill, not sure I ever checked the drain function.. the whole thing started when we took it out to go ride... filled up the ballast, and was looking a little lopsided. Will check drain tomorrow and report.

"-)

Gator I bet you have a bad impeller in the pump.

Thanks everyone... that was it.

Bad fill pump - went to the local dealer, they handed me a new one and said 'go for it.. it's a screw and two wires.. bring back the bad one'

Twenty minutes, and it's all good again.

"-)

• 3 weeks later...

Bu' Crew,

I just had the same thing happen on my 06 VLX. (only right, rear fill pump...)

I sent a message to the dealer, but I bought my boat out of state and may have trouble getting them to be as accomodating since I am not in the store or shop regularly.

Can anyone tell me if there is a place to buy the same pump and what they would cost? Also, would a FlyHigh "Tsunami" pump work the same if I replaced the bad pump with one of those? (I know where to get FlyHiugh stuff)

Thanks for your help!!

Mook

Yes...it will screw into the standard 3/4" threaded hole the OEMs are in currently.

RE: circuits popping, etc...the the deeper into my circuit breaker I got, the more I realize those knuckleheads really just threw it together. I had the Bilge and Bow Fill on the same circuit, and my radio was on with the Bow Drain!@#$ I have gone thru the WHOLE thing now and have cut and pasted things to the appropriate circuits. I don't think it is a bad idea to have both the fill/drain on the same circuit since they won't ever be on at the same time.

Also, would a FlyHigh "Tsunami" pump work the same if I replaced the bad pump with one of those? (I know where to get FlyHiugh stuff)

Thanks for your help!!

Mook

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV