Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Won't start after Oil/Fuel filter plug change

25lsvwakesetter

Changed oil, oil filter, plugs and fuel filter.

Cranks but won't start. Pulled off the fuel filter and there was very little fuel in there. It doesn't seem to be getting ay fuel after changing the filter. Arrow is pointing towards the engine. Is there something I am forgetting to do? Hopefully something obvious?

Thanks for the help.. First time for all of this for me by the way!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 25lsvwakesetter

• electricjohn

• VinRLX

• 99response

Cranks but won't start. Pulled off the fuel filter and there was very little fuel in there. It doesn't seem to be getting ay fuel after changing the filter. Arrow is pointing towards the engine. Is there something I am forgetting to do? Hopefully something obvious?

Turn the key on for a few seconds but don't try to start it, then turn it back off. Do this a few times to let the fuel pump prime the filter. Oh and are you sure you got the firing order right on the spark plug wires?

Edited by 06vlx

For some reason after turning it on it's still not priming. I can't hear the pump priming at all and when I pull off the filter hose closest to the block running to the fuel pump it's bone dry...What have I done wrong?

Turn the key on for a few seconds but don't try to start it, then turn it back off. Do this a few times to let the fuel pump prime the filter. Oh and are you sure you got the firing order right on the spark plug wires?

Took off the plug caps one at a time.. Couldn't have messed up the order I don't think but the pump is not charging the fuel system...

For some reason after turning it on it's still not priming. I can't hear the pump priming at all and when I pull off the filter hose closest to the block running to the fuel pump it's bone dry...What have I done wrong?

Check the fuel filter and see if it has any fuel in it.

Mine has a shut-off valve in the fuel line right there by the filter. Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but did you turn that back on? Did it run right before you did this work?

Check the circuit breaker by the distributor. If I recall, it is a red button. You may also have ajared the wires loose on the fuel pump relay. They are in that area too.

you need to add fuel in the fuel filter. take the filter off. pour gas in there so its full. put it back on. it will start now

Does it fire at all? Sputter? If the priming doesn't work or is not the problem, check and make sure all of the spark plug wires are pushed firmly on the plugs.

So I go back out and try to get the fuel pump to prime and suddenly without doing anything else it primes and the engine fires right up andI ran it for awhile with a fake a lake. SHut it done get the crew ready to go out on the river for a test run after all the work. I'm thinking I'm going to turn it over right before I pull away from the house to make sure all is well. Fires right up.

So I'm thinking cool problem solved.

Get to the ramp and the wife goes to start it and the pump isn't chrging again so I pull the electrical connections off of the pump and rough them up to make sure they are getting a good connection. Nothing. Pack up the crew and go home.

So what's up? I'm thinking either 1) An electrical connection is not making contact somehow...somewhere...2) A breaker is tripping somehere for some reason or 3) I have a bad pump....

Thoughts? This is ridiculous Mad.gif.

All I can add is that the fuel pump gets its power through a relay mounted by the ECM. There are three relays mounted under the cover that covers the ECM. The one with a grey wire going to it (plus others) is the fuel pump relay. The other 2 are the ECM relay and the start relay. The start relay has yellow or yellow/red wires going to it. You can try swapping the fuel pump relay and start relay (they unplug) to see if your fuel pump will run, which it should do for 2 seconds upon key-up (turning key to on position). The fuel pump relay is turned on by the ECM so you can't remove the ECM relay.

YOur fuel pump has lost its prime and may have burnt out, mine has done this before after a change of filters. Usually I can just prime the pump and but a small amount of fuel down the throat to get it going.

Last time I had to replace the pump. Frustrating yes.

Replace the fuel filter, again. Be pretty easy fix if it worked. Perhaps you could also prime the fuel line and/or filter somehow.

If your kill switch is bad, the gauges won't even wake up on key up.

Edited by electricjohn
All I can add is that the fuel pump gets its power through a relay mounted by the ECM. There are three relays mounted under the cover that covers the ECM. The one with a grey wire going to it (plus others) is the fuel pump relay. The other 2 are the ECM relay and the start relay. The start relay has yellow or yellow/red wires going to it. You can try swapping the fuel pump relay and start relay (they unplug) to see if your fuel pump will run, which it should do for 2 seconds upon key-up (turning key to on position). The fuel pump relay is turned on by the ECM so you can't remove the ECM relay.

Went out and switched the plugs to different relays...no charge to the fuel pump...going out to see if any of the spades in the fuel pump relay are hot to try and diagnose that way...

As a number have mentioned - did you verify that your dash comes to life when you turn the key to "on"? This will ensure that the kill switch is working, thereby allowing the fuel pump to work.

Peter

As a number have mentioned - did you verify that your dash comes to life when you turn the key to "on"? This will ensure that the kill switch is working, thereby allowing the fuel pump to work.

Peter

Yep dash is totally coming to life. Switched the plugs around and the pump still will not charge. Starting to believe the pump is either burnt out or plugged?

Buddy suggested that I hook a battery up to the leads to see if the pump will charge..Hmmmm I think switching out relays wouls have accomplished the same thing (if a bad relay).

Anyone know where to get the part number of a new fuel pump and where a cheap place to buy?

Peter

Yep dash is totally coming to life. Switched the plugs around and the pump still will not charge. Starting to believe the pump is either burnt out or plugged?

Buddy suggested that I hook a battery up to the leads to see if the pump will charge..Hmmmm I think switching out relays wouls have accomplished the same thing (if a bad relay).

Anyone know where to get the part number of a new fuel pump and where a cheap place to buy?

SkiDim will probably be the least expensive place to buy a fuel pump. After all these suggestions and trials, I'm betting that is your problem :unsure: Sucks though, cause they're not cheap Ranting.gif

Do you get 12 volts to the fuel pump for 2 seconds at key up?

Can you give me the test proceedure again for that to make sure I am doing it properly?