Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teflon Tape on Knock Sensor

cucol

What happens If I put teflon tape on my knock sensor treads? Will it throw a code or have some of you done it and been fine? I only have one wire on it so i assume it has to refrense its output to ground (the block). My boat is in power reduction mode and the only things I did was cruised it (ran fine) came home winterized it (removed battery and put teflon on knock sensor after draining block), tried to take it out again 6 months later (In power reduction mode with beep beep beep. Dealer says lots of codes on computer. Boat at dealership so i cant remove teflon.

Any Ideas???

What happens If I put teflon tape on my knock sensor treads? Will it throw a code or have some of you done it and been fine? I only have one wire on it so i assume it has to refrense its output to ground (the block). My boat is in power reduction mode and the only things I did was cruised it (ran fine) came home winterized it (removed battery and put teflon on knock sensor after draining block), tried to take it out again 6 months later (In power reduction mode with beep beep beep. Dealer says lots of codes on computer. Boat at dealership so i cant remove teflon.

Any Ideas???

Indmar uses pipe dope. Teflon tape isn't as heat friendly. And yes technically you could lose your ground reference.

How much tape did you uussssseeeeeee? Dontknow.gif It should cause anything like that. It has been known to dampen the effectiveness of the sensor, but shouldn't throw a code or anything. I suppose, per Mark's point, that it may not be grounding.

They're looking at it at the dealership? No need for us, if it was the sensor, there'll be a code, they'll pull & replace - done

Just to broaden this discussion a bit. What is the knock sensor for?

To let you know if there's a gremlin in your cylinders. He's knocking so you'll let him out.

He has breezed through here occasionally, but not long enough to mess with my boat. Sometimes he just steals it!

To let you know if there's a gremlin in your cylinders. He's knocking so you'll let him out.

So this is really to hear the engine knocking? Does the engine operate differently when it happens or does this just throw an engine code?

So this is really to hear the engine knocking? Does the engine operate differently when it happens or does this just throw an engine code?

Just like the knock sensor in modern cars, it will advance the timing until it starts knocking, then retard it back to keep the engine running at the optimum timing.

• 2 weeks later...

Indmar said to take teflon off knock sensor because it effects the engine at higher RPM. also UPDATE Thumbup.gif Figured out problem, it was a bad ecm and ignition module. I am back in bussiness. Thanks All for the help.

Not entirely true. It is not a gremlin. Everyone knows gremlins don't exist. It's a Unicorn.

Not entirely true. It is not a gremlin. Everyone knows gremlins don't exist. It's a Unicorn.

I was told that when a certain Rolling Stones tune comes on, the sensor will alert you to let you know to turn up the volume