Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starting Slow

Okay, the boat runs great all the time. However, every-now-and-then after running the boat for a while or pulling someone, I will stop the engine while they get back in. After we sit for a few minutes, I start it back up and sometimes and it will crank VERY slow (not all the time). To me, it would sound like a battery problem. However, I have a 4 battery system and the Dual Battery switch is always on "Both A and B" when I crank the engine.

Could my starter be going out? The electrical wiring hasn't changed since Manufacturing so I didn't think it would be a wiring issue. The connections on all the batteries are tight and not a sign of corrosion.

Whenever it cranks slow, it always finally starts up. However, sometimes I stop turning the key when it cranks slow and then turn the key again and cranks ups very fast the second time.

Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time with the slow cranking. Any ideas? I have a Havasue trip coming up at the end of the month and am concerned about fixing anything that doesn't sound right.

I have 600 hours on the engine. 200 hours were used in Salt water in Hawaii, but VERY well taken care of. You can't find any rust on this engine. BUT, there's always a chance that some salt water could have been in the starter and made it slowly die???

oh, and sometimes when it cranks slow, there is almost about a 1-2 second pause before the next crank. If I hold the key down (engaged), it will speed up and end up starting eventually.

Sounds like a bad starter for sure. Having the juice from 4 batteries is keeping it going.

It's about $200 and 20 minutes to change out.

-Chris

My guess would be the starter too. However, not sure if you have to spring so much dough for a new one. I've had mine rebuilt once and it works every bit as good as a new one. Here is a phone # for one in Mesa (near you): Genco 480-644-9088 and they do marine work as well. Mine took two days to be completed and cost about $75. Pulling it and putting back in is a breeze. Good luck and have a great time in Havasu. We will be heading over there in early June, cant wait!

This is the place that I've used: GenStar Electric 623-937-2104, but they're in Glendale (a bit far from you)

Edited by SCOTTDOMINE

How old are your batteries? I just have a 2 battery system ( gel mats) on a Perko switch, but last year one of my batteries would not hold a charge. My engine was exhibiting the same symptoms as yours. Check your batteries first.

hmmm, I'll check the connections on the starter. I haven't done that. My batteries are fine. All brand new Blue top Optimas. I might have the starter rebuilt before I leave. That sounds like a bargain for 75$ and why not... :)

My worry is, is that yes this boat was in saltwater which means salt in the bilge area while it's in the water. Sloshing around too while riding all day. Starter would seem like the first to go if I ever had salt corrosion problems. I took care of this engine big time tho and sprayed it down with wd-40 after every use. I'm sure that's why everything is still working so great!

I would clean and tighten the terminals first . :unsure:

Plus1.gif

A good hint of corroded terminals is that the wiring near the battery gets hot after a few cranks. Felt pads are a cheap and effective way to prevent battery corrosion:Link You can get them along with the terminal brush at UAP/NAPA.

check where the ground bolts to the engine, I have seen a many of them get loose and or corode. also with 4 batterys hooked together it only takes one to go bad and it will pull the other 3 down.

It sounds like to me your key cylinder might be bad you said

"sometimes I stop turning the key when it cranks slow and then turn the key again and cranks ups very fast the second time."

The salt air gets in to everything and carodes the contacts that will make a bad contact

try turning you battery switch off then take your key in the cylinder and turn it in the starting position on and off 10 times to to help try ruffing up the contacts inside the switch

The key cylinder might have a bad contact on it so when you try the second time it makes better contact

You could try bypassing the key cylinder (hot wire the boat) with a jumper wire from 12 volts positive to the starter wire. then you will know if it is your key.

It sounds like to me your key cylinder might be bad you said

"sometimes I stop turning the key when it cranks slow and then turn the key again and cranks ups very fast the second time."

The salt air gets in to everything and carodes the contacts that will make a bad contact

try turning you battery switch off then take your key in the cylinder and turn it in the starting position on and off 10 times to to help try ruffing up the contacts inside the switch

The key cylinder might have a bad contact on it so when you try the second time it makes better contact

You could try bypassing the key cylinder (hot wire the boat) with a jumper wire from 12 volts positive to the starter wire. then you will know if it is your key.

Keep in mind the key is only closing a low-amperage circuit to the starter relay. I'm not sure that bad contacts at the key would cause slow cranking. I'm not familiar with where the starter relay is on the newer Indmars- on my boat I have two- one is activated by the key and is separate from the starter itself- it merely fires the actual high amperage solenoid located on the starter.

I'd look at the starter relay before taking the starter in if your boat has one.

First thing to do (besides cleaning and tightening ALL connections) is to load-test each battery individually. I have 2 Interstate 31-MHD batteries in my plow truck- something like 940CCA *each*. About a month after installing them, along with a new alternator, I was getting a slow crank. Had the charging system tested, everything showed good. Took it back to the shop that tested it, and talked to the owner... he disconnected the batteries and tested them separately- one was strong, the other was dead as a doornail. The good one was masking the bad one in preliminary testing. All that to say- even new, high-quality batteries CAN fail. They should be tested separately to confirm that they are all functioning properly.

well, I said they are all new....BUT...One of the blue top optima batteries is about a year old actually (inline with the new ones). I'm wondering if this one is bad. I will do some testing that everyone reccomends. Thank you very much for all your input. I will just go thru everything one at a time to eliminate. Arizona heat can really damage these batteries quickly.

Thanks

Thanks for the tips guys. I have been seeing the same type problem in my 07. This at least gives me a starting point. Thanks.

Thanks for the tips guys. I have been seeing the same type problem in my 07. This at least gives me a starting point. Thanks.

I had the same issue with my boat as well, it started fine when cold, but when it got hot it would not start. I first changed the battery then it happened again, I changed the starter and have yet to have the issue again!

Good luck

• 2 months later...
Okay, the boat runs great all the time. However, every-now-and-then after running the boat for a while or pulling someone, I will stop the engine while they get back in. After we sit for a few minutes, I start it back up and sometimes and it will crank VERY slow (not all the time). To me, it would sound like a battery problem. However, I have a 4 battery system and the Dual Battery switch is always on "Both A and B" when I crank the engine.

Could my starter be going out? The electrical wiring hasn't changed since Manufacturing so I didn't think it would be a wiring issue. The connections on all the batteries are tight and not a sign of corrosion.

Whenever it cranks slow, it always finally starts up. However, sometimes I stop turning the key when it cranks slow and then turn the key again and cranks ups very fast the second time.

Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time with the slow cranking. Any ideas? I have a Havasue trip coming up at the end of the month and am concerned about fixing anything that doesn't sound right.

I have 600 hours on the engine. 200 hours were used in Salt water in Hawaii, but VERY well taken care of. You can't find any rust on this engine. BUT, there's always a chance that some salt water could have been in the starter and made it slowly die???

Hey, just wondering if you ever solved your problem because I'm having the same problem. What worked for you?

Thanks

Test the batteries

Test the resistance of the cables

Rebuild starter (solenoid actually)

A bad solenoid will give you the same symptoms. I don't know if they still use plastic parts in there but when the get hot they stick and you get a slow crank. This is a common problem in older Chevy cars called, heat soak on the solenoid.

Test the batteries

Test the resistance of the cables

Rebuild starter (solenoid actually)

A bad solenoid will give you the same symptoms. I don't know if they still use plastic parts in there but when the get hot they stick and you get a slow crank. This is a common problem in older Chevy cars called, heat soak on the solenoid.

It's definitely NOT the key switch, a solenoid is like a relay, once engaged, it's engaged. I have never seen a motor "crank slow" because of anything starter related, it will not crank at all, or perhaps crank internittently. It's either a bad connection (thr ground was mentioned), or a bad battery. I can just about gauruntee the alternator is not at fault unless you have too little alternator for your charging demands (which is possibly with that large a batt setup). I would put my six-pack of beer on a bad battery. Batteries equalize, and if you are using batteries for different purposes i would not rely on the alternator to charge them. Let the ALT handle tha starting bays and rely on a quality onboard 4 bay charger for the rest. That's being picky i know, and a bit off topic, but the problem here is almost definitely battery related.

• 4 weeks later...