Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New CA Law on the way

Mike00LXI

So....

If some boater is acting like a fool, will their boaters licence get yanked? I hope so, then there won't be so many wallies on the water. Clap.gif

So....

If some boater is acting like a fool, will their boaters licence get yanked? I hope so, then there won't be so many wallies on the water. Clap.gif

I am all up for some kind of certificate / license to drive the boat, but what are they going to do about non residence?

Why wait until 2018 ? I'm soooo in support of this. Right now a 16 year old can jump into a blown hydro with 1k horsepower and drive all over the lake at virtually any speed (except no wake zones) with no prior instruction or knowledge of boating law. Thats freakin insane.

i dont think its going to do one lick of good keeping idiots off the water. plenty of idiots on the road. its just another way for california to get more $$$, and control.

big pia for those who are looking for thirds or forths to go out skiing/boarding. your buddies who dont own boats, probably wont have license. guess what....your driving all day... no boarding for you...

We just went thru this in New Hampshire. It is a VERY good thing, and has made a noticeable difference.

One suggestion would be to get it done the first year they offer it, even though you can probably wait a few years as it is implemented gradually by age. Everyone here who sat thru the course and took the test learned something.

It also helps when you are staring in the face of a Marine Patrol if you can show that you took the initiative to get it done.

I see this as a revenue generator for the state and think about this, if you as the owner want to be pulled, someone else in the boat has to have a license to pull you.

Why would sail boat operators be exempt form this?

I am an avid Windsurfer too, and if the word "power" is removed from the language in the bill, windsurfers would need one too?

You can't legislate common sense!

-Dave

I live in Fl so i wont have to deal with this, but this pisses me off. They have no right to Fin regulate that. The reason why they can do it for driving licenses is because the govt pays for the roads. The water was put there by God, how dare they limit my ability to use it. While i do think it would be a good idea to get some of the idiots off the water, i dont like making laws. It just creates more government rule, something i hate. If you cant tell, im a political science major lol. They should go about doing this another way

License have been required in NJ for about 15 years or more now. If you were a boat owner at the time of implememtation, you were grandfathered in to a license. After the initial grandfathering time, the first 10 years or so you could get a license if you took a no-fail safety course. For the last 5 year you now have to take an 8 hour safety course and pass a test to get a safety certificate which you need to get a license. License were never required to operate on salt water but now a certificate is. Has it made the water safer? I say no.

Edited by electricjohn
I see this as a revenue generator for the state and think about this, if you as the owner want to be pulled, someone else in the boat has to have a license to pull you.

I am an avid Windsurfer too, and if the word "power" is removed from the language in the bill, windsurfers would need one too?

-Dave

Taking your comment to its logical conclusion, we shouldn't need a driver's license for a car either. Dontknow.gif

-Dave

Taking your comment to its logical conclusion, we shouldn't need a driver's license for a car either. Dontknow.gif

I agree completely!

The reason why licenses exist is for a few reasons, A- for the state to make money, even though it is not much. B- So government can control that particular area. Take a doctors license. The government limits who can have them. You have to pass your medical exam to get this. Drivers license is the same thing. So, ask yourself, How many idiots are on the road today?? How many bad doctors are there out there. How many stupid things have i seen on the water...a lot. Just because you tell someone that they have to have a license to operate something isnt going to make it safe, people are always going to do stupid things. The funny thing is, in referring to water sports, the people doing the stupid things probably dont even know what a boater license is etc...lol

Washington State now requires a boater card, being phased in over several years based on age (youngest first). You can get one for as low as $5 by taking a take at home test, and sending it in. Assuming you aren't too stupid to mess that up, you get a boater card. The bottom line, education is good, and better for everyone on the water. You think its bad driving a car, what if no one needed to take a test or know any laws, and there was no drivers lic. requirement? Then you would see how bad it really could get.

Edited by TheBlackPearl

Hey in the Netherlands you have to get a license to play golf and I know that won't lower your score.

Why don't we go for all forms of transportation, dirt bikes, ATV's, inline skates, gocarts, mini biles, scooters, snowboards, skis, bikes, how about shoes?

How far to we go with this?

What about a drivers license endorsement for pulling a trailer, will that help people at the launch?

When I was a kid growing up in New Orleans I watched a guy launch his brand new boat and brand new El Dorado (front wheel drive) right into the drink. I know they were brand new 'cause the car and trailer both had paper plates. The driver repeatedly kept pulling forward...... then backing up and slamming on the brakes to get the boat off the trailer-did I mention it was a shell and gravel launch... Whistling.gif After his third or forth backwards/forwards move he slid the car into the SALT water to the hood ornament. The boat floated a while still connected to the trailer but quickly sank back onto the trailer because the plug was not installed.

I am gonna go out on a limb and make a guess that the CA Boaters License exam is not going to ask questions that would have helped this individual out. The LA drivers test both written and in the field doesn't cover questions to avoid this mishap.

In CA to purchase a gun you need to take a test to get a license to make the sale, have you seen those questions?

-Dave

Any idea how Washington State handles out of staters? We're doing a family trip with the "Bu this summer....don't want to get crossed up with Johnny Law.

So....

I am all up for some kind of certificate / license to drive the boat, but what are they going to do about non residence?

Maybe you'll just have to take the online safety course. That's all we did. It kink of sounds like that is all this "license" is going to be.

It also lowers your insureance!

IThey have no right to Fin regulate that. The reason why they can do it for driving licenses is because the govt pays for the roads. The water was put there by God, how dare they limit my ability to use it. While i do think it would be a good idea to get some of the idiots off the water, i dont like making laws. It just creates more government rule, something i hate. If you cant tell, im a political science major lol. They should go about doing this another way

Government (of whatever jurisdiction) pays for patrols, maintenance, ramps, etc. You have no right to use roads, it is a privilege given in exchange for successful completion of a drivers exam and compliance with other laws. Most bodies of water are actually owned and controlled by the government, so yes, they have the authority to "screen" the users of their property in the intersts of protecting other users, just like on the roadway. I agree not every "idiot" will be screened successfully, and people will still be unsafe on the water, but it is a start, and I support it, and hardly view this as overly burdensome.

Edited by JohnDoe

I have no problems with the law going into effect. A new or old boater will benefit from the program and learn something.

My son has been riding dirt bikes since he was 3, but when he wanted his MC license for the street, he had to go through a safety program first. We rode before he went through the course and I noticed a difference in his riding after the course.

Hey if you are bring your friends on the lake with you so they can enjoy the water and then you put them behind the wheel of your boat to tow you, then they should have a cert as well. 1. are you going to put a new person to boating behind the wheel of your boat to tow you? 2. Most likely they are always going out with you and know how to drive a boat, so it would not be a problem for them to have one anyways. I have taken Friends out on the water who never boated before and I just become a driver for the day. I know that going in and have plenty of other days to get my runs. Plus my wife is my driver and she is always on the water with me.

CDA Out

I just get angry, this is just another way for government to expand upon their power. What about guns, should you eventually have to have a license to shoot a gun??

I just get angry, this is just another way for government to expand upon their power. What about guns, should you eventually have to have a license to shoot a gun??

IMO...absolutely

The license will keep the crimials from killing or injuring people, face it the license is nothing more than a tax.

The license will keep the crimials from killing or injuring people, face it the license is nothing more than a tax.

Certain forms of licenses are nothing more than a tax like business licenses for every little town I do business in.

But then again my Electrical Contractors license is only given out when I prove by written test and time in the field that I know whats going on.

How about a law license? Should people be able to practice law without ever being licensed? How about a medical license ?

Should the company that lifts the new HVAC unit on my roof via crane not need to be licensed ?

Licenses are way of knowing people have been trained for the task. Whether they put into practice what they know day in and day out is a whole different discussion.

Edited by LS-One
Any idea how Washington State handles out of staters? We're doing a family trip with the "Bu this summer....don't want to get crossed up with Johnny Law.

Yes, if they see out of state numbers, they pull you over, take your liquor and women, and let you go. Biggrin.gif

Ok, seriously, you are covered with 60 day exemption...

http://www.parks.wa.gov/boating/boatsafefaq.asp

see the very bottom, who is exempt.