Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting Scratches Off of Ski Pylon

My boom clamp left some scratches and black marks on the ski pylon. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the marks and scratches. By the way, I've tried Mothers Mag Polish and another product called CLR Metal Clear, but neither did much good. Thanks.

I'm about to install a boom shortly, so I would be interested to know how to protect the pylon from these scratches that you refer to.

I'm about to install a boom shortly, so I would be interested to know how to protect the pylon from these scratches that you refer to.

Phishfan:

I'm not sure how to prevent them entirely (although a piece of rubber inside the clamp might work), but if you put a height adjuster on your clamp, you'll only have one set of marks. I could live with one set of marks (especially since my boom stays on the pylon all the time), but I have several sets from moving the clamp up and down all the time. So... I finally got smart and bought a height adjuster.

Matt.

I tried the route of putting some rubber in there and then you just end up with black marks as the rubber melts in the heat, etc... Just take some fine-grained sand paper to it and you'll be fine.

My boom clamp left some scratches and black marks on the ski pylon. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the marks and scratches. By the way, I've tried Mothers Mag Polish and another product called CLR Metal Clear, but neither did much good. Thanks.

I used some aluminum polish on a sock & played shoe shine boy - polishing with the grooves ( horizontally ) - like new.

Are we talking aluminum or chrome pylons? Clamp-on (ECI) or permanent mount booms (BI)? To prevent scratches, I but a layer of tape for shrink wrap repairs (the bleu one) on my BI mount, I trimmed it neatly with a razor blade so it doesn't show. I have tried it on my chrome pylon and 2 years later...no scratches! On my previous aluminum pylon, the previous owner had taken care to mark practically the entire pylon... to remove the marks, I cut a 2 inch wide strip of the finest sandpaper I could find, put some engine oil on the pylon, and sanded it (shoe shine style) from the bottom up from both sides (since only half the pylon is in contact with the sandpaper). It did a pretty decent job...

Are we talking aluminum or chrome pylons? Clamp-on (ECI) or permanent mount booms (BI)? To prevent scratches, I but a layer of tape for shrink wrap repairs (the bleu one) on my BI mount, I trimmed it neatly with a razor blade so it doesn't show. I have tried it on my chrome pylon and 2 years later...no scratches! On my previous aluminum pylon, the previous owner had taken care to mark practically the entire pylon... to remove the marks, I cut a 2 inch wide strip of the finest sandpaper I could find, put some engine oil on the pylon, and sanded it (shoe shine style) from the bottom up from both sides (since only half the pylon is in contact with the sandpaper). It did a pretty decent job...

I have an aluminum pylon and a BI boom.

By the way, I didn't get anywhere with the aluminum polish, so I used some 600 grit sandpaper, folllowed by the polish. Most of the scraches are gone, although I still have a few marks.

Thanks again for the help.