Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just installed New Titan II

srintx

Last week I picked up the new Titan II and installed it tonight...install went well for the most part. The only thing that I'm having problems with is that there is a lot of play between the rear mounts and the bolts. Almost seems as if there is supposed to be a bushing between it? Can anyone help? I'm not sure what to do....THANKS

Edited by srintx
Last week I picked up the new Titan II and installed it tonight...install went well for the most part. The only thing that I'm having problems with is that there is a lot of play between the rear mounts and the bolts. Almost seems as if there is supposed to be a bushing between it? Can anyone help? I'm not sure what to do....THANKS

They only thing I notice different, is that the bolts for the front mounts are longer and the ones in the rear are shorter...but not short enough to tighten up to keep the tower legs from moving side to side.

I put one on my boat last year and noticed the same thing. Once I realized there were 2 different size bolts there was a lot less of a gap. When I put the back hoop on I had to squeeze the back legs together to get them inside the foot pads so the back legs won't move side to side, they are stopped by the footpad sides. I think that's as good as it gets. You must screw the back bolts from the inside out.

I put one on my boat last year and noticed the same thing. Once I realized there were 2 different size bolts there was a lot less of a gap. When I put the back hoop on I had to squeeze the back legs together to get them inside the foot pads so the back legs won't move side to side, they are stopped by the footpad sides. I think that's as good as it gets. You must screw the back bolts from the inside out.

kdg, DITTO...I had to do the samething as well. Right now the boat is sitting in the driveway, and if I can move the rear hoop side to side now, I can only imagine what might happen when a ride is behind the boat.

It's almost like I have the wrong bolts...it seems like it should have a flange to keep it from moving so much?

Any other thoughts from you or anyone else, on how to fix it?

THANK YOU!

Edited by srintx

Just to make sure I'm being clear...the movement is between the rear footpads and the bolt that holds the rear hoop to the pads. Just did not want anyone to think it was how the mount was mounting to the boat...sorry

Just to make sure I'm being clear...the movement is between the rear footpads and the bolt that holds the rear hoop to the pads. Just did not want anyone to think it was how the mount was mounting to the boat...sorry

My new titan has a SLIGHT bit of play in the rear mounts too....im going to put some thin plastic washers in there to tighten it up.

Maybe throw a tap into the mount and make sure there is no junk preventing the bolt from going all the way in. Otherwise I'd go buy some shorter bolts.

What is "alot" of play?

-Chris

Maybe throw a tap into the mount and make sure there is no junk preventing the bolt from going all the way in. Otherwise I'd go buy some shorter bolts.

What is "alot" of play?

-Chris

Chris/99response,

Thanks for the advise. The bolts that came the with the tower are 1 1/2" so I just ordered the same bolts in 1" and 1 1/4" to make sure I would have enough room. I hope this will fix the problem?

I would say that after I tighten the bolt tight into the mount the "rear hoop" moves about a 1/2 inch, maybe a little less..

I wonder what is acceptable?

Shawn

You're right, that is "alot" of play. I'm very suprised though because those bolts should go all the way in. How they are mounted doesn't really matter because it should pull that Heim joint right up to the mount.

Either the bolts are the wrong size or the mount was machined incorrectly.

I'm sure skicrave will chime in very soon.

-Chris

Oh to answer your question, you want zero play between the heim joint, mount, and bolt.

-Chris

Thanks Chris!

The front mounts have ZERO movement...I think the rear mounts are correct, I don't think you could get any more bolt in there before it was to come out the other side..LOL. I think it's the bolts!

Have you heard of anyone else having this problem?

Shawn

I'm no help w/out pictures here...

Whistling.gif well I'll probably be no help *WITH* the pictures as well... but I have no idea what ya'll are talking about

Where did you buy your titan II? Give them a call. If not, call titan they will be able to give some help. 916-858-1178

Oh to answer your question, you want zero play between the heim joint, mount, and bolt.

-Chris

Thanks Chris!

The front mounts have ZERO movement...I think the rear mounts are correct, I don't think you could get any more bolt in there before it was to come out the other side..LOL. I think it's the bolts!

Shawn

Never seen/heard of it before, but if you had to have a problem with the install, this isn't too bad, pretty minor issue.

-Chris

-Chris

Thanks Chris!

Shawn

Never seen/heard of it before, but if you had to have a problem with the install, this isn't too bad, pretty minor issue.

-Chris

I agree, the tower looks great! Not an issue at all, just try to get it right!

Where did you buy your titan II? Give them a call. If not, call titan they will be able to give some help. 916-858-1178

Thanks Monk!

Hey Shawn-

Something definitely doesn't sound right. Give us a call at 916-858-1178 when it's convenient for you and we'll get the problem resolved.

Sorry for the mixup.

Jason

Thanks everyone for your help with the tower. Thumbup.gif Skicrave told me to call the office so that we could talk through the details…within an hour Katie (Sales Manager) had the problem fixed and resolved. Somehow I had the wrong bolts to the tower, bolts have been overnighted and what once was a problem is now OVER. Yahoo.gif I’m amazed at the attention to detail and level of customer service that I was provided by the staff. The customer service alone will make my choice easy in the future! Thanks again ALL! ;)

Edited by srintx