Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

changing tranny fluid in 95 sunsetter

i was out changing the tranny fluid and it was a pink milky problem. i assume that this isnt good. i didnt change it last year becasue i didnt use it very much and the year before i believe the dealership changed it when it was in there for repairs. i havent ever had any problems and it worked greta two weekends ago when i took it out.

hopefully i wont get to much bad news about this

joeyd

A pink colored milkshake consistency means the ATF was contaminated with water. It does not however mean that you have a major problem. If your bilge pump isn't working correctly you may get enough water in the bilge to cause that, or if you aren't careful when winterizing water from the block can run directly into the transmission if the dip stick was loose.

Before you freak out, get as much of the old contaminated fluid as possible out, but fresh Mercon/Dexron in, and run the boat while constantly checking the fluid. If you don't have any problems in the first five hours, drop back to checking it every hour. If you don't have any problems just monitor it as you normally would and enjoy the boat.

If the new fluid is contaminated right away, then you have some more work to do to figure out the source of the problem.

A bad tranny cooler can let water into the tranny. Check that out.

You will need to flush the fluid several times until the fluid is no longer milky.

A bad tranny cooler can let water into the tranny. Check that out.

You will need to flush the fluid several times until the fluid is no longer milky.

how can i tell if the tranny cooler is bad

If your boat was not swamped at all last season, that is the only other place water gets anywhere near the ATF. You will have to disconnect the hoses at the trans and cap one end off a put pressure on the other end and see if it will hold pressure. If its leaking, it will not hold pressure and ATF will probably ooze out of it.

edit for splelling

Edited by electricjohn