Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

8100 filter Fuel Filter Change question

25lsvwakesetter

Hey all,

Back after quite some time and have a question...

Want to change the fuel filter and need to know if you need to disconnect the power(batteries) to take the pressure off the fuel lines before changing out the filter?

Appreciate the help in advance.. Dontknow.gif

Disconnecting the batteries is always a good safety precaution when performing work on an engine to prevent a short particularly when performing work on the fuel system. :)

As for your question if you are talking about the inline filter between your fuel tank and the fuel pump, disconnecting the batteries will have no effect on the pressure. It will only be a safety precaution. There is also another filter mounted on the engine inline to protect your fuel injector pump that is not a normally serviced filter particularly if you routinely change out your primary filter and are carefull about putting clean fuel in your boat. I have not changed that filter, and if I did I would disconnect the batteries as a precaution because I am sure I would have wrenches around the electrical contacts of the fuel pump motor and I would not want a spark.

I do not believe that disconnecting the batteries will reduce the pressure in the lines. The key has to be in the "run position" for the primary pump to pump fuel from the tank to the fuel injector pump. Next time you are in your boat without starting the engine turn the key to the "run position" and amongst all of the normal dash noises and beeps you will hear your primary pump building up pressure. If that pump was able to maintain pressure with the key in the "off position" you would/could have a number of problems of which some are a dead battery after long periods of down time, a slight leak would work the pump till the tank was empty and the bilge was full...

I hope this helps.

FWIW, I changed my inline filter out and replaced it with a cartridge type that looks kind of like a remote oil filter kit. It works great and makes changing the filter a breeze. If you want a pic of what I did I would be happy to post it.

-Dave

Disconnecting the batteries is always a good safety precaution when performing work on an engine to prevent a short particularly when performing work on the fuel system. :)

As for your question if you are talking about the inline filter between your fuel tank and the fuel pump, disconnecting the batteries will have no effect on the pressure. It will only be a safety precaution. There is also another filter mounted on the engine inline to protect your fuel injector pump that is not a normally serviced filter particularly if you routinely change out your primary filter and are carefull about putting clean fuel in your boat. I have not changed that filter, and if I did I would disconnect the batteries as a precaution because I am sure I would have wrenches around the electrical contacts of the fuel pump motor and I would not want a spark.

I do not believe that disconnecting the batteries will reduce the pressure in the lines. The key has to be in the "run position" for the primary pump to pump fuel from the tank to the fuel injector pump. Next time you are in your boat without starting the engine turn the key to the "run position" and amongst all of the normal dash noises and beeps you will hear your primary pump building up pressure. If that pump was able to maintain pressure with the key in the "off position" you would/could have a number of problems of which some are a dead battery after long periods of down time, a slight leak would work the pump till the tank was empty and the bilge was full...

I hope this helps.

FWIW, I changed my inline filter out and replaced it with a cartridge type that looks kind of like a remote oil filter kit. It works great and makes changing the filter a breeze. If you want a pic of what I did I would be happy to post it.

-Dave

Thanks a picture would be great. Would the new filter be one you could see through th body to be able to gauge it cleanliness?

I'm changing this one out as I'm using a cleaner that is supposed to get all of the built up sludge out of the tank and depending on the amount of microbial build up it can clog a fuel filter and needs to be changes after buring the older fuel. so i'm prepping for that...

I hope this helps.

-Dave

Thanks a picture would be great. Would the new filter be one you could see through th body to be able to gauge it cleanliness?

I'm changing this one out as I'm using a cleaner that is supposed to get all of the built up sludge out of the tank and depending on the amount of microbial build up it can clog a fuel filter and needs to be changes after buring the older fuel. so i'm prepping for that...

Here is the one I bought:

West Marine Page Link

I mounted it next to the transmission and will take a pic for you this weekend.

-Dave

I hope this helps.

-Dave

Here is the one I bought:

West Marine Page Link

I mounted it next to the transmission and will take a pic for you this weekend.

-Dave

Great Thanks...

Attached are the pics I spoke about for the fuel filter. In addition I also took a few of my remote oil filter that I added about 18 months ago. Removing the oil filter was a major pain in the butt before I installed the kit.

-Dave

post-3887-1209903569_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What remote oil filter did you get? I found an Indmar for about $300, and some other's for about $50. Is there any real difference? I figure as long as the mounting hardware is stainless and a reputable brand, it should all be good to go. There shouldn't be anything 'marine' about this upgrade.