Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Video Camera on boat ?

BB LSV

So after this weekends fun, I got home today and the CFO bought a new video camera. It is a Panasonic 40 GB Hard disk video camera. Its real nice and looks like it is excatly what I wanted.

Does anyone have any experiance with this camera or one like it with a hard disk? After reading the manual, it says do cause any vibrations to it because vibrations while operating will cause it to not record,it has a drop detection function.

My question is will this camera work fine for the boat or is there a better camera out there that I should get for this application. The boat will be the main use for the video camera.

TIA

So after this weekends fun, I got home today and the CFO bought a new video camera. It is a Panasonic 40 GB Hard disk video camera. Its real nice and looks like it is excatly what I wanted.

Does anyone have any experiance with this camera or one like it with a hard disk? After reading the manual, it says do cause any vibrations to it because vibrations while operating will cause it to not record,it has a drop detection function.

My question is will this camera work fine for the boat or is there a better camera out there that I should get for this application. The boat will be the main use for the video camera.

TIA

Hey,

I would think that you would be fine using it out on the water. The thing i don't like about the Panasonic(at least the older ones) is that you have to use there software on the computer. I have a sony hdd camera and it has a drop detection function and have never had it shut off on me well using it on the BU or go-cart, or golf cart videos i have made.

TIA

Hey,

I would think that you would be fine using it out on the water. The thing i don't like about the Panasonic(at least the older ones) is that you have to use there software on the computer. I have a sony hdd camera and it has a drop detection function and have never had it shut off on me well using it on the BU or go-cart, or golf cart videos i have made.

Thanks for the input, and it did come with some soft ware for it.

what kind of go kart were you using it on ?

I have the Panasonic SDR-H200 and used it all last year in the boat to film wakeboarding. It works great. Steady shot comes in handy on the boat and the picture quality even when you zoom in is great. I choose this camera because of the hard drive, but it also has a memory stick that you can take quality still photos on as well.

You should be fine with it on the boat. I have not used a panasonic with a harddrive, but the others I have used were not a problem.

I work in the Broadcast Video Industry and your camera will work great on the boat. Because it is solid state (HDD) there are no video heads like previous cameras had with tape so the only moving part on the camera is the zoom. I bought a similar camera and works better than any tape based camera. I bought the mount that puts the camera right on the pylon and the video is a little jerky on rough water but still much smoother than if you have someone bouncing in the boat trying to hold it still.

Thanks for all the info, excatly what I needed to know. Thumbup.gif

Wedge, where did you get the mount for the pylon ? I think I would like to have that as well.

Edited by BB LSV

it'll be fine. We used ours all last summer without issue. It's essentiallly a laptop drive and they're rated for pretty hard hits before their shock sensors kick in and lock the drive before the heads slam while it's moving. A little bouncing around isn't going to do it.

I have a JVC 30GB hard drive camcorder. I have used it for about a year and a half with no issues. We did shake it a little to much last summer (rough water) and we heard a beep with a message on the screen to reboot the camera due to an error. Rebooted the camera and its worked fine since then.

hammbone, I bought a tower mount a few years ago and have only used it once or twice. I'd be glad to sell it to you for a good price. It is made for a tubular tower (not an Illusion). We now ski 95% of the time, so we only use the pylon mount that we have.

mounts can be found here :

http://wakevideo.com/

BTW they do not recommend using a HD based camera with it.

BB

I bought the AirTrakker from them. I just installed it last week and tried it out with my Panasonic DVD Camcorder (don't remember the model). It worked great. It tracked the boarder perfectly, and once I get it adjusted just right (up/down), we'll be able to zoom in even closer. No problems with the camcorder turning off. I have a Titan tower.

AirTrakker

I work in the Broadcast Video Industry and your camera will work great on the boat. Because it is solid state (HDD) there are no video heads like previous cameras had with tape so the only moving part on the camera is the zoom.

Ah... :unsure: No, it isn't solid state.. it has a hard drive.. which has parts that are definitely moving/spinning constantly. If it had flash memory, then it would have no moving parts, and the concern over jarring the camera would be eliminated.