Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maintaining Batteries

So, my two batteries weren't holding a charge. I assumed it was because they were low on water and I was correct. I think I screwed up though. I added distilled water to all the cells, but I think I overfilled them. After the fact (hind site is 20/20) I read that they aren't supposed to be filled higher than 1/8 of an inch from the top of the vent. I filled them as full as I could. Will this do any dammage to the cells? Also there was hardly any water in the cell. They were bone dry. Will this do any damage.

If those are the batteries that came with the boat from the factory I'm surprised they lasted this long, mine were toast after the first season. I'd change them out for some better ones before this season starts. Get a good battery charger/maintainer.

if you fill a wet cell up that high it wont effect the battery, however now when the gases try to escape it well take water with it. "boil over". any thing this boil over comes in contact with will be screwed. ate up. take a turkey baster and suck a little out. BTW if the battery went completly dry its life was cut 60%.

Also check your voltage at 3 or 4 thousand rpm you might be over charging, cooking the batteries.

If those are the batteries that came with the boat from the factory I'm surprised they lasted this long, mine were toast after the first season. I'd change them out for some better ones before this season starts. Get a good battery charger/maintainer.

They were kept on a batterty tender all through the winter. I was preping for our first trip this season and found this problem.

They are the orignal batteries. They're some no name marine deep-cycle.

Any sugestions on brand for new ones?

They are the orignal batteries. They're some no name marine deep-cycle.

Any sugestions on brand for new ones?

If you're keeping the wetcell batteries I'd go to costco and get their marine deep cycle's, can't beat their warranty. I'd get any battery you buy there because of the warranty.

I'd recommend replacing that/those batts. due to them going dry. Definetely do what Radioman said as far as sucking out the extra water. Don't run the boat with those cells overfilled.

If you stay with wet cell, I recommend Interstate batteries. That's what I have in all my vehicles. Sealed, dry cell, spiral cell, and other maintenance free batteries would be something to consider.

If you keep your wet cell battery on a maintainer just be sure you check the water every 4 weeks or more often, being warm all the time evaporates the water pretty fast.

My little Waverunner battery went dry in about 3 weeks, same thing with the Polaris Ranger and boat battery at work, haven't used a wet cell in anything I own since.

Optima batteries (blue top). I have them now after I went thru what your going through. Never had a problem since.

Thanks for all the replies. I just went and dropped some serious coin on 2 new Optima Blue Tops. Should be good to go for anther 3 years (at least!!)!!

Optima batteries (blue top). I have them now after I went thru what your going through. Never had a problem since.

Thanks for all the replies. I just went and dropped some serious coin on 2 new Optima Blue Tops. Should be good to go for anther 3 years (at least!!)!!

If you take care of them they will. Charge them everytime you get home from the lake with a good charger that regulates the charge to them and they will last indefinetely.