Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ramp Ettiquette

IamN2Speed

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SacRiverRat

• Bill_AirJunky

• Malibudude

• IamN2Speed

It baffles me as to why some guys say that their women can't back the trailer or drive the boat (one or the other). It has more to do with the husband or boy friend being jerks about how they do it than their ability to do it. All of my boating friends wife/girlfriend can do one or the other and in my case she can do either one.

Shannoooooook, you wanna chime in here? :unsure: (she has apparently been avoiding this topic) Whistling.gif

It baffles me as to why some guys say that their women can't back the trailer or drive the boat (one or the other). It has more to do with the husband or boy friend being jerks about how they do it than their ability to do it. All of my boating friends wife/girlfriend can do one or the other and in my case she can do either one.

My wife learned early to back the trailer up so we could get this done. We used to wait until the boat ramp was empty and she'd practice without the boat on the trailer. It helped massively! Before when she used to just go for it on the day she'd always have trouble. Like anything, practice makes perfect so get your old ladies down to the ramp for a few dry runs.

Also, I think it's important to mention the people that think they can squeeze one more boat on the ramp cause they just can't wait to get out there. I've seen more than a few people on our ramp trying to wedge themselves inbetween 2 boats with only a few inches to spare. I mean really, can't you just chill out for a few minutes. All it does is cause tension and unnecassary grief to start your day.

My wife learned early to back the trailer up so we could get this done. We used to wait until the boat ramp was empty and she'd practice without the boat on the trailer. It helped massively! Before when she used to just go for it on the day she'd always have trouble. Like anything, practice makes perfect so get your old ladies down to the ramp for a few dry runs.

Also, I think it's important to mention the people that think they can squeeze one more boat on the ramp cause they just can't wait to get out there. I've seen more than a few people on our ramp trying to wedge themselves inbetween 2 boats with only a few inches to spare. I mean really, can't you just chill out for a few minutes. All it does is cause tension and unnecassary grief to start your day.

You don't have to be at the boat ramp to practice a big parking lot or even a long drive way will do the trick. This helped the wife out so she was comfortable backing in a straight line before you add in the chaos of the boat ramp.

I launch at a regional park, so it's a disaster when we come back in on Saturdays and Sundays. We're usually out early, but come in around noon or 1 PM. Ouch.

As you can see from the picture, the ramps are very wide. Launchers usually use the areas right next to the docks, which leaves me plenty of room to have a buddy back the trailer right down the middle of the ramp.

I really like the looks of awe (or is it disdain?) Mad.gif that I receive when I drive my 'bu right past them, right onto the trailer, and I get out of their way before they even know what hit them. Tongue.gif

Of course, we wait our turn like everyone else, but we take such little time to do the operation that I'm certain those behind my truck in the line are very appreciative. I just wish others would follow.

I launch this way, too. I just sit in the boat and get backed down the ramp. Once we're in the water, I have someone disconnect the bow strap, start the boat, and back her right off. I just pick the passengers up at the end of the dock. Simple.

It's amazing at the dock on the weekends! Surprised.gif

post-3010-1209656348_thumb.jpg

One of our local news stations did a clip on this last year. I hear many divorces and breakups have occurred as a result of boat launching. There is even an old rumor about a spouse getting so upset with her husbands yelling at this launch that she put the truck in neutral, locked the keys in the truck, and walked away while it rolled into the lake.

Too funny Love2board. We have done the same thing at a few ramps. The public ramp at Sammamish has like 8 ramps..... 2 together, then a dock, then 2 more ramps, then another dock. The space between the docks is probably 50 or 60 feet, plenty of room to launch or retrieve boats 3 wide. The look on people's faces when you slide in between 2 others is unreal. Having a Boat Buddy on your trailer ensures you get in & out quickly, leaving them in shock.

My wife can back a trailer better than a lot of guys. She practiced in a parking lot. We told her to put her hand on the bottom of the steering wheel when she did it & everything clicked for her. We use the cell phones to talk between the truck & boat & get it done quickly & quietly.

My wife used to try to hold the boat at the dock while I ran for the truck/trailer. She found it to be more stressful than driving the boat in. Now she drives the boat on and off the trailer and is very good at it. When I get the trailer in the water, she drives right up and puts it on. I've had several comments from men at the ramp who say, "I wish my wife could do that". Anyone can learn if they really want to.

That said, she does get a little nervous backing the boat out from between the docks when it is busy. Most other boaters don't understand that an inboard doesn't steer very well when backing. They assume they can come right in behind her and she can steer around them. This ticks her off to no end.

I agree that patience is very important. We all were new at it at one time or another.

A lot of interesting comments here about wife/husband duties on the ramp. Bottom line, each person has their own comfort level and each couple has their own tolerances about teaching. At the end of the day it comes down to confidence and experience. My wife can back the trailer down, launch the boat and pull the boat onto the trailer. Hell, she's launched it on her own several times without me.

I count myself lucky in that regard.

A lot of interesting comments here about wife/husband duties on the ramp. Bottom line, each person has their own comfort level and each couple has their own tolerances about teaching. At the end of the day it comes down to confidence and experience. My wife can back the trailer down, launch the boat and pull the boat onto the trailer. Hell, she's launched it on her own several times without me.

Then what are you around for?.... ROFL.gif

Good question...must be the...cough....cough... Dontknow.gif

since when is "cough" a new term for money?

since when is "cough" a new term for money?

I thought the "cough" meant taking out the garbage. :)

My wife and I have a great system and yes my wife can back a trailer. It took some practice and still at times has some small issues but she does it.

Here is the system that works for us. Probably very similar to most of you. My wife will back the trailer into the water. I then back the boat off and she parks the trailer while I idle around. After she graps her cell phone and any other things women need I pick her up at the dock not interfering with anybody launching. One thing I forgot to mention we have the boat in launch mode when it is our turn. Usually takes us 30 seconds to launch. When it is time to take the boat out I drop my wife off at the dock she pulls the trailer around backs in the water while I am idling around. I direct her from the boat when the trailer reaches the wheels fenders. After trailer is in place I pulled the boat on hook up the winch, quickly tighten, knock on the back window when it is okay to go and then she pulls out. Again about 30 seconds. I do wipe my boat down at the launch but away from the launch area.

We have been using this method for about 12 years so we have had alot of practice. And yes in those 12 years there has been some yelling, mostly in the early years.

One more thing to add. Make sure you have a floaty on the CAR keys and not just the boat keys. We learned this lesson the hard way when my wife accidently dropped the keys in the lake off the end of the dock in about 20 feet of water. Lose the boat keys, you can always load her up and go home. Lose the car keys and it's a whole different story.

One more thing to add. Make sure you have a floaty on the CAR keys and not just the boat keys. We learned this lesson the hard way when my wife accidently dropped the keys in the lake off the end of the dock in about 20 feet of water. Lose the boat keys, you can always load her up and go home. Lose the car keys and it's a whole different story.

We keep an extra key in the boat glove box, "just in case"

We keep an extra key in the boat glove box, "just in case"

Does that mean I can stop by late one night and take the Denali out for a spin? Whistling.gif

I need to have my brother read this thread. He is 17 and can't back the trailer up, tow the boat, or drive it (around docks/people) and its not cause no one lets him, it's cause he isn't comfortable Dontknow.gif We have tried to train him a few times, but he just gets scared and panics...then gets upset. I wonder if he will ever be able to do this stuff? Anyone have any family/friends who just never learned boating/trailering procedures? Did they ever get it or just give up and enjoy being a passenger?

I need to have my brother read this thread. He is 17 and can't back the trailer up, tow the boat, or drive it (around docks/people) and its not cause no one lets him, it's cause he isn't comfortable Dontknow.gif We have tried to train him a few times, but he just gets scared and panics...then gets upset. I wonder if he will ever be able to do this stuff? Anyone have any family/friends who just never learned boating/trailering procedures? Did they ever get it or just give up and enjoy being a passenger?

Ahh.. shannnooooooookkkkiieeeeeeee Whistling.gif

My dad can't back up a trailer, dock the boat, tow a skier, pickup a skier, or tow the trailer. I pretty much took all that over when I turned 16. He is however a pretty dirty tube driver, learned that one the hard way last summer.

My brother is 19 and last year started to put the boat on the trailer/take it off the trailer. I need to do a better job of teaching him all that stuff this year. He also gets panicky and tends to make me look bad.

I just like skiing with the guys from the dealership, no doubt in anyone's launching abilities.

-Chris

hey mister, in my friend's defense - she was willing - remember we were supposed to get driving lessons from D-Goose last MMD but then the limoncello came out :Doh: and then shannookie had the mishap and she had to go to the hospital :( effort still counts ;)

hey mister, in my friend's defense - she was willing - remember we were supposed to get driving lessons from D-Goose last MMD but then the limoncello came out :Doh: and then shannookie had the mishap and she had to go to the hospital :( effort still counts ;)

She says she is willing... but there is always some reason why she doesn't want to try. :unsure: We'll aproach it again at MMD

My kids have been able to drive the boat onto the trailer since they were 12 or 13. And don't get on me about letting them do that - they had their boat licenses before they ever got behind the wheel and mama was always there with them. Now they can back the trailer just as well as I can - we don't actually time ourselves to see how quickly we can get in and out of the water but we should. Actually, there would be a great contest for a WOW - launch, drive around a buoy, park the trailer, unhook, drive the truck somewhere, return, hookup and pick up the boat - all done to a clock.

Anyway, that's not the subject. Last summer we were idling out of the way waiting for the ramp to clear when my oldest said "watch this Dad, its gonna be good" And it was. There was this grossly fat couple with one of those things that looks like a Baylurker but it has a jet on it. He was in the boat and she was in the soccer-mom van with the trailer. She put the trailer right under the water and then he tried to load it. She kept yelling at him to cut the engine. They actually managed to get the thing loaded completely a$$ backwards at one point. It was pretty windy that day but that was no excuse for the rodeo they put on.

Its good entertainment though. My wife and I used to take a cup of tea down to the benches by the launch at the Regional Park and watch the excitement on the ramp in the evening. It wasn't as good entertainment as mud wrestling but it was pretty good nevertheless.