Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will upgrading my board help me improve?

thoekstr

This is a loaded question honestly. I mean will a new board all of the sudden make you good, no. But the technology out there has dramatically changed from 04-06! That technology won't "make you better" but it will enable you to speed up your learning cuve. And if you're worried about droppin the bank on a new board...you can snag up like an 06 murray or watson, substance, Premier, 3ds, Shane...any of those that are good "all around" boards for a little over 100.

About the golf clubs comments...a VERY BIG factor in wakeboarding (and many other sports) is confidence! a new set of clubs or a new board, though it won't make you a pro just by the equipment, I know when I'm on a new board it gives me that extra bit of confidence to not just "attempt" new tricks...but GO FOR THEM. toe side jump is all about confidence and just sayin "F it!" and going for it! but that is of course if you have the technique too. get "the book" or "detention" and do some studyin. Also a great way to progress if you aren't fortunate enough to be around good teachers...Get somebody to video you! the majority of the time when your out there you "think" you're doing things right...but when you look at it on a video you can easily pick out your errors. or post it up on here and we'll help you!

Look I give props to the OP for wanting to improve. But come on people, he' s not talking about trying to eek out another 180 for a 7 or crow mobes where a specific board type may be a relly big help, we're talking about toeside wake jumps! The board is not the issue. His money is much better spent on boat gas and committing to jumping toeside. My 2c

I know what everyone is trying to say and understand, but I'll politely disagree. Case in point: I had an old LF board I used for many many years and I do several inverts, and have won a few local tournaments, etc. I now upgrade about every other year and from an old board (I was using a 6 year old LF board) to now, the control difference was amazing, molded in fins were great, the new catch free lips for spins were awesome, the flex points were different, the weight swing far surpassed the old board, better pop off the edge, can do same tricks with shorter boards now, huge difference in landings, etc. Sure skill is the basis, but skill coupled with the latest technology opens up new possibilities as well as confidence. So for me, the "board" did make me better because I can go back to my old board and can't do the same things I can do on my new board. Same person, different board. For going w2w as I think the original poster mentioned, sure some can do it with anything even a cooler (I've actually seen that on youtube), but face it, most of us aren't near a pro and just want to have fun with friends/family and want all the help we can get, even if we are just learning. I'd vote for "last year's" model and get something you can progress on, because w2w is the beginning not the goal, right?

I just bought a new Taylormade driver. I have the same old swing I've had for years, but added 15-20 yards and better accuracy than my late 90's Great Big Bertha.

Absolutely technology can make someone better, even beginners. IMO.

Cheers.

Guest J-Ro

If every time OP edges in toeside and gets little grip, his chances of clearing the wake are pretty small. Give him a board that can hold an edge and he may easily do it. If I tried to toeside jump on my skurfer (Which I still have) I think I would get 3 inches of air, and I know how to edge.

If every time OP edges in toeside and gets little grip, his chances of clearing the wake are pretty small. Give him a board that can hold an edge and he may easily do it. If I tried to toeside jump on my skurfer (Which I still have) I think I would get 3 inches of air, and I know how to edge.

OP is hardly talking about on a foam-filled skurfer with straps.

wakeup makes a decent point, but his new driver is not comparable. In that situation, he is making the same swing (even if it is bad), and hitting the ball further. If OP gets a new board he's not going to magically jump toeside (we'll say it's the equivalent of an additional 20 yards off the tee). Jumping toeside requres 1) handle control 2) commitment. Neither factor is impacted by a new board, IMO. But heck OP, I'm apparently in the minority so get yourself a new board!

Hey J-Ro...

I've been ridding a "03 Hyperlite entry level board (motive) and I'm very comfortable on this board. I get great pop and and control, but I can't seem to land a back roll without breaking my leg.

Should I upgrade????

It is absolutely time to upgrade. I'd sell that old defective leg, and pick up a new one at Joes sporting goods and bionics.

Too funny! Thumbup.gif

Woody-

There is no hope for you or your leg. These guys can have it since I don't know what to do with the third leg I have already.

I guess I'll put it up on E-bay.

i want to make a suggestion... you may agree or not.. but it helped me. i bought a ronix covenant (like the hyperlite roam)....and as soon as you get on that thing, you know right away if you are "relying" on your fins, molded or removable. What this type of board does, is it quickly teaches you to use the edge of your board. I say quickly because if you aren't using your actual edge, your going to end up on your face or butt. The most amazing thing though, is after you ride it for a while, then hop on your board (of course i'm talking about a "newer" board as well), the muscle memory sticking with you and moving to your normal wakeboard it is an improvement that i cannot explain. rocker, fins, rails...everything on your board is designed to work TOGETHER. If you aren't using your edge right...the fins aren't going to be as efficient, neither is anything else. You can pick up a used or new roam/covenant for a 100 or so on ebay or wakeworld. Well worth it IMO.