Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will upgrading my board help me improve?

thoekstr

I'm 30 years old and have been an avid slalom skier for 15 years. I have a '98 model year Blindside Epic wakeboard that has some nice newer Hyperlite Parks bindings on it. I haven't ever spent much time wakeboarding, but I feel like I would like to progress my beginner-level skills into at least the intermediate range. I can freeride the board completely comfortably, and jump the wake OK on my heelside, but that is about it........somewhat embarassing! I ride with fins in the board right now, partly b/c it seems like there is almost zero molded-fin built into this board. My question is whether it would make a big difference in my progression to get a newer, nicer board. I don't really want to sink a bunch of money into it, so it still may be something that would be a couple of years old, but I'm wondering if the wakeboard technology is so much better in, for example a 2006 or 07 model board that it would be significantly easier for me to improve my skills on that instead of my 10-year-old board. Here is the link to the dinosaur that I am riding right now:

http://wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard.asp?boardid=154

I don't know of jro is being facetious or not, but I see no reason why you need a new board. That basic 3 stage rocker shape of the late 90s was/is capable of virtually every trick ever done, and it is certainly not holding you back from learning how to jump the wake toeside.

A new board will help with edging and landings but i dont think it is the problem. I can heelside w2w all day, olie 180, surface 180, toeside 180 w2w, butterslide, and have pretty good balance riding switch. For some reason i can not jump toeside w2w. I land short every time, the best thing to do may be to buy a learning dvd to help with drills and technique. I hope to take a few lessons this year to progress my riding.

Edited by txwakejunkie

I agree with J-Ro. I started out riding an older hyperlite, after a couple of years riding I bought a newer CWB. It was easier to hold an edge and the landings seamed to be alot softer.

But that's just my 2 cents.

I ran a shop while in college and had access to every board under the sun. I have ridden that Blindside many a time. I guarantee you that you would be edging, popping and landing easier with a board simply one year newer than that one. Boards changed a lot from '97 - 2005. It's about being comfortable on the board and yours is a few years removed from a skurfer. Case in point, I had been attempting a Tantrum for a year back in the 90's and could never land it. Went to a dealer demo and rode the Super Squirt the year it came out and stuck one on my first attempt after riding on it for 5 minutes. There is a reason there are so many boards out there for different styles. Demo a couple and I think you will be plopping cash down right quick. If money is an issue, buy a year old board. Things haven't changed much in the last few years.

I ran a shop while in college and had access to every board under the sun. I have ridden that Blindside many a time. I guarantee you that you would be edging, popping and landing easier with a board simply one year newer than that one. Boards changed a lot from '97 - 2005. It's about being comfortable on the board and yours is a few years removed from a skurfer. Case in point, I had been attempting a Tantrum for a year back in the 90's and could never land it. Went to a dealer demo and rode the Super Squirt the year it came out and stuck one on my first attempt after riding on it for 5 minutes. There is a reason there are so many boards out there for different styles. Demo a couple and I think you will be plopping cash down right quick. If money is an issue, buy a year old board. Things haven't changed much in the last few years.

J-Ro - You have any experience with the old Iconn Scarecrow? I am in the same camp riding this older Iconn and wondering how much better a new board would be. :unsure:

Edited by Urquie
I'm 30 years old and have been an avid slalom skier for 15 years. I have a '98 model year Blindside Epic wakeboard that has some nice newer Hyperlite Parks bindings on it. I haven't ever spent much time wakeboarding, but I feel like I would like to progress my beginner-level skills into at least the intermediate range. I can freeride the board completely comfortably, and jump the wake OK on my heelside, but that is about it........somewhat embarassing! I ride with fins in the board right now, partly b/c it seems like there is almost zero molded-fin built into this board. My question is whether it would make a big difference in my progression to get a newer, nicer board. I don't really want to sink a bunch of money into it, so it still may be something that would be a couple of years old, but I'm wondering if the wakeboard technology is so much better in, for example a 2006 or 07 model board that it would be significantly easier for me to improve my skills on that instead of my 10-year-old board. Here is the link to the dinosaur that I am riding right now:

http://wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard.asp?boardid=154

I buy a new board every year hoping it will make me a pro-level rider, so I have to buy a new one this year to ROFL.gif

I doubt a new board will make anyone better. As noted someone with skills can do any trick on just about any board. But, like golf clubs, sometimes newer technology can help make the learning process go quicker (as long as it doesn't become a crutch for bad form). One thing that I learned in a clinic was to get rid of the fins. Then you'll learn to use the edge of the board instead of relying on the fin to help you along. If you want to get serious with it, the sooner you get into a decent clinic, the fewer bad habits you'll have to get rid of. Yeah, pick up a used board if you don't want to sink a lot into it. There's a ton of them over on wakeworld classifieds.

Which board would that be? I have the 2007 CWB Marius with 2007 Faction bindings. I really like the fit/finish and feel of CWB but have yet to actually RIDE the dang thing. I know you and I have conversed about the Marius before.

I am always trying different boards and I think my new board has helped to make me better than my old board.

Urquie-

I have ridden that a few times. Honestly, no offense inteded, I hated it. It is basically the original CWB Parks with a slightly different outline. It has very little rocker and is pretty narrow. The simple answer is just go demo a new board and see if you like it.

Vette-

I agree somewhat but watching my wife ride an old board and switching to a newer one made a huge difference in her comfort level.

Which board would that be? I have the 2007 CWB Marius with 2007 Faction bindings. I really like the fit/finish and feel of CWB but have yet to actually RIDE the dang thing. I know you and I have conversed about the Marius before.
I am always trying different boards and I think my new board has helped to make me better than my old board.

I still have my 07 Marius and my daughter rides an 08. However, I picked up a hyperlite Bside this winter and am really starting to dig it. If I had one thing to change about the Bside is I wish it was a tad looser...of course my Bside told me the other day it wished I was a tad lighter.

How does your daughter like the 08 Marius? What made you get a Bside? Just curious.

I still have my 07 Marius and my daughter rides an 08. However, I picked up a hyperlite Bside this winter and am really starting to dig it. If I had one thing to change about the Bside is I wish it was a tad looser...of course my Bside told me the other day it wished I was a tad lighter.
How does your daughter like the 08 Marius? What made you get a Bside? Just curious.

She likes her Marius the 08 is faster but looser(than the 07.) I really like my Bside it a very consistent pop and is a fairly "fast" board. I have no good reason that made me want to buy it but the specs sounded good and it looks cool. I guess if I am going to stink I might as well look good.

Edited by johnsvt

Hey J-Ro...

I've been ridding a "03 Hyperlite entry level board (motive) and I'm very comfortable on this board. I get great pop and and control, but I can't seem to land a back roll without breaking my leg.

Should I upgrade????

Hey J-Ro...

I've been ridding a "03 Hyperlite entry level board (motive) and I'm very comfortable on this board. I get great pop and and control, but I can't seem to land a back roll without breaking my leg.

Should I upgrade????

It is absolutely time to upgrade. I'd sell that old defective leg, and pick up a new one at Joes sporting goods and bionics.

Hey J-Ro...

Should I upgrade????

It is absolutely time to upgrade. I'd sell that old defective leg, and pick up a new one at Joes sporting goods and bionics.

If you decide to sell let me know. I could always use a 3rd leg as a spare.

quote name='J-Ro' post='238433' date='May 1 2008, 12:08 PM']Woody-

There is no hope for you or your leg. These guys can have it since I don't know what to do with the third leg I have already.

I'm thinking I could benefit from upgrading to a new board. Currently on a 1997 Wake Tech Gambit HC 142.5. I'm 6'3" and 230 lbs.

Current Board[

Edited by WhoaNellie

I have now changed my mind. With the obvious "help" that a new board would give OP, without a doubt, he should get a new board, and fully expect to jump toeside. Then if he were to ever ride his old blindside again, I'm am convinced after reading the success stories above that it would simply not do the job. Whistling.gif

Sarcasm much?

My first try, how'd I do?

I used to have a Hyperlite "Pro". In case you don't know who Eric Perez is, he is, second to Tony Finn (OK and to Scott Harwood), the Godfather of modern wakeboarding and this was his pro model, circa 1991. I mean that thing was awesome. It made the "Phaser equipped" original Hyperlite seem sooo antiquated. Blenders were cake, the surf straps never gave you blisters, and you could do rolls to revert like nothing else (just be careful not to stick the 4 inches of board behind your rear foot in the crest). Shapiro was doing wake to wake mobes in a prostar 190 with a slalom rope off the pylon. IF only they would bring this design back, toeside wake jumps would be so much easier to learn. I suggest the OP hunt ebay up and down for one. Take off the 2 outside fins and I'm sure you'll be jumping toeside in no time.

In all seriosness OP, if you're trying to learn to jump toeside, shorten the rope, bite the bullett, and jump the wake! It's not even moving! If you're not able to jump the wake toeside, a new board will not change that. I'd suggest learning how to and then getting a new board for learning other stuff where pop, flex, and softness actually matter.

New gear always tends to renew my enthusiasm for getting out there & riding. But it also takes commitment. If you don't commit to going for it, then a new board doesn't do a thing.

Having friends who go with me & "encourage" me to go for it also helps. Your definition of "encourage" might be like ours ..... yelling "get your panties out of your a** you wuss"..... or might not. Rockon.gif

No pain, no gain!

Either way might be motivating for you.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky