Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion tower aluminum grade

I know that whatever grade of AL it is, it is soft. I drilled out the front mounts on mine to install bushings because the prior owner used the wrong bolts (full threaded bolts vs. ones with a shoulder) and the clearance holes in the tower were wallowed (sp?) out to a point that made it loose. When I drilled out the tower to install 5/8" bushings I was very surprised at how easy the hole was to drill. Imagine drilling through a piece of 3/4 in plywood, it is a really soft grade.

-Dave

Anyone happen to know what grade aluminum the Illusion towers are made from?

It would have to be 6061-T6

( tempered )

Since its aluminum it is still soft - the tempering allows it to recover its shape to a certain extent untill overstressed.

Its the wall thickness that adds the beef.

as many as they have had break i would say the cheapest you can get grade.

its cast . like pot metal

I've never heard and or seen an illusion tower break, let's see some pictures.

I dont have pics but wakeangel might. We were riding with them and we hit some wake from another boat. When we hit the wake it was like a .45 pistol going off in our ear's. We pullled the boat to the bank to find that the tower had broken around the board rack mounts. I believe that wakeangel took pics before taking the boat in for a tower replacement. Local dealer owner was at the river at the time so he got to see it in person min after it happened. He took care of it 100%.

Edited by txwakejunkie

I dont have pics but wakeangel might. We were riding with them and we hit some wake from another boat. When we hit the wake it was like a .45 pistol going off in our ear's. We pullled the boat to the bank to find that the tower had broken around the board rack mounts. I believe that wakeangel took pics before taking the boat in for a tower replacement. Local dealer owner was at the river at the time so he got to see it in person min after it happened. He took care of it 100%.

That's the first one I've ever heard of. But, you speak as if there are many.