Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Breking in my Malibu

Parks

Hey guys I am about to put my new boat in the water for the first time. Just wanted to get some advice on how to break in my boat the best way.

here we go...

some say drive it like you stole it...

some follow the break in advice in the manual...

some use their own magical program...

some don't know they have to break it in...

what is best? Who knows!?

follow the directions in the indmar manuel. keep in mind that your ecu keeps a record of every thing your motor does. that way if there is ever a problem in the future no one can say anything about it.

I think the basic rule of thumb is to not run it wide open & not sit at any one RPM for more than a few minutes. Other than that, take it thru the entire range of RPMs.

I was told that what Bill Air Junky said is the best thing you can do to break the engine in. We have 8 hours on ours now and haven't been at 1 single rpm for more than a minute.

I just broke in my '08 Vride. I have the following suggesting listed in order of importance:

1) check your oil level every hour on the hour for the first 5-10 hours (the oil pressure sensor threads onto the engine--the factory "forgot" to put sealant on this thread and I lost 2 quarts of oil by the 6 hour mark before I realized my engine was dripping oil into the bilge).

2) keep your eyes on the oil pressure gauge and engine temp guage for the first 5-10 hours to make sure nothing is wrong

3) follow the Indamar manual -- it's easy to do and your home free after about 7 hours

4) don't load up the boat ballast, drop the wedge, and pile in tons of people in the first few hours just to see how big your wake will be. I know it is hard to resist, but this puts a lot of load on the engine. Wait until the 5 hour mark to use the wedge.

Hopefully your engine wont leak oil like mine. I don't think there was any long term damage in my engine, but I certainly would have preferred it didn't happen...

-Cory

One more thing... Pick up a spare bottle of oil from you dealer and keep it in the boat. The recommended oil (15W40 for the LCR) is impossible to find at typical auto stores and your dealer likely closes early on Saturday and not open on Sunday when you are using your boat.